Militarization of state and local police?

Fn49F.jpg

I am reading this article on Wired and trying to figure out why the Nebraska State Patrol has 3 amphibious assault vehicles. Just thinking back to my run ins with the law in high school, and how insanely unprofessional small town police in general were about such high crimes of smoking cigarettes and doing 30 in a 25...makes me sick to think those same people getting armored vehicles and military small arms. As one commentator said, boys with toys want to play with them. The entire police force in Germany fired 89 bullets in total last year...while we're doing this.

http://www.wired.com...oom%29&pid=1303

Acquired almost three years ago, their highest achievement has been helping with a flood last year and with a shooting a couple of weeks ago.

Right, because a boat or a helicopter was probably too little show of force for the floods. We need an amphibious assault vehicle to show mother nature that we're serious!

If my timeline is right, this trend started after the bank robbers in CA used assault rifles and body armor, and the cops had .22s for the most part. And a complete inability to aim for the head...

No many if not most cruisers have a M-16 variant instead of just a shotgun.

I guess I'd have an easier time with that if it were a city with a large population or exceedingly high crime rate...

That's exactly what I was thinking. There is almost no reason why any place in Nebraska outside of Omaha and possibly Lincoln would need that vehicle. Lincoln is even a stretch to me, but I don't think the state p has any need for those vehicles. It's a waste of money and frankly It's a little frightening to think the state police are militarizing. I'm not a conspiracy guy but it's kind of scary to think about, reminds me of all those books/movies/games where the state takes over and rules the people.

I guess I'd have an easier time with that if it were a city with a large population or exceedingly high crime rate...

That's exactly what I was thinking. There is almost no reason why any place in Nebraska outside of Omaha and possibly Lincoln would need that vehicle. Lincoln is even a stretch to me, but I don't think the state p has any need for those vehicles. It's a waste of money and frankly It's a little frightening to think the state police are militarizing. I'm not a conspiracy guy but it's kind of scary to think about, reminds me of all those books/movies/games where the state takes over and rules the people.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about the states taking over people. Mega corps are the ones more likely to do it.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about the states taking over people. Mega corps are the ones more likely to do it.

I'm not worried about the militarization, I'm more concerned about that being a big ass waste of money. All that really is, is a police chief being able to show off to other chief's, that "his" is bigger than theirs...

I'm not worried about the militarization, I'm more concerned about that being a big ass waste of money. All that really is, is a police chief being able to show off to other chief's, that "his" is bigger than theirs...

Thing is PD's are acquiring this surplus equipment at little or no cost from the pentagon, but it cost a lot to maintain helicopters and armored vehicles. So it's like a double whammy to tax payers. I don't understand why the heavy equipment is not being transferred to the national guard for use by trained personnel or sold to friendly nations that actually need it for military use.

If I were living in a town the size of Hastings, and the PD acquired an armored personnel carrier, I'd find it more than alarming. I also have no doubt that survivalist groups are seeing this as a loophole for Posse Comitatus laws and something really bad is gona happen, outweighing any possible good a PD having this equipment may do.

Thing is PD's are acquiring this surplus equipment at little or no cost from the pentagon, but it cost a lot to maintain helicopters and armored vehicles. So it's like a double whammy to tax payers. I don't understand why the heavy equipment is not being transferred to the national guard for use by trained personnel or sold to friendly nations that actually need it for military use.

If I were living in a town the size of Hastings, and the PD acquired an armored personnel carrier, I'd find it more than alarming. I also have no doubt that survivalist groups are seeing this as a loophole for Posse Comitatus laws and something really bad is gona happen, outweighing any possible good a PD having this equipment may do.

Yeah, people sometimes fail to realize, to keep a Blackhawk up for an hour of flight time for example, costs a couple thousand dollars. It's not like you can take that APC to midas to get the brakes and exhaust checked out...

• Fire 1

Yeah, people sometimes fail to realize, to keep a Blackhawk up for an hour of flight time for example, costs a couple thousand dollars. It's not like you can take that APC to midas to get the brakes and exhaust checked out...

:yeah

Unless some of these towns have a much higher number of police per capita than Omaha, wouldn't one of those things pretty much carry the whole police force?

Yeah that thing was at the standoff, my question is where was the sniper. An APC for one dude with a gun is a bit of overkill.