President claims that no one built a business on their own

What both Elizabeth Warren and Barack Obama are suggesting is that you do not deserve to keep your money. The Government wants more and you will fork it over if they get their way since the Government made it possible for you to succeed. If Mitt Romney had suggested taking medals from winners and giving them to losers (what the President wants to do with tax dollars), then comparing his statement to what Obama and Warren said would be a little more valid.

• Fire 1

I hope that Mitt Romney advocates no taxes, because otherwise he is in the same camp of wanting you to fork it over.

If it's a matter of difference in beliefs as to what and where the taxes should be, it's a little more nuanced for such rhetoric, no?

What both Elizabeth Warren and Barack Obama are suggesting is that you do not deserve to keep your money. The Government wants more and you will fork it over if they get their way since the Government made it possible for you to succeed. If Mitt Romney had suggested taking medals from winners and giving them to losers (what the President wants to do with tax dollars), then comparing his statement to what Obama and Warren said would be a little more valid.

what?

edit: warren specifically says you deserve a big chunk of that money, but you owe a certain amount back to help others succeed and pay back what you have used to get where you are.

I hope that Mitt Romney advocates no taxes, because otherwise he is in the same camp of wanting you to fork it over.

If it's a matter of difference in beliefs as to what and where the taxes should be, it's a little more nuanced for such rhetoric, no?

Excellent point. Romney advocates increasing taxes on the poor. Obama advocates increasing taxes on the rich.

Both want to increase taxes. The disagreement is over who should bear that burden.

Excellent point. Romney advocates increasing taxes on the poor. Obama advocates increasing taxes on the rich.

Both want to increase taxes. The disagreement is over who should bear that burden.

i think this demonstrates how messed up the system is. does not a person think that the rich are self-serving in trying to convince americans that they should not pay any taxes? they spend more on lobbying than they do on taxes. what does that tell you about their interests and influence?

30 Major U.S. Companies Spent More on Lobbying than Taxes

what?

edit: warren specifically says you deserve a big chunk of that money, but you owe a certain amount back to help others succeed and pay back what you have used to get where you are.

What you said is hilarious: "you deserve a big chunk of that money." Really, I actually deserve a big chunk of the money that I earned? But some freeloading failure I do not know deserves a chunk of it too?

What you said is hilarious: "you deserve a big chunk of that money." Really, I actually deserve a big chunk of the money that I earned? But some freeloading failure I do not know deserves a chunk of it too?

Come on . . . it's a little harsh to refer to yourself as a freeloading failure for not wanting to pay for the roads that you drive on, the police and military who protect you, the utilities delivered to your home, etc.

A little lacking in self-awareness maybe . . . but I don't think that it rises to the level of freeloading failure.

• Fire 1

Come on . . . it's a little harsh to refer to yourself as a freeloading failure for not wanting to pay for the roads that you drive on, the police and military who protect you, the utilities delivered to your home, etc.

A little lacking in self-awareness maybe . . . but I don't think that it rises to the level of freeloading failure.

i think the fundamental problem is that people really believe their is this huge class of welfare queens. there is not. and taxes go to so many things, only a minute amount to welfare. not too mention, technically we all have benefited from welfare if we have ever gone to a public school. a lot of our taxes do go to welfare queens, in the form of subsidies to corporations and the oil industry (even when they are making record profits).

I would be interested in knowing what costs the American taxpayer more - the welfare system or the lost revenue from the trillions of dollars kept in offshore accounts by people like Mitt Romney.

That's a good question. I think we'd first have to agree on what constitutes "welfare." If we can do that . . . then we can start comparing that number to the estimates of assets and cash shielded from taxation in offshore accounts.

How Much Do We Spend on the Nonworking Poor?

It comes to about $235 billion, the bulk of which is SNAP (formerly food stamps) and about one-third of Medicaid. That's 12 percent of all federal welfare spending and about 6 percent of the whole federal budget. Once you account for the fact that some of these program dollars go to the working poor, you end up with CBPP's estimate of 10 percent, or about 5 percent of the whole federal budget.

Is that too much? I guess you have to decide for yourself. But I'll bet most people think we spend a lot more than 5 percent of the federal budget on this stuff. They might be surprised to know the real numbers. The CBPP's chart is below, with spending on the nonworking poor highlighted.

blog_spending_nonworking_poor.jpg

what?

it is odd how no one complains about taxes going to our enormous military. it is ok that a chunk of our money goes to bomb some civilian somewhere you do not even know, but heavens forbid it goes to maybe help someone just enough to survive. like a child who did not choose to be born, yet has parents who can not afford necessary healthcare.

it is odd how no one complains about taxes going to our enormous military. it is ok that a chunk of our money goes to bomb some civilian somewhere you do not even know, but heavens forbid it goes to maybe help someone just enough to survive. like a child who did not choose to be born, yet has parents who can not afford necessary healthcare.

What's even more odd is that the people most likely to complain about money going to healthcare and welfare are Republican, and so many Republicans self-identify as Christian, AND the most Republican Republicans out there are the Tea-Partiers who are overwhelmingly Christian...

... and do you know which of those two Christ would rather have them do? (here's a hint - it's not buying bombs)

The dichotomy of that group is very interesting. I have a buddy who's been attending Romney campaign functions and posting all about it on Facebook. Owns his own business (medical field) and he's dead-set on getting ANNO elected (Anyone Not Named Obama). He's also staunchly Christian, and when I bring this up to him, he splutters and says "well... yeah..." and has no answer for why he advocates so strongly taking money away from welfare, and so strongly against Obamacare, yet he's a staunch Christian. No answer at all.