Will Pot Be Legal In Your Lifetime?

Not SHOULD it be legal, but WILL it be legal?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Take this opportunity to examine what you're actually saying. How many people do you know who smoke weed? Why would you use this limited sample to assess the dangers of cannabis and not actually look at any hard data? Why would this be an adequate basis for you, a voter, to oppose liberty? Think about it.

You ever seen someone get violent on weed? I haven't. I suppose it could happen but there is simply no comparison between being stoned and raging drunk. One leads to pretty much no action at all that requires effort (including fighting), the other is practically a catalyst for violence. Ask the cops how much fun alcohol adds to their job of arresting people.

There is simply no comparison between alcohol and cannabis. Alcohol is incredibly dangerous, and the stats prove this up, down, and sideways. Used in moderation, it's fine. Cannabis used in moderatio is also fine, and is unlikely to have many, if any, dire consequences in your life. The people who go on to use meth can blame meth for their troubles.

I can think of at least 10 people that I know of just off the top of my head that smoke weed frequently and probably a hundred more who have done it at least once. I'm not saying that it's dangerous necessarily, there's just something about it that is just undesirable.

Take this opportunity to examine what you're actually saying. How many people do you know who smoke weed? Why would you use this limited sample to assess the dangers of cannabis and not actually look at any hard data? Why would this be an adequate basis for you, a voter, to oppose liberty? Think about it.

You ever seen someone get violent on weed? I haven't. I suppose it could happen but there is simply no comparison between being stoned and raging drunk. One leads to pretty much no action at all that requires effort (including fighting), the other is practically a catalyst for violence. Ask the cops how much fun alcohol adds to their job of arresting people.

There is simply no comparison between alcohol and cannabis. Alcohol is incredibly dangerous, and the stats prove this up, down, and sideways. Used in moderation, it's fine. Cannabis used in moderatio is also fine, and is unlikely to have many, if any, dire consequences in your life. The people who go on to use meth can blame meth for their troubles.

I can think of at least 10 people that I know of just off the top of my head that smoke weed frequently and probably a hundred more who have done it at least once. I'm not saying that it's dangerous necessarily, there's just something about it that is just undesirable.

And for you, the individual, I completely respect that opinion, and know many people who share it. I think the main thing to keep in front of us is that legalizing the growth and/or consumption of an already commonly used substance is basically just recognizing a fact which already is. No one is asking you to start smoking weed. I don't care if no one or everyone smokes it; to me this is about state and federal governments persecuting free citizens of this country for exercising their right to consume a mostly harmless substance, especially when seen in light of other, far more dangerous substances we not only legally consume, but advertise, as a society.

There's also the safety issue. If you buy cannabis from a licensed, controlled, and regulated vendor, it eliminates the possibility of being sold something you didn't pay for, not being given what you did pay for, or being offered something else in the process of trying to pay for what you're after. There are six million advantages to having this business at ground level instead of in the black market, taxes being only one.

• Fire 1

Well said. I haven't smoked in 11 years, and have done it maybe 5 times total, but I'm not that opposed to people that do. As a soon-to-be-Dad...I've thought...what type of driver would I want to be driving towards with my kid in the car? Someone drunk? Or someone high on weed? Obviously you don't want either, but there's an obvious answer if you have to choose one.

The thing that gets me is we are now closing in on 50 years after the 60's when the movement to legalize pot really seemed to make it's major push. It's now 2012 and the best you can do is get a doctor's prescription for it in selected states. I think the effort to decriminalization pot from a political standpoint has been one of the weakest efforts in our country's history. My guess is it's because those who really care and do spend the time to organize political efforts to decriminalize forget what they are doing after smoking a few joints at their political gatherings. :P

• Fire 1

I'm not sure if I agree. The fact that I believe marijuana is worse is due to my personal experiences with people who smoke it. They just aren't the greatest people in the world, to say the least. But then again a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that it is illegal, and not all that much to do with the drug itself.

I think Husker_x said it brilliantly. I respect your opinion on it, but the truth of the matter is, weed does not have the same kind of effects on the mental stability of an individual like alcohol does. Granted, marijuana gets a general bad rap, but that's nothing more than a stereotype. It's a pretty accurate stereotype, to be fair, but it is most certainly not the case in all situations. And, millions of people consume it already. It is nowhere near as bad as society tends to play it off as.

In fact, I know four people who smoke weed regularly (i.e. a couple times a week). Three of the four are pre-med students, two of which have GPA's above 3.8. Exceptions to every rule - yes. But, those are pretty notable.

I've consumed both alcohol and marijuana, and can say with first hand experience that alcohol has far worse effects on the body. I don't know what marijuana can do over time to your body, but we all know that alcohol consumption can lead to liver failure and death. It's also physically impossible to overdose on marijuana.

Ultimately, as Husker_x pointed out, there is absolutely no legitimate comparison to be made between the two. Alcohol is a far worse substance.