President claims that no one built a business on their own

On 13 July, President Obama was in Roanoke, VA, where he said the following:

"If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

Well, for someone who has made it where he has because of affirmative action and white guilt, I can understand how this guy could believe that. But that's not the way things happen. If he had ever started up a business, he would know. Maybe he should ask his billionaire, tax-dodging friend Warren Buffett about that.

Then, the President doubles down by claiming that the internet was created by Government research so that "all the companies could make money off the Internet." Surely, his speechwriters are not that stupid. Or maybe they know that DARPA developed the ARPANet so that the DoD could share information and databases among its research labs, but assumed that the folks in Roanoke wouldn't know that. Plus, the truth wouldn't have fit into his theme of collectivism. Still, he was smart enough not to say that Al Gore invented the internet.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/13/remarks-president-campaign-event-roanoke-virginia

Well, for someone who has made it where he has because of affirmative action and white guilt, I can understand how this guy could believe that. But that's not the way things happen. If he had ever started up a business, he would know. Maybe he should ask his billionaire, tax-dodging friend Warren Buffett about that.

The problem with this country right now is not that we have ideological differences, it's that we not only allow ourselves to be led by the nose of those who would exaggerate those differences for their own gain, but we revel in it, and willingly, eagerly regurgitate it.

• Fire 2

The problem with this country right now is not that we have ideological differences, it's that we not only allow ourselves to be led by the nose of those who would exaggerate those differences for their own gain, but we revel in it, and willingly, eagerly regurgitate it.

The Democrats call those "talking points."

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together. (Applause.)

Well, he did say a bit more than simply "no one built a business on their own." Basically, he's saying saying that successful businessmen can thank those who educated them and built the infrastructure that made their businesses possible. Which I agree with. But I don't agree with his comment that "Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet." If the gov't had realized the potential of the Internet back in its infancy the gov't would've taken control, regulated it, and taxed it. And if the gov't controlled the Internet we would still be using 300 baud dial up modems. :lol:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together. (Applause.)

Well, he did say a bit more than simply "no one built a business on their own."

Shhhh. We've got an out of context quote to hype and you're interfering. :lol:

THE PRESIDENT: No, no, look -- I mean, we’re having a good, healthy, democratic debate. That’s how this works. And on their side, they’ve got a basic theory about how you grow the economy. And the theory is very simple: They think that the economy grows from the top down. So their basic theory is, if wealthy investors are doing well then everybody does well. So if we spend trillions of dollars on more tax cuts mostly for the wealthy, that that’s somehow going to create jobs, even if we have to pay for it by gutting education and gutting job-training programs and gutting transportation projects, and maybe even seeing middle-class folks have a higher tax burden.

What an obtuse fool. Yeah sure Obama, the private sector doesn't create jobs...government does. I love how Obama says that education, one of the most sacred liberal cows, will possibly be gutted to pay for "tax cuts for the wealthy." Standard liberal boilerplate garbage. Education spending overall has trended upwards for the past 30 years.

More tax cuts for those at the top.

More standard liberal boilerplate garbage: class warfare, envy, and resentment.

They’ve got the tax cuts for the high end, and they’ve got rollback regulation.Now, here’s the problem. You may have guessed -- we tried this. We tried this in the last decade and it did not work. But I just want to point out that we tried their theory for almost 10 years, and here’s what it got us: We got the slowest job growth in decades.

So I guess 8+ % unemployment has always been the case? Oh wait, that's just under your idiotic administration.

We got deficits as far as the eye can see. And it culminated in a crisis because there weren’t enough regulations on Wall Street and they could make reckless bets with other people’s money that resulted in this financial crisis, and you had to foot the bill.

Yes and your ridiculous bailout contributed to more debt in two years than Bush II had in 8. It's amazing that somehow Barck sees his party's as completely blameless for the current economic situation. It takes a special kind of fool to be such a dullard. We had to "foot the bill" because you and your party are complete imbeciles when it comes to sound economic fiscal policy.

And I had to stop reading there because it's just too much idiocy to handle.

• Fire 2

We had to "foot the bill" because you and your party are complete imbeciles when it comes to sound economic fiscal policy.

Uhhh . . . you do realize what resulted from GOP economic policy right?

I mean . . . that was only a few years ago. Surely you haven't forgotten already.

You might not want to freely throw around the imbecile accusations.

We had to "foot the bill" because you and your party are complete imbeciles when it comes to sound economic fiscal policy.

Could you back that up? Thanks.

Uhhh . . . you do realize what resulted from GOP economic policy right?

I mean . . . that was only a few years ago. Surely you haven't forgotten already.

You might not want to freely throw around the imbecile accusations.

1. Compared to Obama...I'm almost a rocket scientist. Take a look at rigorous state run economies: Cuba, North Korea, etc and what do you see? People are poor and starving. Well not those in government, they're remarkably well fed and wealthy. Government does not, has not, and will never create jobs and prosperity. Only the private sector can do that. And it while people like Obama spew their class warfare bullsh** the simple truth is that if people on the very bottom rung of our economic ladder hope to benefit then those at the top must also benefit. For example, I'm a billionaire investor and I want to invest in carlfense's widget company. Why would I invest in your company if I think I'm going to lose money? However, if I think I'll make money I'll invest. That will give you a company, you will hire people, they will pay taxes, and hopefully have discretionary spending money. Then the waitress makes more because more people have extra money to eat out. Then the waitress spends her extra money and it helps out others. Cutting taxes and regulations creates a positive upward economy while raising taxes and increasing regulations causes a depressed economy, high umemployment--which is exactly what we're seeing with the Obama administration.

2. The deficit. http://www.usgovernm...federal_deficit. Notice in the graph under deficit charts what the deficit was in 2007, the last year under Bush and what it has ballooned to since your "savior" and the rest of the liberal agenda took office.

e0hipt.png

Please note the deficit after 2008...but I'm "sure" the bailouts had nothing to do with it.

3. Republicans are not blameless. They are, in many respects, no better than Democrats when it comes to spending. And in terms of GOP policies, if we're taking about true Barry Goldwater type of GOP policies then those are the policies that work and help make a country prosperous. But if we're talking about the absurd neo-con psuedo "gop" policies then pardon me while I puke.

And in terms of GOP policies, if we're taking about true Barry Goldwater type of GOP policies then those are the policies that work and help make a country prosperous.

I take it you're more well-versed in current GOP politicians than I, so could you tell me if there are any GOP leaders, or major players, who adhere to such policies today? If there are, where are their proposals to fix this broken economy?

And in terms of GOP policies, if we're taking about true Barry Goldwater type of GOP policies then those are the policies that work and help make a country prosperous.

I take it you're more well-versed in current GOP politicians than I, so could you tell me if there are any GOP leaders, or major players, who adhere to such policies today? If there are, where are their proposals to fix this broken economy?

I honestly do not see any current GOP leaders who adhere to such policies. Please note that I am in no way up to speed on every single GOP person out there. But the major players that are currently involved--no I don't think any embrace or practice Goldwater style GOP economic policies. If they are out there, they're getting shouted down or ignored altogether.

I suppose Newt Gingrinch might be considered the closest although even he has had more than enough moments of liberal spending. I do hear a lot GOPers talk a good game while campaigning but mysteriously once they get into office it's business as usual.