Paid 2 Play

The only comment I have is....let the kid speak his mind. I see others on other boards getting so butt-hurt about what he said. The kid makes a solid argument and IMO it becomes trivial to continue bickering over it. The reason is.... the powers-to-be are the deciding factor, not the players. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the payers paid, but there can be huge financial back-blow to this...ie. having to pay everyone (all athletes from all sports) and the smaller schools suffering to pay players. Even if you pay the players a low-salary, ie. less than 10 grand a year, it can and will harm smaller colleges who can't afford to even keep up with maintaining their athletic program endeavors. Now, if you just single out college football considering it's total revenues are overall, greater than any other college sport in the U.S., smaller schools could and more than likely, will still struggle to pay players. There definitely could be a system put in place, but like any system, it will have it's flaws and others will not like it for various reasons. This is just my two cents.

I think Kenny Bell is entitled to speak his mind.

But he clearly doesn't even remotely begin to understand how paying football players is a Pandora's Box which should never be opened. First, if we pay football players then we have to pay basketball players. And then we have to pay volleyball, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, diving, and every other sport because in the spirit of fairness why should just football players receive money? Second, then there's Title IX to consider which will affect money being paid because female athletes will want the same amount as male athletes get. Third, then there's the question of meeting budgets and should athletes in non-revenue producing sports be paid as much as those in revenue producing sports? Fourth, what about televised sports, does that warrant more money or is it a set amount regardless?

Someone else said it on another board and I concur: If Kenny Bell doesn't like his current situation he is 100% free to quit. No one is forcing him to attend college and play college football.

Further, I'd like Bell to try and work two full-time jobs to try and pay for college like I did, and then try to find time to study. And then on top of that have to worry about making rent, buying food, and all the other costs associated with going to college. Try working 16 hours and then realizing you have a five page poli-sci paper due tomorrow.

I'm sure Kenny Bell is a great young man, but honestly, he has almost no idea how easy he actually has it.

• Fire 4

The only comment I have is....let the kid speak his mind. I see others on other boards getting so butt-hurt about what he said. The kid makes a solid argument and IMO it becomes trivial to continue bickering over it. The reason is.... the powers-to-be are the deciding factor, not the players. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the payers paid, but there can be huge financial back-blow to this...ie. having to pay everyone (all athletes from all sports) and the smaller schools suffering to pay players. Even if you pay the players a low-salary, ie. less than 10 grand a year, it can and will harm smaller colleges who can't afford to even keep up with maintaining their athletic program endeavors. Now, if you just single out college football considering it's total revenues are overall, greater than any other college sport in the U.S., smaller schools could and more than likely, will still struggle to pay players. There definitely could be a system put in place, but like any system, it will have it's flaws and others will not like it for various reasons. This is just my two cents.

I think Kenny Bell is entitled to speak his mind.

But he clearly doesn't even remotely begin to understand how paying football players is a Pandora's Box which should never be opened. First, if we pay football players then we have to pay basketball players. And then we have to pay volleyball, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, diving, and every other sport because in the spirit of fairness why should just football players receive money? Second, then there's Title IX to consider which will affect money being paid because female athletes will want the same amount as male athletes get. Third, then there's the question of meeting budgets and should athletes in non-revenue producing sports be paid as much as those in revenue producing sports? Fourth, what about televised sports, does that warrant more money or is it a set amount regardless?

Someone else said it on another board and I concur: If Kenny Bell doesn't like his current situation he is 100% free to quit. No one is forcing him to attend college and play college football.

Further, I'd like Bell to try and work two full-time jobs to try and pay for college like I did, and then try to find time to study. And then on top of that have to worry about making rent, buying food, and all the other costs associated with going to college. Try working 16 hours and then realizing you have a five page poli-sci paper due tomorrow.

I'm sure Kenny Bell is a great young man, but honestly, he has almost no idea how easy he actually has it.

