President claims that no one built a business on their own

Facts don't matter, sd. This is an opportunity for unthinking and angry regurgitation of right-wing talking points and indulgence in the myth of the self made man. Pesky facts aren't going to get in the way of that!

it sure is simple to just believe that everyone on welfare is lazy and everyone who is rich are the hardest working people in america. but it is just simply not true. it all has to do with who your parents are, where you were born, what opportunities you were given, and your genetics (among many, many other factors sometimes in your control and sometimes completely out of your control).

it seems as if you just do not like him, which is fine. but you are being extremely nit-picky, if not completely convoluted. i do not see any condescension, you are reading way to much into a nice sentiment how we should be more grateful for all of the benefits and opportunities we enjoy from this great nation. . what does 'just so smart' mean?

also, his point was to highlight how success is a collaborative effort. it is obvious that the entrepreneur is given credit; after all, they are the ones who are enjoying their successes.

To the contrary, it seems like you like the dude. This board starts a thread, that had a ton of posts, when someone mispells America in a Romney ad and then wants to look the other way as the Great Emperor again tests the waters of class warefare. Something is wrong with that. What else would you expect of a Kenyan that has held government positions his entire life?

Live off the govmint.....the new Amercian Dream.

In the context to bring it closer to home, the 95 Huskers do not deserve any of the accolades. It should go to the grounds keepers of Memorial stadium, the refs who had some calls go our way. The AD for scheduling the teams we throttled. The vendors, the TV crews who showed the games, the men who originally built the stadium so that we could have a team etc...... It has little to do with the actual players. Little to do with TO, McBride etc...You know, other teams had guys who "worked hard" or were "smart". We should be embarrassed by the success, the hard work, the perseverance and give the trophies back.

It's bizarre being a moderate. I spent most of the latter half of the Bush presidency (the most recent one) debunking the idiocy coming from left-wingers who hated Bush and everything he stood for, everything he said, even the way he said it, because their issues were most often spurious and disingenuous.

Fast-forward a couple of years, and rather than learn from the mistakes of the people across the ideological aisle, now we have right-wingers going off the deep end at every speech, every statement, every inflection.... it just gets tedious. You'd think after six-ish years of Bush-bashing those on the right would get the point that this stuff is all nonsense, but they don't. They just do the same thing the other guys did during the last presidency. Two wrongs making a right, I guess.

• Fire 2

The first point is Obama is outspending Bush. Plain and simple.

If the chart that you posted is correct your claim is incorrect. The highest deficit appears to be 2009 . . . and as I've noted (and you've ignored) you might be surprised at who signed the 2009 budget.

Here's a hint . . . it doesn't bode well for your claim.

That said, don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

<snip> . . . wants to look the other way as the Great Emperor again tests the waters of class warefare. Something is wrong with that. What else would you expect of a Kenyan that has held government positions his entire life?

Sometimes I wonder if people realize how ignorant this sort of statement makes them sound. I mean sure . . . if you make them around your Tea Party pals everyone will have a good chuckle . . . but . . . wow.

In the context to bring it closer to home, the 95 Huskers do not deserve any of the accolades. It should go to the grounds keepers of Memorial stadium, the refs who had some calls go our way. The AD for scheduling the teams we throttled. The vendors, the TV crews who showed the games, the men who originally built the stadium so that we could have a team etc...... It has little to do with the actual players. Little to do with TO, McBride etc...You know, other teams had guys who "worked hard" or were "smart". We should be embarrassed by the success, the hard work, the perseverance and give the trophies back.

I think that the Huskers should spread some of their good fortune around. One MNC should be enough for anyone. Give one to Grambling, one to Slippery Rock, one to McNeese State, and one to Iowa School for the Deaf.

It's bizarre being a moderate. I spent most of the latter half of the Bush presidency (the most recent one) debunking the idiocy coming from left-wingers who hated Bush and everything he stood for, everything he said, even the way he said it, because their issues were most often spurious and disingenuous.

Fast-forward a couple of years, and rather than learn from the mistakes of the people across the ideological aisle, now we have right-wingers going off the deep end at every speech, every statement, every inflection.... it just gets tedious. You'd think after six-ish years of Bush-bashing those on the right would get the point that this stuff is all nonsense, but they don't. They just do the same thing the other guys did during the last presidency. Two wrongs making a right, I guess.

hey! you said this better than I did. Props.

