Militarization of state and local police?

APC's and Amp APCs are a necessary componate of a state/ cities ability to combat crime. Not to mention the OP is talking about small town cops, when most of these vehicles are controled by state and large metro areas. Being able to control situations because the police have the proper training and equipment is essential to protecting the general public. Would I prefer to live in a Country/State/City where APC's are not necessary, yes I would. But I also want to know that when the sh*t hits the fan I am being protected by equipment that is made for the job, not some Dodge Ram with KC lights and a Deputy in the bed.

Well said. This isn't about what the cops have in their arsenal, it's about what they have to go up against. If you don't like it, then go after the gun laws themselves or harsher penalties for the criminals. The cops should always have the advantage, not the other way around when it comes to firepower. All this over military surplus that if it didn't end up in the cops hands it would probably end up getting sold to Mexican drug dealers by Eric Holder.

^^^supports increased governmental spending. ;)

If it is equipment at a bargain price that may save cops lives, absolutely!

APC's and Amp APCs are a necessary componate of a state/ cities ability to combat crime. Not to mention the OP is talking about small town cops, when most of these vehicles are controled by state and large metro areas. Being able to control situations because the police have the proper training and equipment is essential to protecting the general public. Would I prefer to live in a Country/State/City where APC's are not necessary, yes I would. But I also want to know that when the sh*t hits the fan I am being protected by equipment that is made for the job, not some Dodge Ram with KC lights and a Deputy in the bed.

Well said. This isn't about what the cops have in their arsenal, it's about what they have to go up against. If you don't like it, then go after the gun laws themselves or harsher penalties for the criminals. The cops should always have the advantage, not the other way around when it comes to firepower. All this over military surplus that if it didn't end up in the cops hands it would probably end up getting sold to Mexican drug dealers by Eric Holder.

And you're OK with the increased maintenance and training costs?

It's always interesting to find the areas where people are willing to accept bigger government. I guess this is one of those areas for you.

What I am saying is the State Patrol wouldn't bring something like that in unless they thought they needed it. I'll trust their judgement over yours every day.

Well, as long as they keep trusting my judgment then I guess we'll be in good shape. I'll remember that the next time they call asking for advice in the middle of the night. :P

And you're OK with the increased maintenance and training costs?

It's always interesting to find the areas where people are willing to accept bigger government. I guess this is one of those areas for you.

For three of these? It's peanuts. The big government scare tactics is failing you miserably in this thread. As I mentioned earlier things like this are a drop in the bucket when you compare to what they pay for pensions in places like Omaha. The fact you try to link this to big government is laughable, especially considering what just happened today.

What I am saying is the State Patrol wouldn't bring something like that in unless they thought they needed it. I'll trust their judgement over yours every day.

Well, as long as they keep trusting my judgment then I guess we'll be in good shape. I'll remember that the next time they call asking for advice in the middle of the night. :P

Just be sure to ask them about armored vehicles and what they think of the State Patrol having three of them when they do call and please get back to us on that.

Just be sure to ask them about armored vehicles and what they think of the State Patrol having three of them when they do call and please get back to us on that.

I think I'll ask them how many have actually seen one of the APCs and whether or not they'd like to just be paid more in salary instead of wasting money on seldom used equipment. Could be enlightening. I'll report back in a week or so. Wish me luck.

I think I'll ask them how many have actually seen one of the APCs and whether or not they'd like to just be paid more in salary instead of wasting money on seldom used equipment. Could be enlightening. I'll report back in a week or so. Wish me luck.

Good luck, you'll need it. :)

I'm guessing they have all seen them, since the cops spend most of the day joyriding around in them.

I'm guessing they have all seen them, since the cops spend most of the day joyriding around in them.

Eh?

That's what they got them for remember? Just another toy for the boys to drive around with. BTW, putting the wasteful spending argument aside for a moment, if anyone here doesn't think it would be cool to drive one around then all I can ask is what color of dress are you wearing today.

Eh?

That's what they got them for remember? Just another toy for the boys to drive around with. BTW, putting the wasteful spending argument aside for a moment, if anyone here doesn't think it would be cool to drive one around then all I can ask is what color of dress are you wearing today.

Would you guess that more minutes are spent just driving them around or actually using them for their intended purpose?