Militarization of state and local police?

Unless some of these towns have a much higher number of police per capita than Omaha, wouldn't one of those things pretty much carry the whole police force?

Yeah that thing was at the standoff, my question is where was the sniper. An APC for one dude with a gun is a bit of overkill.

The sniper was probably no where near that. I'm assuming he'd have been set up in the near vicinity with good overwatch of the area...

Rather laughable that people are concerned with the costs of these pieces of equipment when you compare it to cost of pensions some of the larger forces get. I haven't seen any of these vehicles out cruising the highways yet for NSP joyrides. I'm guessing they use them only when needed, like Alliance, you know that incident where three cops got shot. Guess we all have different thoughts on what a police officers life is worth. Heck if Omaha would cut their pensions down, they could probably afford a couple of F-16s!

http://omaha.com/article/20120311/NEWS01/703119919

http://nebraska.watchdog.org/4765/omaha-police-pay-have-you-seen-these-salary-figures/

"If all three recent chiefs live through age 76, the average life expectancy for a U.S. male, their payments from this year on will total nearly $9.8 million

Rather laughable that people are concerned with the costs of these pieces of equipment when you compare it to cost of pensions some of the larger forces get. I haven't seen any of these vehicles out cruising the highways yet for NSP joyrides. I'm guessing they use them only when needed, like Alliance, you know that incident where three cops got shot. Guess we all have different thoughts on what a police officers life is worth. Heck if Omaha would cut their pensions down, they could probably afford a couple of F-16s!

http://omaha.com/art...EWS01/703119919

http://nebraska.watc...salary-figures/

"If all three recent chiefs live through age 76, the average life expectancy for a U.S. male, their payments from this year on will total nearly $9.8 million

I'd hate to imagine what 3 Suffolk County Chiefs would make. Suffolk county cops start at about 50k a year, and within roughly 5 years, with OT, can make in excess of 150k

I'm guessing they use them only when needed, like Alliance, you know that incident where three cops got shot. Guess we all have different thoughts on what a police officers life is worth.

Yeah! If only they would have had an armored personnel carrier in Alliance on that day. Then those three cops wouldn't have gotten shot. That's an excellent point.

Wait . . . we did have an APC in Alliance that day. What were you saying, now?

• Fire 1

http://omaha.com/art...EWS01/703119919

http://nebraska.watc...salary-figures/

Yep, those Barney Fife's are priceless! If you don't believe it......just ask them. Forget that the average cop has an IQ of a gerbil. Who cares? Them with our awesome public school teachers..... can't be bought out, can't go out of business, meet the slave taxpayer requirements or file bankruptcy.....gravy train forever! It's really, really the true blue American way.

I'm guessing they use them only when needed, like Alliance, you know that incident where three cops got shot. Guess we all have different thoughts on what a police officers life is worth.

Yeah! If only they would have had an armored personnel carrier in Alliance on that day. Then those three cops wouldn't have gotten shot. That's an excellent point.

Wait . . . we did have an APC in Alliance that day. What were you saying, now?

I said they bring them in when they have situations like this. Alliance was a perfect example of where something like this could be useful. I really doubt the State Patrol brought it just so they could play with their toy. My guess is it is used so they can maneuver to a location without getting shot. Probably works as an intimidation factor as well. I'm glad they had the resource available. By your logic since three cops got shot we may as well get rid of bullet proof vest as well, what a waste of money.

By your logic since three cops got shot we may as well get rid of bullet proof vest as well, what a waste of money.

That makes just as much sense as you saying that we need them so that officers don't get shot . . . when they did use one and three officers were shot.

Your logic needs to be shored up.

APC's and Amp APCs are a necessary componate of a state/ cities ability to combat crime. Not to mention the OP is talking about small town cops, when most of these vehicles are controled by state and large metro areas. Being able to control situations because the police have the proper training and equipment is essential to protecting the general public. Would I prefer to live in a Country/State/City where APC's are not necessary, yes I would. But I also want to know that when the sh*t hits the fan I am being protected by equipment that is made for the job, not some Dodge Ram with KC lights and a Deputy in the bed.

By your logic since three cops got shot we may as well get rid of bullet proof vest as well, what a waste of money.

That makes just as much sense as you saying that we need them so that officers don't get shot . . . when they did use one and three officers were shot.

Wow, this one is way over your head. The first city officer was shot early in the standoff as he entered the pharmacy, the other two as they were setting up the perimeter not long after that, all before they even had the armored vehicle there. They brought it in to protect themselves from further actions.

Next time you may want to actually know the facts of the what happened before you reply. I guess three cops already being shot isn't justification enough to bring in some armor to a scene. Wow, some real cop haters on here I guess, sad.

APC's and Amp APCs are a necessary componate of a state/ cities ability to combat crime. Not to mention the OP is talking about small town cops, when most of these vehicles are controled by state and large metro areas. Being able to control situations because the police have the proper training and equipment is essential to protecting the general public. Would I prefer to live in a Country/State/City where APC's are not necessary, yes I would. But I also want to know that when the sh*t hits the fan I am being protected by equipment that is made for the job, not some Dodge Ram with KC lights and a Deputy in the bed.

Well said. This isn't about what the cops have in their arsenal, it's about what they have to go up against. If you don't like it, then go after the gun laws themselves or harsher penalties for the criminals. The cops should always have the advantage, not the other way around when it comes to firepower. All this over military surplus that if it didn't end up in the cops hands it would probably end up getting sold to Mexican drug dealers by Eric Holder. ;):P

Wow, this one is way over your head. The first city officer was shot early in the standoff as he entered the pharmacy, the other two as they were setting up the perimeter not long after that, all before they even had the armored vehicle there. They brought it in to protect themselves from further actions.

Next time you may want to actually know the facts of the what happened before you reply. I guess three cops already being shot isn't justification enough to bring in some armor to a scene. Wow, some real cop haters on here I guess, sad.

So you're saying that the armored vehicle didn't prevent them from being shot? (Pretty familiar with that case . . .)

I'm definitely not a cop hater. I work with dozens of them. Good people. Only two bad apples in the bunch in my opinion.

But, hey. I'm guessing (and hoping) that your livelihood isn't dependent on mind reading.

Can we get back to saying that if you don't think that small town police need tanks that you hate cops? :P

Well said. This isn't about what the cops have in their arsenal, it's about what they have to go up against. If you don't like it, then go after the gun laws themselves or harsher penalties for the criminals. The cops should always have the advantage, not the other way around when it comes to firepower. All this over military surplus that if it didn't end up in the cops hands it would probably end up getting sold to Mexican drug dealers by Eric Holder.

^^^supports increased governmental spending. ;)

Back in college I took my girlfriend to Omaha to fly out of Eppley, got lost on the way out of there at about 11pm, and ended up around 30th and Ames. Looking back, it would've been nice having one of these in that area.

So you're saying that the armored vehicle didn't prevent them from being shot? (Pretty familiar with that case . . .)

I'm definitely not a cop hater. I work with dozens of them. Good people. Only two bad apples in the bunch in my opinion.

But, hey. I'm guessing (and hoping) that your livelihood isn't dependent on mind reading.

Can we get back to saying that if you don't think that small town police need tanks that you hate cops? :P

What I am saying is the State Patrol wouldn't bring something like that in unless they thought they needed it. I'll trust their judgement over yours every day. If you work with dozens of them why don't you ask them what they think of them and get back to us after you have talked to a few of them.