Fighting Erstads Huskers vs tOSU Buckeyes

Glad to see us hold that 1 run cushion late in the game for the "W" today. I get nervous when we're trying to protect a small lead going into the last two innings. It's been our achilles heel this season to blow those types of leads late in the game, so a big sigh of relief ensued once we nailed that 3rd out to end the game. Good job, fellas. Let's get this 2nd game and call it good.

yes, the conference tourney champion is the auto qualifier... winning the regular season is not an automatic bid

ahhh okay, we just need to finish top 6 then and make a good run in the tourney, so is the BIG better than we all thought, or are we just not that good? because i think majority of us expected to roll through a cake schedule and finally get a high seed this year, and it turns out we are in dog fights every game, with at least one where we get our ass kicked

I'm still disappointed in the way our top of the order performed today. (1-4 spots). Kash did hit the long ball but wow, Pritch, Sang and Christensen (especially Chad) have really struggled. Seems that Chad is just not seeing it right now. Twice had runners in scoring position and struck out both times. Eventually he has to break out, yes?

I'm still disappointed in the way our top of the order performed today. (1-4 spots). Kash did hit the long ball but wow, Pritch, Sang and Christensen (especially Chad) have really struggled. Seems that Chad is just not seeing it right now. Twice had runners in scoring position and struck out both times. Eventually he has to break out, yes?

i hope he doesnt break out, i heard he uses proactive...

yes, the conference tourney champion is the auto qualifier... winning the regular season is not an automatic bid

ahhh okay, we just need to finish top 6 then and make a good run in the tourney, so is the BIG better than we all thought, or are we just not that good? because i think majority of us expected to roll through a cake schedule and finally get a high seed this year, and it turns out we are in dog fights every game, with at least one where we get our ass kicked

some of our struggle can be blamed on not getting the lead off batters out. I have to wonder why. We don't struggle with that in non-conference play but for some reason we struggle with it in conference. Might the corners be tighter on us in conference?

Also, we knew the cupboard was bare when Anderwatson left. Hence the reason so many freshmen are making plays. The team is young but they obviously aren't afraid and/or intimidated. As for the BIG, i do think the conference is weak (confirmed by the non-conference records) but too many of us (myself included) had entirely too high of expectations.

I know you're not asking me but here's my 2 cents, fwiw.

I think part of it is fan perception of B1G baseball. Some people expected us to roll through the conference. Another part of it has to do with an attitude as fans that we've played in three CWS' in the past decade while a B1G team last played in one in 1984. Truthfully, Nebraska hasn't been playing CWS level of ball since the 2008 season. 2006-2008 we started off strong but slumped in the end.

It all boils down to fan perception/attitude, however shortsighted it may or may not be when it comes to B1G baseball. I'm preaching to the choir here, but the games still have to be played and won. Nobody is going to lay down for us.

As for how our team/coaches view the conference, I think they realize that nobody is going to just give them the game. We're in season 1 with a new staff mixed with old & new players learning how to play together under a new playing philosophy. Growing pains were to be expected this season. Add a new conference to the equation and a lot of unknowns creep into it. So you take what you can get and learn from your losses along the way. I still believe this team can and will be really good in the future once Erstad gets his own type of players in here. The future is bright and the potential is there. Just have to be patient in the meantime.

some of our struggle can be blamed on not getting the lead off batters out. I have to wonder why. We don't struggle with that in non-conference play but for some reason we struggle with it in conference. Might the corners be tighter on us in conference?

Also, we knew the cupboard was bare when Anderwatson left. Hence the reason so many freshmen are making plays. The team is young but they obviously aren't afraid and/or intimidated. As for the BIG, i do think the conference is weak (confirmed by the non-conference records) but too many of us (myself included) had entirely too high of expectations.

i think the biggest problem is not having a solid friday night guy, hell we are constantly trying to switch up the lineup to find a decent guy and its not working, we will have issues trying to win the friday games every series. as for saturday and sunday we have been okay, besides NW, who the hell knows what happened there. batting is decent, we could get some more timely hits and insurance runs at times, but for the most part they are consistently getting 4-5+ runs, the purdue series will tell us a lot, if they come in an sweep us, we can kiss this year goodbye, but im hoping we can keep it close and maybe win the series, no way we sweep them