USM Head Coach Talks about The Huskers

Southern Miss head coach, Ellis Johnson, talks about the Huskers for this Saturday's game. There's some interesting tid bits on what he had to say about the Skers.

http://www.southernm.../082712aab.html

"I don't think we've tackled a back that physical and fast. I'm sure they've not seen one in several years. (Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead) is mentioned in some Heisman consideration and is very versatile. They even have some things - you can call them trick plays if you want to - but they will line him up under center and the quarterback becomes the tail back and there's a full back in there to run the belly option so now you have a 220 lbs., quarterback and a (back who can run a 4.3 40-yard dash) and they are effective at it. They are very fast."- Ellis Johnson

I just read that. Almost posted it but I'm glad I glanced at the new articles first. They seem to be up in the air a little bit on their personnel and scheme, but they have the speed and overall athleticism to go step-for-step with us. We won't just run past these guys - we'll have to out-scheme them.

Some of the scores in the prediction contest are blowouts. I'm not seeing it, not unless we really have taken those huge strides on offense and defense like we're saying.

I'm expecting a dogfight, much like Fresno State last year.

On the keys to defending against Nebraska's offense...

"It's hard to say `keys'. When I was preparing for it (at South Carolina), there's some difference in personnel now.

So Ellis Johnson was Assist HC at South Caroliny last year, and at the Cap One Bowl. Didn't know that. Not sure how I feel about it. <_<

edit: I notice Ellis Johnson looks a lot like Ron Zook. Let's hope the similarities don't end there.

Some of the scores in the prediction contest are blowouts. I'm not seeing it, not unless we really have taken those huge strides on offense and defense like we're saying.

I'm expecting a dogfight, much like Fresno State last year.

Tough game to predict a score. Very bad situation for them having a new staff and then dealing with the weather like this. Don't envy them there. Then add in the QB situation. That's a rough way to begin a campaign.