Logistics of the 'one-and-done' rule in college basketball

That's probably the difference in our approach, HS. I'm not a big basketball fan in general, to be honest, but I have certain teams I root for. Of the levels of basketball, I've thought for a long time NBA is the most boring to watch. I see little strategy most of the time, and it just seems that a LOT of consideration is given by the refs to the 'stars' of the game, to the point of making it unwatchable many times to me. I don't see that in the college game, at least not nearly on the same level, which is why I like watching it a lot more than watching the NBA. That, and my one team that I always rooted for in the NBA has been hijacked by a punk of magnitude proportions, and have stopped rooting for that team until he's gone. Probably also affected my watching the NBA by quite a bit. In the interests of full disclosure, as it were. :D

I honestly think they should make these kids take money management courses before allowing them in the NBA.

I think this would be a great idea! You hear all the time about professional athletes that are broke because they couldn't manage their money. If I won the lottery right now, I wouldn't have to work another day in my life and I could make that money last for a very long time. It's all about moderation, but it's hard to expect young kids that are suddenly millionaires to be "smart" about their money when they haven't learned how to manage things properly. Maybe the NBA should start a program where they help teach these kids about money management!

That's probably the difference in our approach, HS. I'm not a big basketball fan in general, to be honest, but I have certain teams I root for. Of the levels of basketball, I've thought for a long time NBA is the most boring to watch. I see little strategy most of the time, and it just seems that a LOT of consideration is given by the refs to the 'stars' of the game, to the point of making it unwatchable many times to me. I don't see that in the college game, at least not nearly on the same level, which is why I like watching it a lot more than watching the NBA. That, and my one team that I always rooted for in the NBA has been hijacked by a punk of magnitude proportions, and have stopped rooting for that team until he's gone. Probably also affected my watching the NBA by quite a bit. In the interests of full disclosure, as it were. :D

HAHA! Which team/player would that be?

Some people would probably say there are many teams in the NBA that seem to fit that bill. However, I was a Lakers fan clear back in the 80's. Big fan of Magic and Kareem. (Didn't really know much about Kareem's politics, and it never really seemed to come up, just loved what I saw of his play.) I loved the uptempo style of play, and the team aspect with which they played. Probably helped that my Dad was a big Celtics/Larry Bird fan at the time too, and so we had a friendly rivalry about the teams. I can remember a lot of those great teams from the eighties, and at the time could probably reel off the names of all the starters on the Lakers. I also liked Vlade replacing Kareem when it was time for Kareem to leave. Loved Vlade's style. I was really happy to see Shaq come to the Lakers. I always liked Shaq's dry or not-so-dry sense of humor, and thought he was fun to watch.

I also was not a fan of the Bulls or MJ during that time, and so I was always rooting against them. Then Kobe came. And Phil came. And while I was happy to see Shaq win under Phil, I didn't really like that it took Phil to do it. But I was willing to see it happen, because my team was winning again, and I was okay with who was on it. And then Shaq left/was forced out. (Take your pick, it really didn't matter to me.) When that happened... I vowed the Lakers wouldn't see a dime of my money on merchandise, and I would not cheer for the Lakers until Kobe was gone. When he's gone, I'll take them up again. But until that time...

That whole incident, and the... I don't know what to call it... just overall descendancy of many players of the league into lifestyles and off-the-court personalities that just weren't what I imagined/felt/liked about the NBA... probably led to me being turned off about watching the league anymore. That and the style of ball seems to have drastically changed from what I loved about the eighties. Just doesn't really seem about team anymore, but more so about individuals. And I know you STILL can't win in the game without a good team... but it just seems to be MORE about the individual player than about the team anymore. The game has changed, and I don't like the way it has changed. I sound really codgerly saying that, I know... but then I just turn on hockey during the winter, and get whatever basketball fix I need from other sources, and I'm content with that. I watched two hockey games last night, and was riveted the whole time. I don't when the last time I sat down and watched a full quarter of an NBA game has been. Long time... been years since I've bothered watching the NBA finals.

All right... enough rambling. :D I tried to answer the question, and wrote a book. :D

Some people would probably say there are many teams in the NBA that seem to fit that bill. However, I was a Lakers fan clear back in the 80's. Big fan of Magic and Kareem. (Didn't really know much about Kareem's politics, and it never really seemed to come up, just loved what I saw of his play.) I loved the uptempo style of play, and the team aspect with which they played. Probably helped that my Dad was a big Celtics/Larry Bird fan at the time too, and so we had a friendly rivalry about the teams. I can remember a lot of those great teams from the eighties, and at the time could probably reel off the names of all the starters on the Lakers. I also liked Vlade replacing Kareem when it was time for Kareem to leave. Loved Vlade's style. I was really happy to see Shaq come to the Lakers. I always liked Shaq's dry or not-so-dry sense of humor, and thought he was fun to watch.

I also was not a fan of the Bulls or MJ during that time, and so I was always rooting against them. Then Kobe came. And Phil came. And while I was happy to see Shaq win under Phil, I didn't really like that it took Phil to do it. But I was willing to see it happen, because my team was winning again, and I was okay with who was on it. And then Shaq left/was forced out. (Take your pick, it really didn't matter to me.) When that happened... I vowed the Lakers wouldn't see a dime of my money on merchandise, and I would not cheer for the Lakers until Kobe was gone. When he's gone, I'll take them up again. But until that time...

That whole incident, and the... I don't know what to call it... just overall descendancy of many players of the league into lifestyles and off-the-court personalities that just weren't what I imagined/felt/liked about the NBA... probably led to me being turned off about watching the league anymore. That and the style of ball seems to have drastically changed from what I loved about the eighties. Just doesn't really seem about team anymore, but more so about individuals. And I know you STILL can't win in the game without a good team... but it just seems to be MORE about the individual player than about the team anymore. The game has changed, and I don't like the way it has changed. I sound really codgerly saying that, I know... but then I just turn on hockey during the winter, and get whatever basketball fix I need from other sources, and I'm content with that. I watched two hockey games last night, and was riveted the whole time. I don't when the last time I sat down and watched a full quarter of an NBA game has been. Long time... been years since I've bothered watching the NBA finals.

All right... enough rambling. :D I tried to answer the question, and wrote a book. :D

What, you don't like having the best player in the NBA on your team? :P

I actually do really respect Kobe. He may be a little of a ball-hog, but he is a great player and is one of the last players in the NBA to have good, pure fundamentals.

As far as the team thing, I think the Celtics a few years ago and the Mavericks last year showed how good a team can be when they:

1) play good defense

2) play as a team

3) have leadership

That's why I have been a big Celtic fan ever since KG went there and rooted big-time for the Mavs last year in the finals. I enjoy watching the top teams in the league.

Only in the NBA does the term "right to work" get brought up so many times. Sorry but there are jobs out there at you won't get hired for if you don't have the education or experience. Just have the NBA require a bachelor's degree to get looked at.

HAHA! I'm sorry but this idea is laughable. If bball is going to require a bachelor's, then football should also.

I think it is hard to tell a kid you have to stay in school for 3 years but at this point, i think it is best.

Let kids come right out of HS or go to college for 2-3 years.

This is the way it used to be done up until 2007 or 2008. LeBron came right out of high school, and IIRC was the last draft class to be able to do so.

To me, the one-and-done rule is fine. It's better than letting kids go straight to the NBA out of high school IMO. This way, you bring a lot more talent through college basketball and it is a more observable sport. The only change that I think they should make if they were to change it would be to make kids stay in college 2 years.

The difference between a player leaving early in football is that there is more of a concern of injury. Basketball is more of they think they are good enough. The quality of basketball has gone down and will continue to. The game now is very sloppy and too much one on one.

Only in the NBA does the term "right to work" get brought up so many times. Sorry but there are jobs out there at you won't get hired for if you don't have the education or experience. Just have the NBA require a bachelor's degree to get looked at.

HAHA! I'm sorry but this idea is laughable. If bball is going to require a bachelor's, then football should also.

I think it is hard to tell a kid you have to stay in school for 3 years but at this point, i think it is best.

Let kids come right out of HS or go to college for 2-3 years.

This is the way it used to be done up until 2007 or 2008. LeBron came right out of high school, and IIRC was the last draft class to be able to do so.

To me, the one-and-done rule is fine. It's better than letting kids go straight to the NBA out of high school IMO. This way, you bring a lot more talent through college basketball and it is a more observable sport. The only change that I think they should make if they were to change it would be to make kids stay in college 2 years.

The difference between a player leaving early in football is that there is more of a concern of injury. Basketball is more of they think they are good enough. The quality of basketball has gone down and will continue to. The game now is very sloppy and too much one on one.

I agree with you. To me, that is due to 2 things:

1) most importantly, players today are so much faster and more athletic than they used to be.

2) due to this, most players aren't taught good fundamentals, therefore leading to sloppy play.

I'd love nothing more then the NBA to drop the age requirement for the draft and then expand the development league so each NBA team has its own D-league team to bring up players as they need them much like MLB does. This way the guys that are good enough and have no interest in college can get drafted or even sign free agent contracts with NBA teams and if they are good enough out of high school, they go right to the league. If they aren't, then play in the D-league for a year or two first before getting called up. If they did this, you would get rid of most of the one and dones in college. Sure you would still have guys leaving college early but you would never see a team like Kentucky again with all the starters leaving as freshman and sophomores. Honestly, I don't think it would hurt college basketball that bad in fact it might even help it by keeping good teams together longer because they are good as a team and not just because they have a future nba stud or five playing for them.

I also think that would make the NBA D-league a better league because it would be a even more of a place to watch up and coming future players instead of the a league of old guys trying to get one more chance in the NBA which seemed to be what happened to the CBA. Omaha is plenty big to support an NBA D-league team. How cool would it have been to watch Derrick Rose play in Omaha for a year before he got called up to the Bulls? Bring back the Racers! I'd go watch that in the Centurylink any day over Missouri Valley basketball and I am guessing there are quite a few other people in Omaha who would as well.

I blame the sloppy NBA play more on the 24sec. Shot clock. Not enough time to run a multiple set on offense when ya got 18 seconds after the point guard gets the ball over half court. Then when the shot clock gets to 5-7 secs. Whoever has the ball has to go 1on 1.

You can't be serious. the 24sec clock has been around since the 50's.

I blame the sloppy NBA play more on the 24sec. Shot clock. Not enough time to run a multiple set on offense when ya got 18 seconds after the point guard gets the ball over half court. Then when the shot clock gets to 5-7 secs. Whoever has the ball has to go 1on 1.

You can't be serious. the 24sec clock has been around since the 50's.

Well sure, but time moved so much slower back then! ;)

I honestly think they should make these kids take money management courses before allowing them in the NBA.

That's what I was thinking. Make them take a 2 year course.

Personal Finance, Agent selection & negotiations, life skills, nutrition & health, home buying. Capital investments.