Schools that train the Enemy

Excel

Foreigners in collegiate sports  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+

OB-TG180_TRAITO_NS_20120605222405.jpg

"Arkansas is part of an unlikely training ground for foreign Olympians: the NCAA. At American colleges, athletes can receive an experience they can't get anywhere else: In addition to first-class facilities and coaching, they also can get room and board and top-tier education worth more than $50,000 annually."

+

"The damage adds up. At the 2008 Beijing Games, foreign athletes from U.S. universities earned at least 28 medals for their countries—and possibly twice that many...foreign athletes from U.S. universities may have won 60 medals in 2008...48 countries fielded athletes from the Pacific-12 Conference alone"

+

"Critics wonder why athletic scholarships, on which the NCAA places limits per sport, so often go to international athletes."

"Efforts to limit foreign athletes on American campuses have failed. About 20 years ago, then-Auburn swimming coach Dave Marsh proposed a 20% cap on scholarships to foreigners, arguing that it would preserve opportunities for young Americans and improve U.S. Olympic fortunes. But Marsh says he was told such a cap may be illegal"

I'm in a mixed place on this.

It seems wrong to ban kids from competing or to be so inhospitable to foreigners but at the same time, especially with the larger public flagship schools, I feel like those teams ought to be for kids from that state not somebody who comes here for four years, gets a free education and training and bails.

I voted "yes" for a ban but that's rather tentative.

I'm in a mixed place on this.

It seems wrong to ban kids from competing or to be so inhospitable to foreigners but at the same time, especially with the larger public flagship schools, I feel like those teams ought to be for kids from that state not somebody who comes here for four years, gets a free education and training and bails.

I voted "yes" for a ban but that's rather tentative.

im divided.

It's nice to have the school recognition that the Olympics brings even if the athlete is competing against the US. Plus, the classroom divisity is cool

BUT, I'm from the USA and I do getting a small but manageable feeling of the athlete being a traitor during the games.

De-cky is just upset the NU is leading the B1G in something.

Seriously, take it to another level. Our state tax dollars are funding the schools, so there should be a percent limit on out of state athletes to allow in state athletes a chance at competing.

The goal of any sport is to get the best athletes to field the best team possible. And if you are U$C or in the sec you even pay to get them. Maybe there are so many foreign olympians because it is easier to get on the Belize team than the US team. I don't see the US Olympic team scraping the bottom of the barrel to field a team.

Seriously, take it to another level. Our state tax dollars are funding the schools, so there should be a percent limit on out of state athletes to allow in state athletes a chance at competing.

Uh, no thanks, I like a winning football team. You would like guys, like Tommie, Rozier, Suh and Rex to be denied a chance to play for Nebraska just because they are from another state? I love our home grown talent but if we had to have XX amount of kids from here on the team, we would be screwed. Basketball, we may as well drop the program if that was the case.