Big Ten bests SEC when it comes to dollars

NUance

Big Ten bests SEC when it comes to dollars

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Monday, June 4, 2012 7:21 pm

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany did just that Monday, announcing on a teleconference that the league will distribute a league-record $284 million to its 12 teams when this fiscal year comes to a close.

<snip>

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch recently reported that each school – besides Nebraska – received approximately $24.6 million in shared revenue this year.

That’s an increase from the roughly $22.9 million each school is reported to have received the previous year. For comparison’s sake, the SEC announced last week that it was distributing $241.5 million to its 12 teams, which is an average of $20.1 million per school.

LINK

Seems like I heard somewhere that our share is around $14 million this year. Anyone else hear that?

Seems like I heard somewhere that our share is around $14 million this year. Anyone else hear that?

That seems low. What was the B12 payout? I thought I remember when Neb joined, it was mentioned they would not take a haircut moving to the B1G.

That seems low. What was the B12 payout? I thought I remember when Neb joined, it was mentioned they would not take a haircut moving to the B1G.

When we left it was 14 million USD This year they get 19 million USD Don't know if the deal was what they would have earned under the old TV deal, or what any future payouts would be, or if they adjust for number of teams 19 million USD less 9% because the conference would have 1 additional member.

It is closely guarded number in any case. Somebody should be able to get the numbers because its a public institution. My guess is somewhere between 14 and 19 million USD.

IIRC, the deal was that we wouldn't earn less than what the Big XII members earned from their TV deal, and the difference between it and payouts to all schools would go towards Nebraska's investment in the Big 10 Network. I presume that would take into account current events, which have the Big XII earning approx. $20 million/school.

And if the Big Ten puts most Tier 2 programming on its own network, expect that payout number to skyrocket...