President claims that no one built a business on their own

also, the subtext would be that we all helped those who are successful. i know i have received a lot of help to get me where i am (supportive family, good education, good communities), but now i am in a position to help others succeed and as such i have a responsibility to do so.

Oh, most definitely.

For those who think that Bush was the reason for our current woes and Obama is simply cleaning up the mess, here you go. A rather long read, but worth it.

http://www.npr.org/2...vs-bush-on-debt

You're moving on to your next talking point without acknowledging that you were trying to blame Obama for George W. Bush's 2008 and 2009 deficits? :lol:

Perhaps the banking industry needed to be shored up, but IIRC it was Clinton in 1997 who signed into law a program to forcing banks to give high risk loans that initiated the housing collapse.

No offense . . . but that's simply not true. The subprime originator's made money hand over fist and immediately bundled and resold the securities. It had nothing to do with being ordered to give high risk loans and everything to do with reckless greed.

Let's rehash: Obama is responsible for our current economic situation. He shouldn't try to blame Bush. Also, the 8 years of W. never actually happened and it's all Clinton's fault. eyeswear2allthatsholy

One thing that kills me is if you bought a house in the past 7 yrs, you are underwater. Where is my mortgage assistance? Where is cash for my dependable car?

I trust that you're just trying to make a point and aren't actually calling for the government to bail you out . . . because that would look a bit hypocritical.

I can't quote each line, but here you go.

The first point is Obama is outspending Bush. Plain and simple.

Actually banks were required to carry a certain percentage if high risk loans. Giving loans when the accepted practices required said not to. Spec investors also caused the balloon to bust as did substantial amounts of mortgage fraud.

I don't expect a bailout from the gov't. Making a point. I pay my mortgage upside down or not. I bought a car I could afford so I missed out there. Again, the current govt rewarding those who make bad decisions and not holding them accountable.

Not blaming Clinton at all. he was the recipient of 12 yrs of Republican control govt. he also did some good things regarding fiscal responsibility. Simply stating that he signed into law a requirement making banks give loans they knew they shouldn't. I will leave the blame the previous guy to Obama. he does it well enough.

As the son of a small business owner I find these comments disgusting. The purpose of this retoric is to divide this country. Drive a wedge between those that believe they are owed something versus those that go out and make it happen. My father is successful because of his skills and hard work.

your father should be very proud of his accomplishments, but i would be surprised if he thought that no one along the way helped him get to where he is right now. if you are successful, i am sure you will owe a lot to your father, among others, and the benefits of his successes.

Here is another open ended question. I wonder where exactly Obama was going with his statement on how nobody built a business on their own, and they had help. Really, where was he going. I'm struggling to understand. Is the media take on this unfair? out of context? If so, how?

His point was about how we all are in it together. Someone who built his own business had the assistance of government provided utilities, roads, bridges, national security, etc.

The larger context was this:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

It's awkwardly phrased but the point isn't that you didn't build your business . . . it's that you didn't build your business alone. The "that" in the "you didn't build that" doesn't refer to your business . . . but rather to the American environment that assisted you in building that business.

As usual, the other side likes to blow things out of proportion.

Yes, to look at it that way brings attention to things that are taken for granted. However, my problem isn't so much what was said, but how it was said (in as much as I can glean "how" it was said from reading the text). As far as I can see, he gave credit to everyone EXCEPT the entrepreneur. Credit is given to teachers, construction workers, inventors of the internet, etc. but not even a "Good job" to the person (or people) with the most direct involvement. In fact, he goes out of his way to say "you didn't build that. Somebody else MADE that happen" [emphasis added]. What does that mean? They just kept showing up for work and one day everything came up roses? It's the condescending tone against people who are "just so smart" that grates on me and, to me, goes against people American Spirit of innovation.

Here is another open ended question. I wonder where exactly Obama was going with his statement on how nobody built a business on their own, and they had help. Really, where was he going. I'm struggling to understand. Is the media take on this unfair? out of context? If so, how?