<snip> . . . wants to look the other way as the Great Emperor again tests the waters of class warefare. Something is wrong with that. What else would you expect of a Kenyan that has held government positions his entire life?

Sometimes I wonder if people realize how ignorant this sort of statement makes them sound. I mean sure . . . if you make them around your Tea Party pals everyone will have a good chuckle . . . but . . . wow.

I'll bite. What happens if you delete the "Kenyan" reference and are simply left with the claim that Obama engages in class warfare and has held government positions or been on the public dole for most of his life? Does that still seem ignorant to you? Sometimes maybe it is best to ignore the inflammatory cheap shots and see if a valid point still remains. I wonder if people realize how trivial this sort of approach makes them seem. I mean sure, if you do it around your Obama defending buddies everyone will understand but...out in the real world.....

I'll bite. What happens if you delete the "Kenyan" reference and are simply left with the claim that Obama engages in class warfare and has held government positions or been on the public dole for most of his life? Does that still seem ignorant to you? Sometimes maybe it is best to ignore the inflammatory cheap shots and see if a valid point still remains. I wonder if people realize how trivial this sort of approach makes them seem. I mean sure, if you do it around your Obama defending buddies everyone will understand but...out in the real world.....

So if you remove Kenyan . . . and change the wording of the rest . . . you would expect a different result? I would too.

"Class warfare" seems like a bit of a stretch but I can see the argument.

"Most of life" is probably closer to true than "entire life."

"Public dole" is false.

But, yes. If you change the whole statement I'll have a different reaction to it.

The first point is Obama is outspending Bush. Plain and simple.

If the chart that you posted is correct your claim is incorrect. The highest deficit appears to be 2009 . . . and as I've noted (and you've ignored) you might be surprised at who signed the 2009 budget.

Here's a hint . . . it doesn't bode well for your claim.

That said, don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

Carlfense,

I will stay away from the sophomoric quips such as here's a hint.......... or (and you've ignored) and simply say that the chart was not posted by me that you are referring to (posted by Skersrule) I stated that Obama is currently creating a larger deficit than Bush.

The article I referenced is here. It comes from the "conservative" NPR. It is a surprisingly fair analysis of the two President's and their respective spending.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/25/133211508/the-weekly-standard-obama-vs-bush-on-debt

Again, I do not mind discussing politics, but the "cute" remarks are not needed. They ad nothing to the discussion at hand. Thanks

Could you back up the "most of his life" claim? It seems like more right-wing mythology to me. Prior to entering politics, he taught for a private university (University of Chicago), worked for a private law firm as a civil rights attorney, and worked for a few non-profits with a focus on various civil rights missions. He assumed his first elected office 15 years ago as a part time legislator (like most states, Illinois doesn't have a full time legislature) while also working as an attorney and as a lecturer at University of Chicago Law School. He's held full time office only since being elected to the United States Senate in 2004. Even if you count his part time duty as an Illinois state senator, his time as a public servant doesn't even total most of his adult life, let alone most of his life.

Considering the veracity of your claim, I'll let you guess how I'd answer your question (bolded above).

Carlfense,

I will stay away from the sophomoric quips such as here's a hint..........

Good point. I apologize.

simply say that the chart was not posted by me that you are referring to (posted by Skersrule) I stated that Obama is currently creating a larger deficit than Bush.

That's easy for Bush to do when he was handed a budget surplus and turned it into a massive deficit. Obama was handed a government running at a massive deficit and you are trying to blame him for that deficit when it's largely the result of 30 year low revenue.

You can look to SkersRules chart (I really shouldn't post from my phone) to see the peak.

The article I referenced is here. It comes from the "conservative" NPR. It is a surprisingly fair analysis of the two President's and their respective spending.

http://www.npr.org/2...vs-bush-on-debt

That's kind of funny. You might think that it's surprisingly fair . . . but that might be because it's from the Weekly Standard . . . and not from the "conservative" NPR.

That's from a professed "Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog." That might be why you think that it's "fair." It happens to line up with your beliefs.

Again, I do not mind discussing politics, but the "cute" remarks are not needed.

True.