Rex pushed Helu to be a better back

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205434123

"Rex is a talent," Helu told me recently. "While I was here, he physically and athletically was great to compete against because he brought everything he had to every practice and every game. I mean, his drive is incredible. I think Rex is one of the most Jesus-like people I know. The reason I say that is because of the way he lives. The biggest thing I notice is that he goes about his business on the field the same way he goes about it off the field. He's very disciplined, even in the type of effort he exerts in everything. He's chiseled. He's solid. I think his strength is incredible. I know I learned a lot from Rex in the two years we competed together. I followed the relationship he developed with that little Jack (a 6-year-old with brain cancer). That was very touching. I know Rex is younger than I am, but he was a role model in a lot of ways ... with his quietness and his calmness, and the way he would compete to the best of his ability every day. No matter what, he was always working as hard as he could. He didn't say much because he didn't have to. He just did it, and we all learned just watching him

• Fire 1

Helu thinks Burkhead is the perfect poster child for Bo Pelini's mantra to work hard and compete every day. With Rex as a role model and his chief competition for the starting job, Helu's focus and commitment to a highly demanding system increased. "I sincerely believed that every week we had a chance to win a Big 12 championship because of the process and the way we embraced it," Helu said. "We stayed focused on the process and competed every day. That's what college football is all about ... being a man and that's what I took on to the next level. I totally believe in what Coach Bo is doing here and what his staff is installing here. That's why I still come back here to work out and train. I knew I was physically ready for the NFL because of all the training here before I ever left." Day by day, Helu kept getting better and better and before he knew it, his college career was over, and he landed in Washington D.C. with more than a $2.5 million, four-year contract.

That's a pretty good endorsement of our program. :thumbs: