Romney/Bain

This story might have legs.

http://bostonglobe.c...sUTI/story.html

According to a statement issued by Bain Wednesday, “Mitt Romney retired from Bain Capital in February 1999. He has had no involvement in the management or investment activities of Bain Capital, or with any of its portfolio companies, since that time.”

A former SEC commissioner told the Globe that the SEC documents listing Romney as Bain’s chief executive between 1999 and 2002 cannot be dismissed so easily.

“You can’t say statements filed with the SEC are meaningless. This is a fact in an SEC filing,” said Roberta S. Karmel, now a professor at Brooklyn Law School.

Who cares. Bain is basically turnaround management. They will only come in when existing "smart guys" (bosses) are sucking and in need of capital that they don't deserve. Sounds like the US government. Start hacking and chopping turnaround Mitt :)

Who cares. Bain is basically turnaround management. They will only come in when existing "smart guys" (bosses) are sucking and in need of capital that they don't deserve. Sounds like the US government. Start hacking and chopping turnaround Mitt :)

what?

that was all over the place.

So a Presidential candidate has at best a big misrepresentation of when he was in charge of a company, in an attempt to get his name out from under unpopular investments, and decisions. Or a large investment firm was filing fraudulent forms with the SEC. Sounds like something that has some importance to it.

Would this be the first time that a major party presidential candidate might be facing a felony investigation in the months leading up to the election?

It's crazy how someone can draw a $100,000 executive salary as the "sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president" of a company and not be involved in the operations of the company in any way.

Apparently, Romney thinks that the American people lack common sense. Judging from the circling of the wagons of the GOPers . . . he just might be right.

I'm probably missing something here but, is this in anyway associated with the Obama attack ads that accuse Romney of gutting companies while he was with Bain? Like that in way indicates what he would do as President. The implication of Obama's ad is that he would ruin the country/economy in the same way he supposedley put numerous people out of work and liquidadited "healthy, successful" companies. I don't get how doing a good job and maximizing your investors position equates to somehow not being able to be President. If you're CEO of a Bain Capital, that is what you do in some cases. I don't have problem with it and I am already tired of the sad old people they are trotting out to say what an evil person he is. Hello, that's how it works in the big time investment capital business.

I'm probably missing something here but, is this in anyway associated with the Obama attack ads that accuse Romney of gutting companies while he was with Bain? Like that in way indicates what he would do as President. The implication of Obama's ad is that he would ruin the country/economy in the same way he supposedley put numerous people out of work and liquidadited "healthy, successful" companies. I don't get how doing a good job and maximizing your investors position equates to somehow not being able to be President. If you're CEO of a Bain Capital, that is what you do in some cases. I don't have problem with it and I am already tired of the sad old people they are trotting out to say what an evil person he is. Hello, that's how it works in the big time investment capital business.

Isn't his business experience the main thing that Romney touts? He can't really have it both ways.

Romney wants his business record to be his biggest strength on the campaign trail . . . so Obama is going to try to turn it into a liability.

(In a round about way, you're correct. This does stem from Romney's denials about outsourcing and bankrupting companies . . . but I think the main point is that he either lied to evade responsibility for those actions or he lied to the SEC.)

• Fire 1

It's an odd campaign.

Romney can't run on his public record. His base would be apoplectic if he ran as a Massachusetts moderate whose primary accomplishment was the basis for the Affordable Care Act.

Romney can't run on his private record. His private record shows Bain outsourcing jobs and bankrupting companies.

That doesn't leave much wiggle room. I guess he can always talk about how he saved the 2002 Olympics by spending millions on lobbyists to secure over $340 million dollars in federal earmarks.

• Fire 1

It's an odd campaign.

Romney can't run on his public record. His base would be apoplectic if he ran as a Massachusetts moderate whose primary accomplishment was the basis for the Affordable Care Act.

Romney can't run on his private record. His private record shows Bain outsourcing jobs and bankrupting companies.

That doesn't leave much wiggle room. I guess he can always talk about how he saved the 2002 Olympics by spending millions on lobbyists to secure over $340 million dollars in federal earmarks.

luckily for him, republicans don't fall in love with their candidates, they fall in-line with them. most people won't actually be voting for romney, they will be voting against obama.

• Fire 1