I posted this in under another name in a different forum. I recently was infected by malware. I was able to delete it but, I lost all of my user file folders. It totally change my start menu and removed all the icons my desktop. I tried to restore to an earlier date but that was unsucessful. Anyone have any suggestions outside of formating.

Reformatting is usually the absolute last resort for computer problems. But, given that you've already lost all your information, I don't think you have anything to really worry about.

Is, quite literally, everything gone from your computer?

That's the funny thing. My hard drive still contains the same amount of used space as it did before. I beleive all my stuff is still there. I just don't know how to access it. I have managed to restore some it. but there is a lot more that I can't get to.

Does your anti virus have a pre boot scan option? if not i know avast has one that scans before windows starts up. That would get rid of some malware that can hide and it won't find if windows is running. If you have an earlier restore you can also try that. It would get rid of the malware but also any files before that time. Assuming you are running windows.

get a live CD of a linux operating system (I recommend Kubuntu), and boot with the CD. There will be a built in file explorer (called Dolphin). All of your files are on the disk, I had a client who had something similar happen. Copy the files onto a external hard drive, and then format and reinstall windows. Make sure you virus scan the files before copying them back to the new windows install.

Does your anti virus have a pre boot scan option? if not i know avast has one that scans before windows starts up. That would get rid of some malware that can hide and it won't find if windows is running. If you have an earlier restore you can also try that. It would get rid of the malware but also any files before that time. Assuming you are running windows.

Tried the restore to an earlier date. Wouldn't resttore though. I have found the files I am missing. Just have to right click on my C: drive and click restore previous version. Then click a date earlier in thr month. All the files are there. I'll just back them up and reformat. Thanks for the responses and trying to help. :wasted

Tried the restore to an earlier date. Wouldn't resttore though. I have found the files I am missing. Just have to right click on my C: drive and click restore previous version. Then click a date earlier in thr month. All the files are there. I'll just back them up and reformat. Thanks for the responses and trying to help. :wasted

I had a girlfriends computer once infected with malware and when i did a av scan wouldn't get rid of it. But i downloaded avast and did the pre boot scan and it got rid of it. You may want to try that first if you really don't want to reformat.

I used malware bytes. It says I have no infected files. It just won't let me restore the ones I want to my current desktop. So how it hid those files from me. I gonna have to format to get it set back up the way I had it.

Damn that does suck. Right now i use Microsoft's av and it works really well. Rated pretty high i believe. It has been a long time since i had to reformat my computer.

do not reformat. it may not be necessary. do you use windows 7? it appears that the malware/virus just hid your things.

if so:

this first set of steps unhides your files.

1) Click on the Windows Start Button

2) Click on Computer

3) Click on Organize

4) Click on Folder and Search Options

5) Click on View

6) Click the option for "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

7) Click Ok

1) Click on Start, All Programs

2) Click Accessories and Find Command Prompt

3) Right click on the Command Prompt option and choose Run as Administrator

4) At the command prompt type the following and press Enter

CD \

5) Now the command prompt should show the root folder of the hard drive. Most likely C:\

6) At the command prompt type the following and press Enter

ATTRIB -H *.* /S /D

This command will unhide the files that are currently hidden. Because the important system files have a system attribute attached to them as well, the above command will not work for them and they will be skipped and kept hidden from prying eyes.

This command will take some time, so dont be afraid if it takes anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour to finish. What the command does is simple. It removes the hidden attribute from all files on the hard drive. The /S parameter tells it to search the current folder and all subfolders, while the /D parameter processes tthe folders as well.

7) Type Exit and press Enter when the procedure is complete. Then reboot your computers

try those and if they dont work just so and we will try something else.