Middle class share of America's income shrinking

But, close to half of Americans don't pay any federal income tax.

http://www.washingto...olBuI_blog.html

Which isn't the same as not paying any taxes. If earning income they likely pay payroll taxes even if they don't earn enough income to be taxed.

(Fun fact, someone like Romney pays the exact same tax rate on each dollar of comparable earned income as those dastardly tax evading poor people. Damn those marginal rates and their favoring the poor! :P)

• Fire 1

This is probably a better representation of all taxes people are subject to - that's the taxes they could pay, whether they pay them or not is another story, because there are disproportional amounts of tax shelters available to the upper income brackets.

Note: This article was linked in the Washington Post BigRedBuster posted above:

LINK

Which isn't the same as not paying any taxes. If earning income they likely pay payroll taxes even if they don't earn enough income to be taxed.

(Fun fact, someone like Romney pays the exact same tax rate on each dollar of comparable earned income as those dastardly tax evading poor people. Damn those marginal rates and their favoring the poor! :P)

Never said it was. That's part of the reason why I posted the other article above. But, my article also shows that the top 1% isn't paying a HUGE amount less in taxes than the middle class.

Never said it was. That's part of the reason why I posted the other article above. But, my article also shows that the top 1% isn't paying a HUGE amount less in taxes than the middle class.

You didn't say it but it's certainly implied in the "We are the 53%" movement and the claims that only half of the country pays taxes which then are given to the other half.

Regarding the 1%, some are paying a much lower percentage. We should fix that.

• Fire 1

The rich clearly don't always pay that much - Romney showed that he was taxed at 14% in what, 2010? Even one year's worth of savings like that could mean worlds to the middle-class American struggling to keep things together, but the problem is - and this is the issue I keep harping on, and will keep harping on - is that Romney, Obama and the other millionaires have access to tax shelters that middle-class America doesn't. And that's not right - that's why people are up in arms. It's the uneven playing field.

Why do you ignor the fact that the rich are paying basically the same amount of total taxes as a percentage than the middle class and only concentrate on income tax? But, then when I make a comment about lower income people you point out that they are paying taxes such as pay roll taxes?

What? "Basically the same" is quite a hedge. Especially when we have prominent examples like Romney that are far from "basically the same."

Would you like to address the payroll taxes of the 1%? It'll look even worse for the richest 1% . . . probably one of the more regressive taxes in the US.

• Fire 1

Why do you ignor the fact that the rich are paying basically the same amount of total taxes as a percentage than the middle class and only concentrate on income tax? But, then when I make a comment about lower income people you point out that they are paying taxes such as pay roll taxes?

What? "Basically the same" is quite a hedge. Especially when we have prominent examples like Romney that are far from "basically the same."

Would you like to address the payroll taxes of the 1%? It'll look even worse for the richest 1% . . . probably one of the more regressive taxes in the US.

You are just looking at income tax. That is my point.

Actually, if you look at the graph linked to, when looking at the entire tax burden, the top 10% is paying MORE as a percentage than anyone else.

The rich clearly don't always pay that much - Romney showed that he was taxed at 14% in what, 2010? Even one year's worth of savings like that could mean worlds to the middle-class American struggling to keep things together, but the problem is - and this is the issue I keep harping on, and will keep harping on - is that Romney, Obama and the other millionaires have access to tax shelters that middle-class America doesn't. And that's not right - that's why people are up in arms. It's the uneven playing field.

You are just talking income tax and that is it. Why do you ignor the rest of their taxes?

You are just talking income tax and that is it. Why do you ignor the rest of their taxes?

Help me out. What rest of their taxes?

Actually, if you look at the graph linked to, when looking at the entire tax burden, the top 10% is paying MORE as a percentage than anyone else.

Your point seems muddled. Would you like to include all taxes or not? If so, you can't really talk about 47% of Americans not paying taxes.

Which graph are you referring to? You linked to about a dozen. If you have one that you would like to discuss in detail please post it so that we're all on the same page.

Edit: Are you talking about this graph?

taxes total effective state local.png?uuid=5sPFrIf1EeGrtIOZYQRVAA

• Fire 1

Your point seems muddled. Would you like to include all taxes or not? If so, you can't really talk about 47% of Americans not paying taxes.

Which graph are you referring to? You linked to about a dozen. If you have one that you would like to discuss in detail please post it so that we're all on the same page.

Edit: Are you talking about this graph?

taxes%20total%20effective%20state%20local.png?uuid=5sPFrIf1EeGrtIOZYQRVAA

Thank you...I tried posting it and for some reason I couldn't.

Quite frankly, I made my first comment about the 47% before I saw this graph. I am happy with this distribution of taxes.

So, the next decision is what expenses are we going to cut?

I'll give you one that I am more than happy to cut and then you give me one from your side.

Right now we have over 700 military installations around the world. That is total BS and we don't need them. I am tired of spending our money to defend people who hate us. Also, I we have technology now to where we can reach any place in the world very quickly. So, let's close almost all of those down and save that money.

Your turn.

Right now we have over 700 military installations around the world. That is total BS and we don't need them. I am tired of spending our money to defend people who hate us. Also, I we have technology now to where we can reach any place in the world very quickly. So, let's close almost all of those down and save that money.

Your turn.

I'd agree with military spending reductions. I don't think I'd close all of our bases overseas . . . we probably do need a lot of them. I'd definitely support bringing more troops home and getting out of areas where we have no reason to be.

Mine? Fossil fuel subsidies. Absolutely no reason for them.

• Fire 1

that is a great start. and i agree, let those troops come home. but you have to wonder why we occupy so many peaceful countries. one explanation is that we are not a democracy, nor a republic, but an empire. our troops are stationed around the globe to ensure the steady flow of wealth into our county. they are there to maintain stability to protect our economy.