Logistics of the 'one-and-done' rule in college basketball

Reposted from the Deverill Biggs thread:

Is the 'one-and-done' rule a part of the collective bargaining agreement for the NBA? Maybe somebody that follows this closer than I do can tell me the logistics of getting that changed. I know the head of the NCAA and someone from the hierarchy of the basketball arm of the NCAA have said the one-and-done rule is a concern. I know I recently read that I believe Stern said he'd like to get it changed, as well as the loudmouth from down South, Mark Cuban, has said it's a problem as well. Just wondering how big the logistics are, and if it would need to go through the collective bargaining process. The only reason I bring that up in this thread is your comments, blackshirts007, about Okafor being a 'one-and-done' type kid, and if that could be changed before he got into school. If so, we might get more than what we think if we could attract him here. (Big 'if' at this point, I know, but still...)

New posting:

I'm wondering how quickly they can get that rule turned around. I think it'd be good for both levels of basketball to get it done. As it is, I think it actually probably hurts both levels because of the lack of development time at the college level affecting both the college game and the ability to have consistency, and the lack of actual development of game skill v. pure athleticism at the NBA level. Certainly be interesting to see where they go with this to try and fix the perceived problem.

Reposted from the Deverill Biggs thread:

Is the 'one-and-done' rule a part of the collective bargaining agreement for the NBA? Maybe somebody that follows this closer than I do can tell me the logistics of getting that changed. I know the head of the NCAA and someone from the hierarchy of the basketball arm of the NCAA have said the one-and-done rule is a concern. I know I recently read that I believe Stern said he'd like to get it changed, as well as the loudmouth from down South, Mark Cuban, has said it's a problem as well. Just wondering how big the logistics are, and if it would need to go through the collective bargaining process. The only reason I bring that up in this thread is your comments, blackshirts007, about Okafor being a 'one-and-done' type kid, and if that could be changed before he got into school. If so, we might get more than what we think if we could attract him here. (Big 'if' at this point, I know, but still...)

New posting:

I'm wondering how quickly they can get that rule turned around. I think it'd be good for both levels of basketball to get it done. As it is, I think it actually probably hurts both levels because of the lack of development time at the college level affecting both the college game and the ability to have consistency, and the lack of actual development of game skill v. pure athleticism at the NBA level. Certainly be interesting to see where they go with this to try and fix the perceived problem.

I wish they would allow kids to jump right to the NBA, but if they enroll they must stay 2 years or be 20 years old to leave. The one year rule makes no sense to me.

I think the number I heard mentioned most was three years. I think that's a good number. As someone said, if they want to jump straight to the NBA, let them, or if they want them to spend development time, make them spend either three years in the "D" League or three years in college before letting them come into the NBA. But the current system needs to be fixed. Thanks for the clarification, Landlord. Didn't know the specifics. If that's the case, then maybe they could get it fixed rather quickly. While it takes some rights of potential rookies away, I think it also improves the game from all perspectives as a whole, and I could see enough players going for that to get the votes to approve it quickly.

Only in the NBA does the term "right to work" get brought up so many times. Sorry but there are jobs out there at you won't get hired for if you don't have the education or experience. Just have the NBA require a bachelor's degree to get looked at.

HAHA! I'm sorry but this idea is laughable. If bball is going to require a bachelor's, then football should also.

I think it is hard to tell a kid you have to stay in school for 3 years but at this point, i think it is best.

Let kids come right out of HS or go to college for 2-3 years.

This is the way it used to be done up until 2007 or 2008. LeBron came right out of high school, and IIRC was the last draft class to be able to do so.

To me, the one-and-done rule is fine. It's better than letting kids go straight to the NBA out of high school IMO. This way, you bring a lot more talent through college basketball and it is a more observable sport. The only change that I think they should make if they were to change it would be to make kids stay in college 2 years.

Only in the NBA does the term "right to work" get brought up so many times. Sorry but there are jobs out there at you won't get hired for if you don't have the education or experience. Just have the NBA require a bachelor's degree to get looked at.

HAHA! I'm sorry but this idea is laughable. If bball is going to require a bachelor's, then football should also.

I think it is hard to tell a kid you have to stay in school for 3 years but at this point, i think it is best.

Let kids come right out of HS or go to college for 2-3 years.

This is the way it used to be done up until 2007 or 2008. LeBron came right out of high school, and IIRC was the last draft class to be able to do so.

To me, the one-and-done rule is fine. It's better than letting kids go straight to the NBA out of high school IMO. This way, you bring a lot more talent through college basketball and it is a more observable sport. The only change that I think they should make if they were to change it would be to make kids stay in college 2 years.

i'm with you there too, its no fun seeing these players in and out in one year, it messes with the chemistry of the team. i think two years would be fun, they might actually learn something in school too, i bet every one year guy is taking pud 100 levels and getting out as fast as they can to move on to the higher level

Dick Vitale was fuming about this, and I don't blame him. If HS players are allowed to go directly to the NBA, guess what...almost ALL of the top 25 recruits will do exactly that, if they know that otherwise they have to sit and rot in a classroom for 2-3 years. Sorry if this is news to some of you, but most highly talented b-ball players could care less about going to college. Just the way it is.

So then, if Mr. 'I've got things figured out at 17 or 18 years old' and has an agent flashing $$ signs in front of him, and he doesn't pan out, as many will...do they...

A) Go back to college?

B) Go back to college and be allowed a scholarship to play basketball?

C) NBA starts another development league like they used to have?

The system is a joke, IMO. Hell, the Chicago kids that came through Lincoln could all form a pact and all go to Nebraska, UT-Chattanooga, Bering Straight College, etc, and earn their ticket to the NBA in one year. Other than fan support and prestige of program, does it really matter where you play in college if you have no other reason than to use it as a stepping stone?

The system is a joke, IMO. Hell, the Chicago kids that came through Lincoln could all form a pact and all go to Nebraska, UT-Chattanooga, Bering Straight College, etc, and earn their ticket to the NBA in one year. Other than fan support and prestige of program, does it really matter where you play in college if you have no other reason than to use it as a stepping stone?

1. Good coaching, facilities, etc

2. Coach with a track record of giving freshman a strong chance to start right away

3. Winning (it's fun, and you might as well win while you are biding your time)

4. Being a BMOC (basically the fan support and prestige you mention)

5. Perhaps under the table benefits

Calipari has this down pretty well. About the only downside is that you have to share the ball and the spotlight with other super-frosh, but he's not getting just one or two of them drafted.

I'd like to see them institute a system where a player is required to have three years in some combo of college and the D League, which is alive and well. That way, you give them time to mature and develop their game, you give them the option, and you make it make sense to stay in college for those three years for many of those kids. (College would tend to have more publicity and the ability to build your name recognition better.) But I think it's obvious the current system isn't going to cut it, from all sides. (if you want more info on D League, the new Ralston arena is pursuing a franchise, and there were a couple articles not too long ago in the OWH about it)

The plain and simple fact is, if a guy is amazing at basketball, he can jump from high school to the NBA and make a huge impact (i.e. LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, etc..). I never really had a problem with players being able to go straight to the pros, though making them come to college does enhance the college game. I don't have a lot of opinion on this one, mostly because I'm not much of a college basketball fan. I would rather watch an NBA game of 2 good teams than a college game any day.

I honestly think they should make these kids take money management courses before allowing them in the NBA.

That's funny, especially because Iverson is broke right now. How many millions of dollars can one man spend to end up broke? Apparently $150 million...

I know the general opinion is that "one-and-done" players make college bball more entertaining, but if they were gone, I don't think it would hurt the sport as much as people think. I watch college bball because I like to see teams that exhibit teamwork and play defense, and they overall just play with more effort than the NBA. That's why Creighton was so much fun to watch this year, especially when Dougie was having an off night. That team chemistry was clicking on all cylinders, and would make up for another player having a bad night. If I want to watch the latest and greatest super athletes, I'll watch an NBA game. I don't think too many people tune into college games because they want to see super star athletes, but rather because they like that "blue collar" style of play (defense, effort, chemistry, etc, as listed above).