Pelini strongly opposes playoff of any sort

It doesn't really matter to me if a few teams have lost enough that they are out of the running for the national title early. That's what a meaningful regular season means. Don't lose any games or throw your chances to the winds. The lucky teams with the right set of circumstances might lose one or two and still end up top two. For the sake of argument let's expand that to top four. Beyond that you're not talking about top teams anymore, you're talking about inviting everybody to the party, and having elite teams that earned it having to go through solid top 10 teams that didn't in order to play for the title.

A committee member is far more powerful than a single AP voter (when the final polls are composite, formula-based, entirely deterministic BCS standings). What conceivable system could really have "who plays for the title" decided by a few appointed men arguing the matter?

What conceivable system could really have "who plays for the title" decided by a few appointed men arguing the matter?

I took this question to mean what system doesn't involve people voting or determining who gets into a play-off:

A play-off system that only involves the 11 FBS conference champions.

So, a 1-loss runner-up in a tough conference ranked almost unanimously in the top 10 or 15 doesn't get in, but the MAC champion does?

The comment wasn't about people voting. Somebody suggested a 4-team field decided by committee earlier. There are a great many voters who cast their own opinions as numbers and data, which gets collated and weighted by some computers and some final number gets spat out. That's fine, imperfect, but fine with me. What seems ridiculous is to form a committee with a small number of people, who will then get together and debate about who ought to get in, and then form a decision.

I think a plus one is the best way to go. Thinking back over as many years as i can remember, i cant think of maybe one or two teams a year who had a LEGITIMATE beef about not being allowed to play for the title. No way 6, 8, 10, 16 etc, have claim to being the BEST TEAM after a whole season has been played to sort that out. Win ALL your games and prove you belong there,

I also think the playoff system makes for meaningless games at the end of the year. Divisions are clinched so there's no reason to care about those games, plus the rest of the teams who are mathematically eliminated from winning the division(this can be pretty early in the season too) have no reason to care either.As long as you can lock up a playoff spot, the season starts all over in the playoffs, so what u did all year doesn't matter.

I agree the current college system isn't perfect (though not nearly as bad as many make it seem), but neither is a playoff. There have been teams go undefeated in the NFL regular season (Im thinking that makes you the best team) and still not win the championship, and teams that won only half their games( obviously not the best team) get hot, and win it all in the playoffs.

Not the hellfire and damnation clear cut way to go in my opinion. Though the hype is on, and i think it will get rammed through anyway.

The jackasses at shaggybevo.com weigh in on Pelini's opinion. The thread is good for about 3 minutes of entertainment:

Playoffs?! Perturbed Pelini Pisses Pants LINK

Thanks for the link NUa. I had almost forgotten just how utterly stupid the inbreed fans of Tex-a$$ are.

Wonder how they feel about the slap in the face they got from T AnM.

T_O_B

G>B>R

"We're really cool! Umm...guys...guys? Hey...where are y'all going?"

What conceivable system could really have "who plays for the title" decided by a few appointed men arguing the matter?

I took this question to mean what system doesn't involve people voting or determining who gets into a play-off:

A play-off system that only involves the 11 FBS conference champions.

A better way than that is to just use W-L records. Or a computer ranking system that is transparent so that everyone understands what they need to do. Conference champions isn't the only unbiased way to go.

1. It works at the lower levels

2. Hell it works in high school football where lots of teams end up playing 16 games

3. Home sites are a MUST, the atmosphere would be UNREAL

4. The money would be insane

Your comments reflect my original opinion and it would be great for students and faculty. I love high school playoffs and the atmosphere it creates. As a Bama, I tried to envision that same situation with a packed 100,000+ stadium (home or away). But then I got to thinking, we're talking apples and oranges. What happens when this super game is played in a stadium that holds only 20,000 people or less in a small college town that does not have good travel access or sufficient hotels and motels? Where's the money then? You'd have to mortgage your home to buy a ticket. On-campus playoffs are great for high school games because the games are always in the same state. Even small schools and basket ball games can be on campus because of the limited number of fans that travel. But division 1 football poses issues that are not found in high school or even like the smaller football divisions because the number of division 1 fans and press that travel can be huge. The logistics are different. Even 50,000+ traveling fans and press can be beyond the means of some schools to host. That's a lot of airline tickets for some towns, a lot of hotel space for some towns, etc. If they had a 16 team field, I could see the first round or maybe the first two rounds at home. But I think a final four should be set at locations that can handle the crowds. And sadly, I don't think we will see anything more than a final four for at least 5 years.

I'm not so sure you are making this argument on the grounds of fairness:

So, a 1-loss runner-up in a tough conference ranked almost unanimously in the top 10 or 15 doesn't get in, but the MAC champion does?

Yep. Life ain't fair...better buy a helmet.

another example of a playoff format being no better than what we have right now.....

Nothing could be further from the truth. If we're going to have a TRUE play-off then the only fair way to seed teams is by winning their respective conference.

Take 10 seconds and re-read my last post.

i tend to agree with you, but that is not what everyone else suggests......my problem is how the pairings will be decided......i have little faith in keeping the politics out of it.

another example of a playoff format being no better than what we have right now.....

Nothing could be further from the truth. If we're going to have a TRUE play-off then the only fair way to seed teams is by winning their respective conference.

Take 10 seconds and re-read my last post.

i tend to agree with you VA, but that is not what everyone else suggests......my problem is how the pairings will be decided......i have little faith in keeping the politics out of it.