School lunch programs.

To me childhood obesity is a result of every waking minute of the child's life outside of school! Walk through the mall sometime or watch a child in a gas station throw a fit if not given some sugar loaded drink or snack!

School lunch programs have absolutely nothing to do with childhood obesity.

good answers, just not to what i asked.

To answer your question, yes! Having gone to school for parents lunch day, I can tell you that at my sons school, a salad bar is an option. Now I purposely kept my eye on the salad bar to see how many grade school kids chose it! It was less than 10%.

2 things about that number came to mind.

First, it was pizza Friday! C'mon! Which kid is gonna choose leafy greens over pizza? And secondly, I'm sure kids are fed more nutritiously at home. But when given a choice, it's pretty simple.

To your points:

1) I believe grade school kids are a poor group of kids to use as a sample group. The older kids get, the more conscious they become on what they put in their mouths for food. (at least many of them do). My kids and many of their friends love stuff like pizza. But, they also want to eat somewhat healthy.

2) Some kids are fed more nutritiously at home. But, I don't care if the school serves bacon double cheese burgers and fries every day, the parent and time away from school has much more to do with the total amount of calories they eat.

The school can be a very good source for educating kids on nutrition. I am not against that. In fact, I am all for it. BUT, how are you convincing kids to eat nutritiously if you SAY you are feeding them the way they should eat and the food is crap? The way you get kids to eat better is to make it nutritious AND make it good food.

This is the type of issue as to why I'm conservative. The government can take a good idea and screw up a wet dream.

i do not know what that means, but fair enough. at least they have the students' best interest in mind. you do agree that childhood obesity is a serious problem?

School lunch programs have absolutely nothing to do with childhood obesity.

this is true. People act like schools are responsible for every aspect of a kid's life. Parents are responsible for their kids health