Penn State needs to burn for this.

Sorry zoogies, but I can't agree with this. You call it "complicated." I call it common sense. The only thing that Paterno may have had going in his favor as far as his perception is that he was too senile to figure out right from wrong. And I've heard enough pressers from him in the last 14 years to know that he had plenty of marbles rolling around up there to determine something that should be so blatantly simple.

The minute you are positioned to fix a problem of this magnitude and don't...then you are the problem.

A lot of people don't know (and if they do, don't care) that a European leader 80 years ago stabilized his country economically after a devastating war and eliminated foreign debt. Apparently the people in his country didn't like the idea of carting wheelbarrows of money to the bakery to buy a loaf of bread, and he realized this. He also created the cornerstone for the modern highway system and developed an automobile for the people that still exists today. His scientists developed rocket technology. He also was an animal rights activist and his regime was one of the first to implement laws against animal abuse and cruelty.

Do you want 11 million reasons why no one on earth really gives a sh*t about these 'good deeds?'

Meanwhile...the statue of glory still stands...

None of this is to defend Paterno or make light of what he did. It's just that it's easier to say he is a totally different guy, one of 'them', somebody who fundamentally is lacking in common human values and that is why he did what he did. I think that is not the case. I hope you aren't taking my last post as "Hey, remember all the good things he did too", because that isn't the main point.

The main point is that if society does not learn a lesson from this by simply outcasting him as an extreme outlier. It is stunning, saddening, that something like this can happen and not at all a simple black-and-white case of "This guy was just a POS." That's a very easily adoptable way to explain away the terrible things that happened without taking anything out of it. When perhaps there is something to be learned here for everybody. Perhaps 37 was getting somewhere with his post on hagiography. The terrible monsters we might create out of idolatry.

I don't know though because I still can't really formulate what my reaction to this whole business is.