Which clown SHOULD we have hired?

Turn the clock back 22 months. Who should it have been?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're kind of offering some false choices. They should have given Solich and his new staff a chance. What kind of an evil jerk lets a head coach hire a new staff, gives them one year (with GREAT improvment) and then cans him at the end of that season?

I REALLY disliked solich, but his second staff was getting some things done-- not perfect... but at least I felt like i was watching huskers play. Now I don't know this team... I don't just mean "option" or "power O", either. There are no nebraska/husker roots on this team, really... They could be playing anywhere. The red N doesn't automatically trigger a pavlovian response in me. I liked the huskers because the staff had roots here. Until solich started losing, I think I had one piece of husker gear that had been given to me. Once he started sinking, I found myself buying stocking hats, shirts, sweatshirts, and all kinds of things. It was the proudest I have ever been to be a husker. Then, in the final year, I was elated that they were doing well. Now, though, I don't feel any attachment to this team. I want to, but I can't. These aren't huskers. Maybe they will be someday, but now... meh. I like some of the players and I enjoy it for them. This is an occupation of the husker football team by a foreign power.

That would be great. I've seen his TCU team play this year and they're good. But it would never happen. As much as I would love to jetisin most of this coaching staff and our fearless AD into outer space, we're stuck with them. If we fired Cally after this season (even though he deserves it), no self respecting coach would even take a call from Nebraska. Look what happened when SP fired Solich. We were pretty much a joke nationally, and it took far too long to even hire the loser (yes, he does now have a losing record as a head coach) we got. The only thing that is possible that I would like to see happen is to get Pederson out. I didn't agree with the coaching change, but was willing to see if things were really as bad as he claimed. "Win now." "We will not surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas." Oh, really? How about Oklahama, Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri, Colorado, and Kansas. Freakin' Kansas! "Rebuilding is not acceptable." Obviously. I don't know exactly what we're doing right now, but it's sure not rebuilding.

Hire him - it has nothing to do with being a certain type of fan, it has to do with realizing that a mistake has been made and rectifying the mistake sooner rather than later. Callahan can't motivate, he can't teach college-aged kids, and we are now at the bottom of the Big 12. This is due to him and only him, end of story.

You're kind of offering some false choices. They should have given Solich and his new staff a chance. What kind of an evil jerk lets a head coach hire a new staff, gives them one year (with GREAT improvment) and then cans him at the end of that season?

I REALLY disliked solich, but his second staff was getting some things done-- not perfect... but at least I felt like i was watching huskers play. Now I don't know this team... I don't just mean "option" or "power O", either. There are no nebraska/husker roots on this team, really... They could be playing anywhere. The red N doesn't automatically trigger a pavlovian response in me. I liked the huskers because the staff had roots here. Until solich started losing, I think I had one piece of husker gear that had been given to me. Once he started sinking, I found myself buying stocking hats, shirts, sweatshirts, and all kinds of things. It was the proudest I have ever been to be a husker. Then, in the final year, I was elated that they were doing well. Now, though, I don't feel any attachment to this team. I want to, but I can't. These aren't huskers. Maybe they will be someday, but now... meh. I like some of the players and I enjoy it for them. This is an occupation of the husker football team by a foreign power.

:yeah

You hit that one right outta the ballpark! I couldnt have said it better :thumbs

• 1 year later...

I was googling Don Carthel, and came across this thread from last year. I just wanted to update it a little bit.

Don Carthel won an Lone Star Conference at Eastern New Mexico in 1991, stringing together a record of 44-28-1 in seven years. He quit ENMU to farm and watch his kids grow. After twelve years, he got back into coaching. in 2004 he took the reins of a fledgling arena team and guided them to a 15-3 record along with a league championship. After that, as if by magic, the doors opened for him at WTAMU, and he compiled a 10-2 season. He brought WTAMU it's first LSC championship in 19 years.

This is basically where the thread left off last year, more or less. Well, today I can say that Don Carthel has led WATMU to its second consecutive outright LSC championship. He's sitting right now with a 20-3 record in two years, and two LSC titles. There has already been rumor of the UNT job coming his way. All I know is that as every season goes by, it's going to become more and more difficult to keep him here.