Loving Israel so much you misspell it.

Just google Israeli US relations tense.

Sure . . . and what result do you get if you google "Israeli US relations normal?"

Selection bias is a powerful thing.

If you start from the assumption that relations between the US and Israel are strained you will surely find data points to support your belief. That doesn't mean that your belief is correct.

You are a person who supports the more liberal side, I am not. You pull out facts, I can counter with my facts that support my view. Same song, different verse.

Is it a coincidence that TonyStalloni, lo country, and Yossarian all joined in the same week, or am I reading into this too much.

I think it was about the time that a certain cesspool (Huskerpedia) closed. They weren't welcomed at Huskermax so they ended up here.

Then we went through a several month period where Yos took his ball and went home . . . and now we're here.

Hey bro, I have tried to have a civil discussion. you don't know me so don't even pretend you do. Was a member at Max and HP. Came to this board. Could have stayed at Max, but saved the cash. Get your facts right.

Apologies. I wasn't pretending to know you. I was just explaining why we had a lot of new posters around the same time.

The "not welcomed" comment was aimed at the teenage girl style breakup of the HPers and HMers. That wasn't directed at you in particular.

Anyways, I'm not your bro, brah. :P

For some, their liberal ties are stronger than blood. Apparently their race hasn't learned the lesson of what happens with an all powerful central government.

Let me get this straight. Not enough perceived support of Israel = all-powerful central government? Come on.

We are nowhere near an all powerful central government and any arguments to that effect are solely for the purpose of alarmist spin. It is the exact same thing that less conscientious environmental groups do when they start proclaiming all these doomsday propositions. Hyperbole serves no use in real discussion.

Also, why should the US support Israel's pre-emptive strike? (honest question).

In general I think the US agenda in the middle east should be for long-term peace and stability, and whether that always aligns with Israel's own agenda doesn't really matter.

Also, as I remember, there was nothing about not being welcomed by HuskerMax. It was more of a lot of HP members didn't want to go there.

• Fire 2

You pull out facts, I can counter with my facts that support my view.

Do you get what I'm saying though?

Do you see a problem with wanting to believe that US and Israeli relations are tense and proving that by searching for "Israeli US relations tense" on google? Did you see a lot of articles with that search string that disproved your theory? Did you wonder why?

You missed my point. We help and the world still hates us.

That they do. Maybe it's because we casually invade countries.

Oh and I would like more on defense spending. I am a realist that way.

Not me. I, for one, am concerned about the deficit. (Or does that concern only matter at certain times?)

Why should we spend more on defense? What threats do we face that are bigger than the USSR was? China? :lol:

Incursion from terrorist groups through Mexico. Venezuela. A new Russia under Putnin, China militarily and economically. Iran and their ability to now strike coalition bases. the emergence of the "Arab Spring" as its elected governments are now the Muslim Brotherhood ie a new Caliph, Sharia law and Wahabiist ideology. Other than that, we are great.

Deficit is a huge problem. Does it concern you that the current administration has spent more than all the Presidents in US history? That our deficit has almost quadrupled in 3.5 years? Or dos that only concern you at certain times?

Again, the same old same old, point counter point. Agree to disagree. You will never convince me nor me you.

Incursion from terrorist groups through Mexico. Venezuela. A new Russia under Putnin, China militarily and economically. Iran and their ability to now strike coalition bases. the emergence of the "Arab Spring" as its elected governments are now the Muslim Brotherhood ie a new Caliph, Sharia law and Wahabiist ideology. Other than that, we are great.

That's it? Oh my . . . :rollin

Let's build a new fleet of supercarriers. The future of our country is in jeopardy.

I remember when we were worried about nuclear annihilation . . . that seems almost quaint now that we have to worry about a starving guy with a pistol sneaking across the Mexican border.

Deficit is a huge problem. Does it concern you that the current administration has spent more than all the Presidents in US history? That our deficit has almost quadrupled in 3.5 years? Or dos that only concern you at certain times?

But you want to increase governmental spending. Noted.

Billions on humanitarian aid

Yeah . . . if we cut our entire humanitarian aid budget we could buy one and a half more B2 bombers each year.

You missed my point. We help and the world still hates us. Oh and I would like more on defense spending. I am a realist that way.

Much of their hate is completely justified due to the destruction we have caused their country serving our own self-interest. The U.S. is not the benevolent humanitarian country you are portraying it to be.

Is it a coincidence that TonyStalloni, lo country, and Yossarian all joined in the same week, or am I reading into this too much.

I think it was about the time that a certain cesspool (Huskerpedia) closed. They weren't welcomed at Huskermax so they ended up here.

Then we went through a several month period where Yos took his ball and went home . . . and now we're here.

Hey bro, I have tried to have a civil discussion. you don't know me so don't even pretend you do. Was a member at Max and HP. Came to this board. Could have stayed at Max, but saved the cash. Get your facts right.

