Defense

They did hit Everidge hard a whole lot of times, I'll bet he had a hard time getting out of bed on Sunday morning. One question though, why, oh why did Cosgrove have our defensive ends pinch down to the middle on almost every play. That's why Everidge was able to get to the outside and pick up big yards on those QB keepers. I don't understand that.

They did hit Everidge hard a whole lot of times, I'll bet he had a hard time getting out of bed on Sunday morning. One question though, why, oh why did Cosgrove have our defensive ends pinch down to the middle on almost every play. That's why Everidge was able to get to the outside and pick up big yards on those QB keepers. I don't understand that.

The idea, I believe, is so the DE takes up as many bloackers as possible. two maybe three, which should, in theory, free up LB's to make the tackle. Tidieke, FS, missed a half dozen of them.

What has happened to our Safeties? From the sounds of it, both of them have forgotten how to tackle.

From what I understand, they more-so go for the strip and not the tackle. THis has given up a few big plays this season. Hopefully they remedy the tackling situation before CU.

it seems the past few years, the not wrapping up strategy has really hurt the huskers especially against colorado. i can remember seeing so many plays against them where they would just break through a wimpy tackle and score a td... that can not happen this game. they need a real strong effort from the defense, and i really hope they show up

I completely agree with Eric the Red's theory on DE play to free up our backers so they can make plays, but Ickes and Ruud are not nearly fast enough to stop the athletic QB's that have been torching us. The theory is great, but it's pretty apparent how much the loss of Bradley and Octavien hurts this defense.

I completely agree with Eric the Red's theory on DE play to free up our backers so they can make plays, but Ickes and Ruud are not nearly fast enough to stop the athletic QB's that have been torching us. The theory is great, but it's pretty apparent how much the loss of Bradley and Octavien hurts this defense.

Right on and Cosgrove should realize this and play straight up. The more I watch our Defense the more pissed I get at him.

Did anyone see the Coach Callahan show this weekend? He (in a sort of pissed off way) mentioned the going for the strip instead of just tackling. He did not seem happy about it either.

Well damn, he shouldn't be happy. I hope he carries that to the next practice session and let's the players be aware of it also.

Our D cannot be skimpy in Boulder.

Blackshirts step up under pressure of shaky start

By JOE BONGE

November 15, 2005

The Nebraska defense accomplished something Saturday that hadn’t happened since NU defeated Iowa State on Oct. 1.

They didn’t give up a touchdown on the opening drive of the game.

This time, the Blackshirts forced Kansas State to punt twice and recovered a KSU fumble before the Wildcats jumped to a 6-0 first-quarter lead.

But the Nebraska defense again fought a shaky start to come up big down the stretch. The Blackshirts allowed 351 yards of total offense to the Wildcats, but held them to a field goal late in the game to keep the score close.

Nebraska’s first-half woes continued as it allowed 134 rushing yards in the first quarter. The Wildcats jumped to a 6-0 lead, and it looked like the Blackshirts were destined to give up another big first half.

“There was a lot of adversity in the game,” NU Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. “I’m just so proud of the way our kids handled it. They just really competed.”

The Blackshirts held KSU to zero yards passing in the first half, as Nebraska built up a 24-12 lead midway through the third quarter.

But it was the Blackshirts’ defensive prowess in the fourth quarter that allowed Nebraska to stay in position to win the game.

NU held Kansas State to three straight punts to start the fourth quarter. Then, with their backs against the wall, the Blackshirts made their biggest stand of the day.

After NU quarterback Zac Taylor went down with a concussion on the first drive of the fourth quarter, Coach Bill Callahan opted to put in freshman Harrison Beck.

With fewer than six minutes left, Kansas State defensive back Bryan Baldwin picked off a Beck pass and returned it 36 yards to the NU 9-yard line with Nebraska up 24-22.

On first and goal, NU linebacker Corey McKeon tackled Kansas State running back Thomas Clayton for a loss of five yards.

It looked like the Blackshirts gave it away when a pass interference penalty was called on second and goal. However, the play was overturned after being reviewed because McKeon was able to get his hand on the pass before the penalty occurred.

Evridge rushed for five yards on third and goal as the Blackshirts held KSU to a field goal to go up 25-24 with 4:18 remaining.

Cosgrove said his defense was ready for the challenge.

“That’s what our job is,” Cosgrove said. “It doesn’t matter what happens. It’s what we do. We have to do our job.”

Beck then led NU on a seven-play, 55-yard drive that ended on a 40-yard Jordan Congdon field goal to put the Huskers up 27-25 with 1:05 left.

The NU defense then stopped KSU on its final drive of the game to seal the Nebraska win.

“It’s a pride thing,” NU defensive back Blake Tiedtke said. “When they get the ball inside the 20, we want to hold them to a field goal.”

Evridge rushed 30 times for 138 yards and two touchdowns against the Blackshirts, but was just 6 of 30 for 103 yards and one interception.

NU linebacker Bo Ruud led the way for Nebraska with 15 tackles as the Blackshirts fended off a stingy Wildcat offense when it counted most.

“We knew we had to step it up,” McKeon said. “In any situation like that when the game is close and one of your key players goes down, defense just needs to step it up. And we did.”