Nail on the head man. Another thing to consider is when this old guy went to college, nobody had a cell phone. I bet he has the best smart phone with data and all of the bells and whistles too.

Some one said get a job if you need which it is almost impossible to do.

Athletes are not the only people getting full rides on campus. If I'm in band on scholarship I can perform on the weekend to make money. If I create a software program as a business major on scholarship the school does not own the rights to my program. As a biology major on Scholarship if I create a drug do I owe the school for using there facilities? No.

Someone also mentioned going back to NFL players and getting money for the exposure they gained while at the school. How much money has the school made off Suh since he was on campus and since he has left.

Coaches make millions, schools make millions, but when talk starts about compensation for the people doing the work - it cant happen because it's amateur athletics.

Athletes are not the only people getting full rides on campus. If I'm in band on scholarship I can perform on the weekend to make money. If I create a software program as a business major on scholarship the school does not own the rights to my program. As a biology major on Scholarship if I create a drug do I owe the school for using there facilities? No.

Someone also mentioned going back to NFL players and getting money for the exposure they gained while at the school. How much money has the school made off Suh since he was on campus and since he has left.

Coaches make millions, schools make millions, but when talk starts about compensation for the people doing the work - it cant happen because it's amateur athletics.

Congrats for the biggest whiff of the day.

• Fire 1

Nail on the head man. Another thing to consider is when this old guy went to college, nobody had a cell phone. I bet he has the best smart phone with data and all of the bells and whistles too.

I do know that he has a pair of $400 head phones that I saw in a nebraska video with it on his head. If your going to complain about money, don't flaunt what you already have.

• Fire 1

I don't see how you could ever just pay football players. If you paid athletes, you would have to pay all of them the same amount. Title IX would say you pay the women's teams as well. Would a university such as Nebraska who does make money want to start paying the women's rifle team just so the football players could have some extra cash? Even if they have full rides, can't they still take out some form of loan to get them through college? The loan would still be a heck of a lot less then what the average graduating student leaves with.

Congrats for the biggest whiff of the day.

That's fine still my thoughts like everyone else's on the topic.

Okay so we pay football players.

What's your solution when basketball, volleyball, track and field, swimming, diving, lacrosse, field hockey, wrestling, and every other sport I haven't mentioned demands to be paid? Who's going to foot that bill? The average fan who sees ticket prices jump from 89 dollars to 256 per ticket? Paying football players sounds good, but there are far too many other ancillary issues involved to make it such a clear cut case.

uh ponies. I looooooove Ponies. Do I have to talk more about paying players for you to post them?

Wait, there was a link?

ANYONE WHO THINKS COLLEGE ATHLETES NEED MORE MONEY NEEDS TO READ THIS ARTICLE AND THEN CHANGE THEIR MIND OKAY GOOD.

http://www.holyturf....hin-ncaa-rules/

$17,040- Grand Total

Remember, this excludes any money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional meals provided by boosters. Monthly, football players are looking at $1,420 cash in their pocket without having to buy books or pay tuition and fees. Did you have $1,420 of cash every month in college?

ANYONE WHO THINKS COLLEGE ATHLETES NEED MORE MONEY NEEDS TO READ THIS ARTICLE AND THEN CHANGE THEIR MIND OKAY GOOD.

ANYONE WHO THINKS COLLEGE ATHLETES NEED MORE MONEY NEEDS TO READ THIS ARTICLE AND THEN CHANGE THEIR MIND OKAY GOOD. REPEATED FOR EMPHASIS.

I used to think they should be paid a little, but I don't want to see those ugly ponies ever again.

1) Participation/practice does take a lot of their time away from school and regular life and can limit you a little on which major you're able to pursue unless you're some sort of wiz kid with time management.

B) Being on scholarship used to prevent you from getting supplimental income through part time employment like the other kids which if it still exists, I wouldn't mind seeing done away with.

3) If they don't think it's worth all the trouble, there's plenty of kids that would (kill) pay to be able to suit up and play.