His point was about how we all are in it together. Someone who built his own business had the assistance of government provided utilities, roads, bridges, national security, etc.

The larger context was this:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

It's awkwardly phrased but the point isn't that you didn't build your business . . . it's that you didn't build your business alone. The "that" in the "you didn't build that" doesn't refer to your business . . . but rather to the American environment that assisted you in building that business.

As usual, the other side likes to blow things out of proportion.

Yes, to look at it that way brings attention to things that are taken for granted. However, my problem isn't so much what was said, but how it was said (in as much as I can glean "how" it was said from reading the text). As far as I can see, he gave credit to everyone EXCEPT the entrepreneur. Credit is given to teachers, construction workers, inventors of the internet, etc. but not even a "Good job" to the person (or people) with the most direct involvement. In fact, he goes out of his way to say "you didn't build that. Somebody else MADE that happen" [emphasis added]. What does that mean? They just kept showing up for work and one day everything came up roses? It's the condescending tone against people who are "just so smart" that grates on me and, to me, goes against people American Spirit of innovation.

it seems as if you just do not like him, which is fine. but you are being extremely nit-picky, if not completely convoluted. i do not see any condescension, you are reading way to much into a nice sentiment how we should be more grateful for all of the benefits and opportunities we enjoy from this great nation. . what does 'just so smart' mean?

also, his point was to highlight how success is a collaborative effort. it is obvious that the entrepreneur is given credit; after all, they are the ones who are enjoying their successes.

• Fire 1

it seems as if you just do not like him, which is fine. but you are being extremely nit-picky, if not completely convoluted. i do not see any condescension, you are reading way to much into a nice sentiment how we should be more grateful for all of the benefits and opportunities we enjoy from this great nation. . what does 'just so smart' mean?

Why was there not even a "there have been great business leaders in this country, but they've also gotten help along the way" or something to that effect? I don't think it's being nit-picky to point out that he congratulated everyone but the ones most directly involved.

Regarding the bold, that was a quote from the same speech so you'll have to ask him what that means.

also, his point was to highlight how success is a collaborative effort. it is obvious that the entrepreneur is given credit; after all, they are the ones who are enjoying their successes.

Where is it obvious that the entrepreneur is given credit? He goes out of his way to say someone else made it happen?

It's the condescending tone against people who are "just so smart" that grates on me and, to me, goes against people American Spirit of innovation.

i guess i meant, what does the bold part mean?

we are going to have to disagree, but the point of his speech was to convey how many people are involved in any given person's successes. i suppose anyone can find something to criticize about everything.

It's the condescending tone against people who are "just so smart" that grates on me and, to me, goes against people American Spirit of innovation.

we are going to have to disagree, but the point of his speech was to convey how many people are involved in any given person's successes. i suppose anyone can find something to criticize about everything.

My point, for the third time, is that he failed to give any credit to the actual innovators, entrepreneurs, etc.

Obviously we will. I've asked repeatedly to point me to somewhere in the entire speech where he gives any credit to those most directly responsible. Apparently you want to disagree based on what you think he should have said, and you are free to do that.

My point, for the third time, is that he failed to give any credit to the actual innovators, entrepreneurs, etc.

Obviously we will. I've asked repeatedly to point me to somewhere in the entire speech where he gives any credit to those most directly responsible. Apparently you want to disagree based on what you think he should have said, and you are free to do that.

you want to disagree about what he should have said. i am trying to explain what he did say and surmise why he said it.

oh, and he did say this, "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

(http://www.opposingv...ch-conservative)

"Without the context, Obama’s point that individual effort is bolstered by community systems is completely lost. The idea is nothing new; Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

that went viral in September of last year. Indeed, far from denigrating small business owners, Obama has cut taxes on small businesses 17 times."

(http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/07/16/525181/conservatives-selectively-edit-obamas-speech-to-claim-he-hates-small-businesses/)

• Fire 1