Cosgrove must go

godd2

In my opionion cosgrove needs to go....i have seen improvement with the offense and granted it is not much but it is a new offense all together....but the defense should not be giving up plays like it does. we looked great early in the season but when you are playing patsies like we do that isnt hard...and that is a whole other subject in itself...but the past few games we have gotten killed with the run up the middle...i am not a football genius but it seems to me if that is your problem maybe you should put a linebacker in the middle ....play 3 linebackers not 2 that are spread out...

this guy is making the same mistakes as last year....that is not acceptable....he is easily an expendable guy...maybe make coach blake the defensive cord and keep him happy and here for his recruiting as well he has experience as a head coach so he would understand many more things...what you think

goes back to the 'revolving coaches' mentality.

do we just keep going thru coaches until we find someone good, lucky or a combination thereof?

don't think i'm completely charmed by pud and billy: i ain't. but freakin' out and cleaning house every two years ain't gonna restore the gleam to the scarlet and cream.

i think a defense that spends all it's time on the field, while the O goes 3 and out, is going to give up points......anyone have any stats of TOP for all the games played so far? i would be surprised if we are holding the ball for more than 35% of the time.........

hunter

NU held the ball for 25 minutes in the game. I agree with you, when the offense keeps going 3 and out, the defense is going to wear out quick and give up more yards and points.

i think a defense that spends all it's time on the field, while the O goes 3 and out, is going to give up points......anyone have any stats of TOP for all the games played so far? i would be surprised if we are holding the ball for more than 35% of the time.........

hunter

NU held the ball for 25 minutes in the game. I agree with you, when the offense keeps going 3 and out, the defense is going to wear out quick and give up more yards and points.

Agreed.

hunter

That's a big problem. D can't rest and plus were missing our top two linebackers. Very, very few teams have enough players to back up starters with the same talent

In my opionion cosgrove needs to go....i have seen improvement with the offense and granted it is not much but it is a new offense all together....but the defense should not be giving up plays like it does. we looked great early in the season but when you are playing patsies like we do that isnt hard...and that is a whole other subject in itself...but the past few games we have gotten killed with the run up the middle...i am not a football genius but it seems to me if that is your problem maybe you should put a linebacker in the middle ....play 3 linebackers not 2 that are spread out...

this guy is making the same mistakes as last year....that is not acceptable....he is easily an expendable guy...maybe make coach blake the defensive cord and keep him happy and here for his recruiting as well he has experience as a head coach so he would understand many more things...what you think

I'll sign on to that.

hunter

Except they regularly start the game by giving up 3 scores... I won't buy this 'tired' crap.

hunter

Except they regularly start the game by giving up 3 scores... I won't buy this 'tired' crap.

I don't understand. Hunter is saying that by pure numbers, an offense that is on the field more is simply going to score more points. You don't agree?

I cannot agree more that Cos and Elmo need to exit stage left. Defense is about playing hard, playing with emotion, and being in the position to make plays. Cos cannot get his players to play with heart and emotion and they are constantly in the wrong place. I swear all of his schemes are horrible and we should have known better than to hire a guy whose been at 14 schools in 16 years. He's irritating and he sucks as a coach. Both must go!

What improvement have you seen on offense? Personally id take our offense last year over this years. Our offense looked good maybe one or 2 games against poor defenses otherwise it has been god awful. The defense is equally bad.

hunter

I don't understand. Hunter is saying that by pure numbers, an offense that is on the field more is simply going to score more points. You don't agree?

Fine, whatever. But if our D could force 3 and out situations then wouldn't the offences be on the field for the same amount of time? It's not like the other team's offence is lining up on the ball when it is supposed to be NU's possession or anything. Okay, even if I grant you that they ARE tired in the first half when they give up 17 - 21 points, they're only tired because the defense can't stop ANY offense at all. 3rd and Long? We might as well just let them step off the 10 yards or whatever they need for a first becasue at least that would save a touchdown. There is no reason that the other team has the ball longer or is on the field more other than that the scheming is poor enough to allow the opposing team to get long drives and huge plays. You're arguing that the symptom is the cause.

hunter

I think we all agree with that. It just doesn't make sense that most of our opponents score half their points or more in the 1st quarter. Our defense shouldn't be tired then.

hunter

Yes, the D being on the field alot is a problem (nothing to be overlooked). From what I have seen though, there have been many players out of position, poor tackling, and poor schemes. We have been down by 20 or so points in the first half of many games (are they worn out by half?). How many big runs do we need up the gut? There is merit to the argument that they are on the field a lot, but it is only a small part of the problem.

hunter

Fine, whatever. But if our D could force 3 and out situations then wouldn't the offences be on the field for the same amount of time? It's not like the other team's offence is lining up on the ball when it is supposed to be NU's possession or anything. Okay, even if I grant you that they ARE tired in the first half when they give up 17 - 21 points, they're only tired because the defense can't stop ANY offense at all. 3rd and Long? We might as well just let them step off the 10 yards or whatever they need for a first becasue at least that would save a touchdown. There is no reason that the other team has the ball longer or is on the field more other than that the scheming is poor enough to allow the opposing team to get long drives and huge plays. You're arguing that the symptom is the cause.

Hey bud, don't put words in my mouth. I was simply pointing out that the longer a defense is on the field, the more time and the more opportunities the other team has to score. Period. I don't care who is coaching, who's in the stands or who's armchair quarterbacking it.