#4 Preseason

http://journalstar.c...264f4e1fee.html

The Nebraska volleyball team will begin the season ranked No. 4 in the AVCA coaches’ poll.

The preseason poll was released on Monday afternoon. Nebraska’s tradition probably helped its ranking, but also the Huskers’ six returning starters, which include first-team All-American Gina Mancuso, All-Big Ten outside hitter Hannah Werth and senior setter Lauren Cook.

Four in the Top 10 for the B1G..not too shabby to start.

I think we're under-ranked. This could potentially be a very special Husker team.

I agree it could be special.

And there is a ton of returning talent.....

And could potentially win it ALL..........

But I think the ranking is fair based on the way things tanked at the end of last year.

watch out for UH! we are ranked..8th.. .will win most of our games.. maybe lose one... be ranked in the top 3-5 and then get blitzed in our first match in the tournament..... ever year same sh#t...... our team stay kinda ugly this year though.. but da people will still come out...... they always do... kinda sad girls VB often gets more love than the football team... 7,8,9 10 thousand per game is awesome and something that makes UH unique!!

wahine+volleyball.png

7,8,9 10 thousand per game is awesome and something that makes UH unique!!

Not for long. When the Bob is remodeled next year Nebraska will start taking over the attendance records.

no chance in hell that will ever happen...... UH girls volleyball is like Husker football to our fans..... and i doubt you will pull 9 thousand per game for stamford university or some lame school.... i love nebraska football but nebraska volleyball can lick rim over my rainbow wahine...

Not for long. When the Bob is remodeled next year Nebraska will start taking over the attendance records.

no chance in hell that will ever happen...... UH girls volleyball is like Husker football to our fans..... and i doubt you will pull 9 thousand per game for stamford university or some lame school.... i love nebraska football but nebraska volleyball can lick rim over my rainbow wahine...

You sir, need a Time Out!!!

You don't have to believe me. We'll show you.

It will be interesting next year. Because Nebraska should continue to sell out after the move, if the predictions of the athletic department are right, and the capacity should end up at a tic under 7K, I think is the estimate. That would likely Nebraska over Hawaii on average attendance if Hawaii averages about what they have the last five years. If Hawaii can get back to over a 7K average that they have had previously, from like '02 to '06, then Hawaii would likely still remain at the top of the average. Nebraska will have a tough time hitting the total attendance mark because of the # of games Hawaii has. Last year they had 23, this year it looks like they're slated for 19. Nebraska had 16 last year, we're slated for 15 at the Coliseum this year, though I'm not sure whether the annual game that's been rotating between the BOB and Qwest/Clink is counted in those totals or not. If it is, that will give us a boost. Regardless, will be interesting and nice for Husker fans to see those numbers become a great deal more competitive next year. Will also be interesting to see the WAC take a tumble in attendance rankings, and the Big Sky all of a sudden shoot up because of their move to the Big Sky this year. Will really skew the conference attendance numbers.

For those interested, the numbers for last season and records for past years are found here:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_volleyball_RB/2012/Attendance.pdf

A couple other interesting tidbits about those numbers for attendance:

1. The top 6 single match numbers come from the '05 regional semis and final, '06 final four semis and final, and '08 final four semis and final that were held at Qwest/CLink. (The semis together were evidently sold as one session, I believe, and so the semis each show up with the same total, though you could actually say the top nine numbers come from those matches, with those double-ups.)

2. UNK has been a perennial contender for top attendance marks in DII, and has many of the top single match attendance records as well.