Cook not happy with new NCAA rule on substitutions

Cook not happy with new NCAA rule on substitutions

John Cook has never been afraid to speak his mind.

The Nebraska volleyball coach did it last week at the team’s annual media day.

Cook’s concern is about a new NCAA rule allowing 15 substitutions per set. That’s up from the 12 per set rule that had been in effect.

“I want to apologize now to the Husker Nation for that, because I think it’s a rule change that will impact the game greatly in a negative way,” Cook said. “We have such great fans here and get such great TV coverage...but this rule change to 15 subs is going to drag the game out.”

Cook pointed out that potentially there could be 30 subs per set between the two teams along with a total of four timeouts. He thinks that will slow the momentum of the game down and take away from the speed and excitement of rally scoring.

Gotta love the picture that came with the article. Vintage Cooker:

cookupset.jpg

The NCAA has really dumbed this game down over the last decade. Multiple contacts on hard-driven balls, really loose rules on lifts/carries, the Libero position, rally scoring and tinkering with sub rules have really changed the game. Some changes I like, but some make it far less a game of skill and far more luck and chance.

The NCAA has really dumbed this game down over the last decade. Multiple contacts on hard-driven balls, really loose rules on lifts/carries, the Libero position, rally scoring and tinkering with sub rules have really changed the game. Some changes I like, but some make it far less a game of skill and far more luck and chance.

Do you like the new rule change?

I wasn't sure I really liked rally scoring when in first came in for one major reason - if you get down by 4 or 5 points late, you're pretty much done. Under the old system, you could make a mistake or two and still have a chance to come back. I guess it's grown on my somewhat, though.

I'm curious if anyone has any idea how many substitutions are used in an average set. Do a lot of teams use up their 12 or is it usually closer to 8-9?

In international play you get six subs. That means your players have to have all-around skills. With this rule you don't ever have to teach your middle blockers to play back-court defense, or even how to pass. They become even more specialized. Cook talked about Jenny Krop, middle blocker on the 2000 National Championship Team, who used to play back row effectively.

Cook also warned that we'll see games drag out when a team is losing and wants to break the opponent's rhythm, towards the end of the game you'll see a ton of subs thrown in as a delaying tactic. With four combined time outs and 30 combined substitutions, games could last far longer. Instead of a 2 1/2 hour five-set match, you could be looking at 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

It dumbs down the game and it lengthens the game - both unnecessarily. It's a stupid rule.

I'm not arguing for the rule change, just trying to understand the argument:

If I understand correctly, the only change is adding three more subs per set. That would be six subs combined at maybe 30 seconds per (at the most). So three minutes per set or 15 minutes for a five set game, isn't that right.

Again, not that I'm a fan of more substitutions but I guess I don't see it adding a lot of time to matches.