Obama's Justice Department declines to prosecute torturers

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--nietzsche

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

~ Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

i agree, but i prefer intel over counterproductive torture.

As do I, but where's the "line" on that? There's no hard and fast rule regarding when that "boundary" is crossed.

Carl, we've gone round and round in the past over a multitude of different topics, and I respect your stance on this.

But if we're to play by the rules that no one else is adhering to, and it's impeding us from victories, then a moral flexibility may be necessary.

+1. Yeah. We're definitely on different sides on this one but I understand the temptation to try protect our people at the expense of people in our custody.

The United States has tortured countless people in the last 100 years, and these tortures have led to information resulting in the protection/saving of thousands of American lives.

Is there proof of this? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

I took a history of torture class at UNL. Don't have the textbook/notes or anything like that anymore.

Carl, we've gone round and round in the past over a multitude of different topics, and I respect your stance on this.

But if we're to play by the rules that no one else is adhering to, and it's impeding us from victories, then a moral flexibility may be necessary.

+1. Yeah. We're definitely on different sides on this one but I understand the temptation to try protect our people at the expense of people in our custody.

That temptation is strong, but to a point. When it crosses over to out and out sadism, I think you'd know when you're crossing that boundary, I know it's not as cut and dried like that, but I think you'd know...