Penn State needs to burn for this.

I'm waffling on this. I can see the argument for "Penn State should burn for this" and for LOIC. I don't know. It's an unprecedented situation.

Unprecedented is the issue. Once the trial is done I think the NCAA needs to sit down with Penn State and have a heart to heart. From what has come out, and how things are pointing to many levels of people knowing, and not acting, this is beyond horrible. Some of us have to defend big money college sports. I know I have, people who say coaches players etc have way to much influence in places like Penn State, or Nebraska. TO, Jo Pa Bear Bryant, these are men who names are venerated, many of us have kids named after our favorite Huskers (dont tell me my brother is the only one who does that). Jerry and co have put a huge black eye on all of big money college sports, Penn States President put a huge ol' shiner on us yesterday, it is beyond awful... Penn State and the culture that existed during and after Jerry's time there helped him prey on young vulnerable boys. Children who had no one to turn to, who were looking for a strong, positive, male influence in there lives, instead they got Jerry Sandusky who, with a blind eye from Penn State, took these kids lives. If that doesn't violate the very core, the very nature, of what the NCAA is supposed to uphold, what most of us hold at the core of not only sportsmanship, but our everyday lives, then I dont want anything to do with it. Penn State must go down, many are innocent, but the framework that allowed for this to happen still exists, and the NCAA needs to show they are capable of holding these powerful programs at bay, and responsible for the most horrific events.

:rant Sorry about that.....

• Fire 2

I'm waffling on this. I can see the argument for "Penn State should burn for this" and for LOIC. I don't know. It's an unprecedented situation.

Unprecedented is the issue. Once the trial is done I think the NCAA needs to sit down with Penn State and have a heart to heart. From what has come out, and how things are pointing to many levels of people knowing, and not acting, this is beyond horrible. Some of us have to defend big money college sports. I know I have, people who say coaches players etc have way to much influence in places like Penn State, or Nebraska. TO, Jo Pa Bear Bryant, these are men who names are venerated, many of us have kids named after our favorite Huskers (dont tell me my brother is the only one who does that). Jerry and co have put a huge black eye on all of big money college sports, Penn States President put a huge ol' shiner on us yesterday, it is beyond awful... Penn State and the culture that existed during and after Jerry's time there helped him prey on young vulnerable boys. Children who had no one to turn to, who were looking for a strong, positive, male influence in there lives, instead they got Jerry Sandusky who, with a blind eye from Penn State, took these kids lives. If that doesn't violate the very core, the very nature, of what the NCAA is supposed to uphold, what most of us hold at the core of not only sportsmanship, but our everyday lives, then I dont want anything to do with it. Penn State must go down, many are innocent, but the framework that allowed for this to happen still exists, and the NCAA needs to show they are capable of holding these powerful programs at bay, and responsible for the most horrific events.

+1

Is the threat of these types of repercussions the reason the Penn State Adminnistration swept everything under the carpet?

Very well stated. I agree.

I would guess many of us doubt the NCAA will delve into this territory, at least I do. I think they should but doubt they will. Is this an issue the Big Ten conference should/can address? My feeling is; Hey, you know what, we don't need or want an institution that got/has their values this screwed up. You're on your own now PSU. Don't let the door hit ya. It feels sort of strange being in the conference only 1 year and wanting to help protect it's reputation but I think something like this should be considered by the member institutions. I think it would send a message that at least the other schools in the conference have their values in the right place. If we don't cut ties, doesn't that to some extent indicate that our (other B1G members) values are on money and program prestige and ahead of what is right? I guess I'm thinking the conference should at the very least place some sort of sanctions on PSU, if not permenantly cut ties with them.

I would guess many of us doubt the NCAA will delve into this territory, at least I do. I think they should but doubt they will. Is this an issue the Big Ten conference should/can address? My feeling is; Hey, you know what, we don't need or want an institution that got/has their values this screwed up. You're on your own now PSU. Don't let the door hit ya. It feels sort of strange being in the conference only 1 year and wanting to help protect it's reputation but I think something like this should be considered by the member institutions. I think it would send a message that at least the other schools in the conference have their values in the right place. If we don't cut ties, doesn't that to some extent indicate that our (other B1G members) values are on money and program prestige and ahead of what is right? I guess I'm thinking the conference should at the very least place some sort of sanctions on PSU, if not permenantly cut ties with them.

Seems unfair to punish so many for the actions of so few..No matter how high up it goes.

The ultimate goal should be preventing something like this from happening again, and even just the inevitable tarnishing of the school's reputation may be too much to keep some victims from coming forward or self reporting by the admins of other places in the future.

I have very little experience with courts/law, but the Defense atourneys seem to be tanking their case on purpose. Generating damaging testimony on their own and helping the prosecution... Is it possible they're trying to get a mistrial thinking the victims won't put themselves through this again? Or maybe ol' Jerr is getting off on this and/or want's to be some inmate's girlfriend?

I have very little experience with courts/law, but the Defense atourneys seem to be tanking their case on purpose. Generating damaging testimony on their own and helping the prosecution... Is it possible they're trying to get a mistrial thinking the victims won't put themselves through this again? Or maybe ol' Jerr is getting off on this and/or want's to be some inmate's girlfriend?

I'm in the same boat, seems all of there tactics get them buried deeper. It is possible this is one of those cases that are just undeniable but every person deserves a trial. Also he is going to take the stand at some point.

In my opinion it's possible but not likely.

Winning with an ineffective assistance of counsel claim is so rare as to be almost impossible. Basically, Sandusky would have to show that but for his attorney's objectively unreasonable defense he would have won. With the evidence against him . . . that's just not going to happen.

Parts of the football program are responsible, but you have to remember that there are hundreds of people involved in Penn State football, from players to coaches to administration to staff. They are not all responsible for this; only a tiny percentage is. I would hate to see Penn State football as a whole punished for this.

Penn St football as a whole is responsible for this because, were it not for the entity of PSU football, it would have never happened.

In the literal sense, yes, the current crop of players, or even ones for the past few years, had nothing to do directly with Sandusky's actions, but that's also not the point at all. The demagoguery of the Penn St program, identity and legend of Joe Paterno is obviously responsible for letting this behavior continue far too long. Sandusky would have found a way to harm children were he not a coach at Penn St., I think that's obvious, but look how easy it was for him to do so because he was. And they, as an institution of higher learning, with mission statements and charters dedicated to improving other's lives, making men and women of people, and asking parents to trust them to do so made a conscious choice to do as little as possible to stop it, and instead chose to cover their own ass. For the chief reason of protecting their brand and the legacy of an iconic coach. Recruits over sodomy. Football respectability over not scarring troubled kids for the rest of their lives. And knowing they probably had a better than decent chance of getting away with it because they have built a fiefdom that spanned their small area, where they could control the limited media coverage and intimidate those who dared dig just a little below the service. The whole thing is so appalling that it just boggles the mind.

And it continued on for years because there was a concious choice that football was more important.

That's why they don't deserve to have it anymore.

• Fire 1

Seems unfair to punish so many for the actions of so few..No matter how high up it goes.

The ultimate goal should be preventing something like this from happening again, and even just the inevitable tarnishing of the school's reputation may be too much to keep some victims from coming forward or self reporting by the admins of other places in the future.

It's been said a million times.... The cover up is the third rail.... Come forward right away with this and it maybe not even be discussed by now. Instead they tried to cover it up and now they must pay.... Everyone!!! Cause by keeping this quiet, more children were abused! Disgusting actions covered up by cowardly people!!
  • 2 weeks later...