Apologies. I wasn't pretending to know you. I was just explaining why we had a lot of new posters around the same time.

The "not welcomed" comment was aimed at the teenage girl style breakup of the HPers and HMers. That wasn't directed at you in particular.

Anyways, I'm not your bro, brah. :P

Apologies as wel! I need to stick to the football forum. Stay off politics and religion. Hell we can't even agree on football (a team we ALL feel the same about). Stupid to think we can agree on politics or religion.

To bad about HP and Max. That break up brought out tons of animosity from both fronts. I stayed out of it all. Heard about this board from some HP guys and came over.

If you don't know me, don't bro me. (tried to find the smile)

Yeah . . . if we cut our entire humanitarian aid budget we could buy one and a half more B2 bombers each year.

You missed my point. We help and the world still hates us. Oh and I would like more on defense spending. I am a realist that way.

Much of their hate is completely justified due to the destruction we have caused their country serving our own self-interest. The U.S. is not the benevolent humanitarian country you are portraying it to be.

Please name a country who has done more? Name a country who (if even for self interest) continually supports countries who are hostile towards us.

If we are so bad, what country would you prefer to live in that affords you more freedoms than the US.

Let's see, WWI, WWII, Gulf War 1, Afghanistan to topple Taliban, Tsunami relief, forgiving countries debt ie Mexico, US troops going after Koni, Aids relief for Africa (even though no strategic or economic value to our interests) Rebuild Japan, Germany, troops in South Korea, monies to Saudi Arabia etc etc etc

That's it? Oh my . . . :rollin

Let's build a new fleet of supercarriers. The future of our country is in jeopardy.

I remember when we were worried about nuclear annihilation . . . that seems almost quaint now that we have to worry about a starving guy with a pistol sneaking across the Mexican border.

But you want to increase governmental spending. Noted.

Kind of a political/world studies junkie. The threats are real. Whether you or others choose to believe this is your prerogative. Lots of open source stuff out there.

I am for spending for defense and cutting monies elsewhere. Not saying increase the defense budget, but I wouldn't cut it. I don't like the idea of being at war for the past 11 yrs and rifting guys out of the military who have known nothing but war their whole career or cutting Tri-Care in an attempt to pay for other programs. There is a lot more to the defense budget than beans and bullets.

For what it's worth, I believe defense is one of the primary functions of the federal governement. We need to stay technologically ahead of the game and it concerns me when projects keep getting cut because they are deemed too costly or the threat of the USSR is no longer there. We don't need to be pouring money into wars, but defense is one area where we can't be cutting back.

Please name a country who has done more? Name a country who (if even for self interest) continually supports countries who are hostile towards us.

If we are so bad, what country would you prefer to live in that affords you more freedoms than the US.

I'm not insinuating that we are any worse than other countries and I believe that we are better than many. My point is that it is unfair to criticize other countries when they have rational reasons to hate the U.S. Often times there is a reason that other countries are hostile towards us and a little humanitarian aid can't fix that.

For some, their liberal ties are stronger than blood. Apparently their race hasn't learned the lesson of what happens with an all powerful central government.
Let me get this straight. Not enough perceived support of Israel = all-powerful central government? Come on. We are nowhere near an all powerful central government and any arguments to that effect are solely for the purpose of alarmist spin. It is the exact same thing that less conscientious environmental groups do when they start proclaiming all these doomsday propositions. Hyperbole serves no use in real discussion. Also, why should the US support Israel's pre-emptive strike? (honest question). In general I think the US agenda in the middle east should be for long-term peace and stability, and whether that always aligns with Israel's own agenda doesn't really matter. Also, as I remember, there was nothing about not being welcomed by HuskerMax. It was more of a lot of HP members didn't want to go there.
Nothing inflames quite like framing a discussion in terms of a race war.

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier...it was date night. Don't get me wrong...I'm not an apologist for Israel. As a Christian I'm not sure I follow hook line and sinker the idea of supporting them because we worship the same God. On the other hand we have a bit more history of support from them than anyone else in the Mid East. I fail to see the intelligence in alienating Israel. We need to deal with them intelligently and watch them like a hawk....just as we do every country.

Nothing is more bitter than finding out you supported the wrong dogma and right now neither the Repubs nor the Dems have a claim to a doctrine that solves more problems than it creates.

Kind of a political/world studies junkie. The threats are real. Whether you or others choose to believe this is your prerogative. Lots of open source stuff out there.

I never said that we don't face threats. We do. That said, the threats that we face are much less dangerous to our future than the threats of the 60s-80s. That's not really debatable. Do we have more diffuse enemies? Sure. Do any of those enemies wield anything like the power of the USSR? Absolutely not.

So why are we spending far more on the defense budget today than we did in 1980?

Not saying increase the defense budget, but I wouldn't cut it.

Actually . . . you did say that we should increase the defense budget.

Oh and I would like more on defense spending.

That was quite a turnaround. 24 minutes between those posts.