*** HuskerBoard Consensus Top 25 - Spring Edition ***

OK, after tallying up all the entries I have some numbers for you to chew on. Here's the straight-up ranking, ranked by a simple total of points:

1 . Alabama - 399 (5)

2 . LSU - 396 (6)

3 . Oklahoma - 386 (1)

4 . USC - 382 (2)

5 . Oregon - 369

6 . South Carolina - 321

7 . West Virginia - 320

8 . Michigan - 311

9 . Arkansas - 268

10 . Kansas State - 242

11 . Virginia Tech - 240

12 . Georgia - 239

13 . Ohio State - 234

14 . Michigan State - 223

15 . Nebraska - 210

16 . Wisconsin - 207

17 . Florida St - 197

18 . TCU - 188

19 . Clemson - 184

20 . Boise St - 177

21 . Stanford - 166

22 . Texas - 142

23 . Oklahoma St. - 117

24 . Washington - 105

25 . Florida - 75

Others Receiving Votes:

Missouri, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Auburn, Louisville, Mississippi St., Penn State, Iowa, Southern Miss, Georgia Tech

Here's the Top 25 if we removed the highest and lowest points from each team:

1 . Alabama - 343 (5)

1 . LSU - 343 (6)

3 . USC - 332 (2)

4 . Oklahoma - 331 (1)

5 . Oregon - 316

6 . South Carolina - 296

7 . Michigan - 271

8 . West Virginia - 268

9 . Arkansas - 226

10 . Kansas State - 216

11 . Georgia - 210

12 . Virginia Tech - 206

13 . Ohio State - 200

14 . Michigan State - 195

15 . Nebraska - 179

16 . Wisconsin - 177

17 . Florida St - 165

18 . TCU - 159

18 . Clemson - 159

20 . Boise St - 152

21 . Stanford - 140

22 . Texas - 114

23 . Oklahoma St. - 97

24 . Washington - 89

25 . Florida - 63

Removing the High/Low points, TCU and Clemson are tied for 18th. The rankings otherwise remain unchanged from 25-13. Virginia Tech and Georgia flip in this ranking, with the Bulldogs taking over #11. Michigan and West Virginia trade places, as do Oklahoma and USC, while LSU ties Alabama for the top spot.

Personally I don't like one ranking over the other, so if we continue to do a consensus ranking this Fall, I will probably not mess around with removing Hi/Lo scores. Too much work - the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Some other tidbits:

18 teams were ranked by every ranker:

Alabama

Boise St

Georgia

Kansas State

LSU

Michigan

Michigan State

Nebraska

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oregon

South Carolina

Stanford

TCU

USC

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Four teams earned #1 votes:

Alabama (5)

LSU (6)

Oklahoma (1)

USC (2)

Twenty-six teams were ranked by ten or more of our rankers:

Alabama

Arkansas

Boise St

Clemson

Florida

Florida St

Georgia

Kansas State

LSU

Michigan

Michigan State

Nebraska

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma St.

Oregon

South Carolina

Stanford

TCU

Texas

Texas A&M

USC

Virginia Tech

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Nine teams were ranked by only one of us:

Baylor

BYU

Illinois

Miami

Nevada

Pittsburgh

SMU

UCF

USF

There were 49 total teams ranked:

Alabama

Arkansas

Arkansas State

Auburn

Baylor

Boise St

BYU

Clemson

Florida

Florida St

Georgia

Georgia Tech

Illinois

Iowa

Iowa State

Kansas State

Louisville

LSU

Miami

Michigan

Michigan State

Mississippi St.

Missouri

Nebraska

Nevada

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma St.

Oregon

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

SMU

South Carolina

Southern Miss

Stanford

TCU

Texas

Texas A&M

UCF

USC

USF

Utah

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

• Fire 3

You thinking of doing a weekly top 25 during the season?

I think so. I think we could, collectively, come up with something worthwhile. It's not too hard, and if we have ten or more people helping each week, it should be a reasonable product.

I think Texas is ranked too low, too. I can't imagine they'll be that bad again with all the ridiculous talent they have.

Of course, I only ranked them three spots higher than they ended up, so it's easy to say, I guess.

They were good defensively last year, #11 in the country in total D. BUT they dont have QB's. Infact they have little to no talent at QB. Their running game was pretty good, #21, but it was all they had. I would expect them to do alittle better this year, but they had major problems. Unless they have a big time jump in production along their Oline, QB & WR possitions then I dont see them being that much better than 6th in conference that they finished last year.

But then again they are Texas and they will get votes based on that alone. Just like how they bumped out Missouri in the final week of the polls even though Texas lost 3 of their last 4 (including a game against MU) , finished below Mizzou in the confrence standings with a worse record & MU had won their last 3 games to close the season. :rolleyes:

BTW, Good work on putting all this together knapp. nice job!

also, it will be fun to see who not only had the most teams correct on the list, but also who had them closest to their finish.

That begs an interesting question - were people ranking based on how they feel the team looks now, after Spring, or where they believe the team will finish at the end of the season? We didn't specify which goal to look at.

I did mine based on how I would rank the teams for next year and their likely finish. Some teams will obviously move up and down. But If I felt that a team is currently over rated or under valued then my ranking reflect what I felt the "true" ranking should be. If your just looking for preseason ranks, then mine will not be in line.

For those all you have to do is take the media darling teams that did well in bowls and overrank them, sprinkle in the blue bloods that are always ranked atleast 5 or 6 spots too high and then just add the same teams from the last poll. ;)

Speaking of the "blue bloods," and the team that is most-often decried as being overranked by the pundits, Notre Dame finished out of our Top 25 and was only ranked by half of our voters. That's despite the fact that they've finished within one or two wins of Nebraska each of the past four years, while playing a tougher SOS (by some, not terribly much) in at least a couple of those years.

Yet Nebraska is ranked 15th. Notre Dame would be 28th, if we pulled our ranking out to the Top 30.

Interesting.

Mine was where I think each team is right now, based on last year's finish and what I know of returning players.

which begs the question, do you really believe that MU is not one of the top 30 teams and is behind teams like Iowa St? A team they beat 52-17 last season. Because you know that Mu finished at #26, return the majority of their main players, have a favoriable home slate and of the 5 games they lost last year, all were to ranked teams with 4 coming on the road. Three of those were within one score and MU had multiple costly mistakes in each with a soph QB. The other two were by 10 to then #1 OU on the road and by 21 to the #6 OSU in a mistake filled game where we turned the ball over 4 times, once deep in our territory setting up a OSU score,2 more around the OSU 30 when driving and again inside the OSU 5.

but then again....Im just a sensitive Mizzou fan ;):P