Sportingnews Ranks the B1G Coaches

Hoke's initial season is impressive, at least when you just say 11-2 and a BCS win.

But if you are what your record says you are then Hoke is a mediocre coach. 58-52 overall...and outside of a good game against NU what else is on his resume? Beating an ACC team that lost twice to a team that lost its bowl game 70-33? Oh he beat Ohio State for the first time in years! Nevermind it was a huge down year for the Buckeyes...

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the Carr years or maybe its that I don't like how he has to wear short sleeved shirts in any weather and sounds like he's straining to take a poo when he talks...I just don't know. But I do know that I am tired of seeing him mentioned in the top three or so coaches in the league and among the top 15 in the country. He's not. Maybe he will be someday but he isn't now.

I completely agree - he's not one of the best coaches in the country, at least not in my opinion, for the exact reasons you said. What they did in the BCS bowl is no more impressive than what Oklahoma did against UConn the year before. Michigan also didn't play Wisconsin last year, which was the best team in the conference. So, it's tough to evaluate them against the best competition they could have had in conference.

That said, I still think Hoke is a good coach, and he did in one year what Pelini hasn't done in four - win a BCS bowl.