ronz prediction

Ronznotes

UCLA-

I find this game to be very similar to Southern Miss. The "home" field will help UCLA very little other than the fact NU traveled a few time zones and mixed up it's routine, the crowd will be not much difference in favor of UCLA. In fact, the sea of red might play to NU's favor and certainly help us with recruiting in SoCal.

I don't expect Rex to play unless he is used as a decoy or if one of more of the other backs go down. We are out to win the BIG and Bo and Company will sit him accordingly.

UCLA has 3 freshman on the O-line and a Freshman QB. I can only imagine what the 95 or 99 defenses would have done to UCLA. But this is a different group of players - we don't have that crazy level of talent, but it will be a bad sign for us if UCLA runs the ball well and our blitzes are unsuccessful. Bo himself said this is a Big XII offense --- we should be pretty familiar with how to play against that type of personnel grouping.

Athletically, UCLA isn't much more talented than Southern Miss - a few more highly rated recruting classes, but we aren't playing against 22 NFL bound guys. We should not, other than their TE, have match up problems.

Martinez plays well, runs more, and misfires a couple more times. Completes 60% with 3 obvious drops.

Defense has 5+ tackles for loss and 3 sacks.

Defense does better on 3rd down because UCLA will face more 3rd and longs due to their mistakes.

Kicking game is definately our advantage.

Our running game - 3 rushers over 50 yards

7 players catch the ball

We collect our first INT - we're plus 1 on turnovers 1:2

NU 38

UCLA 13

They don't have a 6'7 WR. They have a 6'7 TE in Fauria.

But we've gone up against lots of 6'5 + Tight Ends and they don't tend to be major factors against us. (Martellus Bennett at A&M, Chase Coffman and Michael Egnew and at Missouri, Jermaine Gresham at OU, Brandon Pettigrew at Okie Light, Rob Gronkowski at Arizona, Collin Franklin at Iowa State, Jake Stonebrunner at OSU)

Every one of those was supposedly this big mismatch due to their big size... the only one that really gashed us in a game was Gresham in 2008 (50 yards 2 TD's) .

Fisher is 6'6 too, I expect he'll get a lot of work on Fauria.

They don't have a 6'7 WR. They have a 6'7 TE in Fauria.

But we've gone up against lots of 6'5 + Tight Ends and they don't tend to be major factors against us. (Martellus Bennett at A&M, Chase Coffman and Michael Egnew and at Missouri, Jermaine Gresham at OU, Brandon Pettigrew at Okie Light, Rob Gronkowski at Arizona, Collin Franklin at Iowa State, Jake Stonebrunner at OSU)

Every one of those was supposedly this big mismatch due to their big size... the only one that really gashed us in a game was Gresham in 2008 (50 yards 2 TD's) .

Fisher is 6'6 too, I expect he'll get a lot of work on Fauria.

Just being nitpicky here, but Gronkowski was out when we played Arizona in 2009, so we didn't defend him. Even so, Gronk wouldn't have compiled any statistics, because that defense was so beastly.