Academic Redshirts

Mitch Sherman was on Schick and Nick this morning and I only caught part of the interview, but the topic that stuck out was the academic redshirts. Evidently, if a particular high school player met part of the academic requirements for admission to your school, he could still come to college and a practice with the team that first fall, but if he passes 9 academic hours, he would be able to play that next season as a redshirt freshmam. This differs from the Prop 48's, where the student wouldn't lose a year of eligibility. I believe if this is true, it could make a HUGE difference to college football.

Did anyone catch the entire interview, it's not on their podcasts page? How many of these players can a particular college take each year? When does it start?

I did some research and found out that the academic redshirt is coming in 2016, but that is only because the mimimum college entrance requirements are getting more difficult. In fact, 40% of the 2011 enrollees would not have met the new requirements that are coming in 2016. Here's the whole story.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7885522/new-incoming-eligibility-standards-create-term

• Fire 1

Are there any talented recruits that actually have decent grades/test scores these days? It seems like kids are so dumb anymore. I drank my way thru high school and still managed a 3+ GPA and a decent ACT score. High school is not hard by any stretch.

But you still went. You're right that it isn't hard... As long as you're there. Some kids think once they get the scholarship and are committed to a school they no longer have to go to school. Some people just think they will get a pass for being an athlete, and the sad thing is some of them do. It's actually been proven that the general athlete has better grades than someone not involved in anything. However, a small group decide that they don't want to put the time in.