President claims that no one built a business on their own

You know, I think we should make something clear because I may have been mistaken about this one.

"If you own a business...you didn't build that."

What's "that"? The business, as I've understood it to be so far, or "roads and bridges"?

I tried to explain here: http://www.huskerboa...post__p__973036

I did a poor job of it. I'll try again.

"That" doesn't refer to the business unless you rip the quote away from all context as the attack ads have done. Obama made a poor grammatical choice and said "that" instead of "those." That made it easy for the Romney campaign to base their entire ad war on a willful misrepresentation of Obama's statement.

:lol:

Now we are explaining away President Obama's collectivist philosophy as simply a bad choice of words; i.e., he said "that" when he meant "those." What he said was a complete, standalone sentence: "If you own a business...you didn't build that." I can understand why he doesn't have a clue about what it takes to build a business. He's never been involved in building one, and he wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. Evidence? Solyndra. But he's right about Solyndra, they couldn't have lasted long enough to spend $500,000,000 and go belly up without Government help.

i am pretty impressed for you to be speaking so knowledgeably on business. forgive me for assuming, but you must have built many, many businesses?

also, i do agree he should have worded it better, but i still agree with his sentiment. we all helped gm recover through a massive bailout. and in a rational nation we should be proud that we were able to come together to help save an american institution and american jobs; even though that is a great example of welfare and wealth redistribution.

This isn't about me and how many businesses I have "built." Besides the 1st Amendment allows me to voice opinions about anything I like - whether i know what I'm talking about or not. Just as the President does...

"derp" is a pretty commonly-used word around here. You see it all over HuskerBoard - heck, it's pretty common across the internet.

I have never heard of DailyKOS and wouldn't know what channel it's on. Sorry.

Oh, I know that derp is simply another way to say something or someone is stupid. Still, it's an unusual choice of words to use in this discussion.

You know, I think we should make something clear because I may have been mistaken about this one.

"If you own a business...you didn't build that."

What's "that"? The business, as I've understood it to be so far, or "roads and bridges"?

I tried to explain here: http://www.huskerboa...post__p__973036

I did a poor job of it. I'll try again.

"That" doesn't refer to the business unless you rip the quote away from all context as the attack ads have done. Obama made a poor grammatical choice and said "that" instead of "those." That made it easy for the Romney campaign to base their entire ad war on a willful misrepresentation of Obama's statement.

:lol:

Now we are explaining away President Obama's collectivist philosophy as simply a bad choice of words; i.e., he said "that" when he meant "those." What he said was a complete, standalone sentence: "If you own a business...you didn't build that." I can understand why he doesn't have a clue about what it takes to build a business. He's never been involved in building one, and he wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. Evidence? Solyndra. But he's right about Solyndra, they couldn't have lasted long enough to spend $500,000,000 and go belly up without Government help.

i am pretty impressed for you to be speaking so knowledgeably on business. forgive me for assuming, but you must have built many, many businesses?

also, i do agree he should have worded it better, but i still agree with his sentiment. we all helped gm recover through a massive bailout. and in a rational nation we should be proud that we were able to come together to help save an american institution and american jobs; even though that is a great example of welfare and wealth redistribution.

This isn't about many and how many businesses I have "built." Besides the 1st Amendment allows me to voice opinions about anything I like - whether i know what I'm talking about or not. Just as the President does...

um, your first amendment rights are not protected on a private message board, but good diversion. my point was, which you reiterated in disagreeing with me, is that you do not have to own or build a business to have some knowledge on the subject. but please, tell me then, what is it about?

"derp" is a pretty commonly-used word around here. You see it all over HuskerBoard - heck, it's pretty common across the internet.

Oh, I know that derp is simply another way to say something or someone is stupid. Still, t's an unusual choice of words to use in this discussion.

No, it isn't. It's very common. It's like saying "liberal" or "conservative" is an unusual choice of words. They're just words.

Oh, I know that derp is simply another way to say something or someone is stupid. Still, t's an unusual choice of words to use in this discussion.

language is fluid. and derp makes perfect sense to be used on the internet, it is a very popular meme theme. do not understand how dailykos got brought up.

I just wanna ask Knapp, how much Foxnews do you watch/Read?

Bits and pieces of what I can stomach. I've watched in the past, long ago, just like I used to listen to Rush long ago (think 1990s) but when they dove too far off the deep end I couldn't handle it any more. I used to be a registered Republican, volunteered in a campaign, the whole nine yards. Card-carrying Reagan Republican, right here. But as the party veered more and more to the right, I just couldn't go along with them.

I despised Bill Clinton as president, but even disliking him as much as I did I could not stand listening to Limbaugh whine on and on about every single thing Clinton said/did. There was plenty to criticize about Clinton, but it just got too much.

If you criticize Barack Obama, you are accused of regurgitating Fox News. Every one of the non-conservatives on here use that as their argument when they, in fact, sound like Daily KOS, MSNBC, and Huffington Post in defending the President.

If you criticize Barack Obama USING THE VERY WORDS AND PHRASES USED BY FOX NEWS, you are accused of regurgitating Fox News.

Funny how that works, huh?

You believe anyone who criticizes the President can't come up with reasons on their own? I can....and I have.

Of course I don't believe that. I'm simply pointing out - correctly, I might add - that the very same derp I hear coming from the mouths of Fox News "people" (they're not news anchors - what are they called?) I read here on HuskerBoard. And yet, the people who post it protest they didn't hear it from Fox, they came up with it on their own. Not believable.

Do you discern any difference between obvious opinion shows like Hannity, O’Reilly, Greta, etc. vs Fox News with Brett Baier? Since the roundtable is always populated with at least one counter-balance via Juan Williams or Kirsten Powers or Charles Lane or Maura Liasson?

language is fluid. and derp makes perfect sense to be used on the internet, it is a very popular meme theme. do not understand how dailykos got brought up.

I would have assumed you read DailyKOS every day, just as you assume I watch Fox. You spout the same derp.

I would have assumed you read DailyKOS every day, just as you assume I watch Fox. You spout the same derp.

i don't read dailykos, nor do i assume you watch fox. just because fox news is the best way to be misinformed, it is not the only way.

Do you discern any difference between obvious opinion shows like Hannity, O’Reilly, Greta, etc. vs Fox News with Brett Baier? Since the roundtable is always populated with at least one counter-balance via Juan Williams or Kirsten Powers or Charles Lane or Maura Liasson?

I've never watched even a moment of any of them, near as I can tell. I've watched literally five minutes of MSNBC in my life, and that was when Olbermann was on and I thought he would be cool because I liked him on SportsCenter (back when I still watched SC, which was also long, long ago). It didn't take very long for me to realize he had gone full-on into the world of derp and I turned it off. Derp is derp, whether it comes from the Right or Left.

I've never watched even a moment of any of them, near as I can tell. I've watched literally five minutes of MSNBC in my life, and that was when Olbermann was on and I thought he would be cool because I liked him on SportsCenter (back when I still watched SC, which was also long, long ago). It didn't take very long for me to realize he had gone full-on into the world of derp and I turned it off. Derp is derp, whether it comes from the Right or Left.

olbermann was known to herp-a-derp from time to time.

edit: i truly love the direction this thread took. an epic odyssey.

Yes, carly. I sell gaffes to the White House. They prefer used ones.

Gaffes? I thought that we were talking about totally real statements and not at all about manufactured outrage?

I'll take the name as a sign that you're done PMing complaints to Mods about being called "Yos." A grown man complaining about being called a shortened form of his name on the internet? That's hilarious. :lol: