Let's get playmakers on the field!

tyvodka23

Monday- install offensive/ defensive game plan/ practice tackling

Tuesday- review offensive/ defensive game plan/ practice tackling

Wednesday

- Run 10 20 yard sprints- followed by a 10 play #1's on #2's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's/ replace with JV guys excelling)

- Run 10 more 20 yard sprints - followed by a 10 play #1's on #2's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's)

Run 10 more 20 yard sprints - followed by a 10 play #1's on #2's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's)

Gas them out, see who is still doing things Right!

Conclude by Practicing Tackling!

Review film of practice- set dept chart based on performance during scrimmage-

Thursday

- Run 10 20 yard sprints- followed by a 10 play #1's on #1's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's/ replace with #2 guys excelling)

- Run 10 more 20 yard sprints - followed by a 10 play #1's on #1's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's)

review offensive/ defensive game plan

Review tape of practice, adjust dept chart accordingly!

Friday

-Review offensive/ defensive game plan with guys left standing, those who have earned their spot on the depth chart by performing correctly during practice while being gassed. Those are the guys who will come through in a close game in the 4th quarter, the ones dead tired and still giving it their all and doing things right. No spot is safe week to week, ever!

PS. Not impressed with Mike Morrow, he was 3 for 3 against Southern Miss, but seems to run too upright and gets stood up easily, even on those runs and especially at UCLA. Size only does so much if you don't keep your pads low and feet moving... Definitely not the juggernaut he was billed to be.

No Lavonte David. No (healthy) Crick. No Dennard. First year Defensive Coordinator. That is about the size of our defense. We just do not have a play maker right now at DT or DE. Not a one. Our LB play is mediocre at best. Our play in the secondary is actually pretty good in my opinion. I hope to see some fresh faces on defense (especially the front 4) in our next game.

My complaint on offense is Tim Beck needs to dial up much better plays when defenses bring heavy pressure.

No Lavonte David. No (healthy) Crick. No Dennard. First year Defensive Coordinator. That is about the size of our defense. We just do not have a play maker right now at DT or DE. Not a one. Our LB play is mediocre at best. Our play in the secondary is actually pretty good in my opinion. I hope to see some fresh faces on defense (especially the front 4) in our next game.

My complaint on offense is Tim Beck needs to dial up much better plays when defenses bring heavy pressure.

I am becoming a believer that we may have play makers at these positions but what they are being told to do doesn't work.

Vince Lombardi used to start every training camp with a football in his hands.

"This is a football. This is how we snap the ball. This is how we take the snap. This is how we hold the ball when we hand off. This is how we take the ball in a hand off..."

Seriously. It didn't matter if you were Bart Starr and saw it the last five years or the rookie, everybody started at Step #1 every year. It was the same with blocking, same with tackling, same with catching, everything. If a better way was found, it was disseminated out to everybody and put into next year's notes.

Many have said that Lombardi's playbook was high school level. However, Lombardi believed that conditioning and execution trumped everything. Does that still stand up? I don't know. However, the same idea that "nobody knows how to do anything until we teach them" is valid.

"This is a football. This is how we snap the ball. This is how we take the snap. This is how we hold the ball when we hand off. This is how we take the ball in a hand off..."

Seriously. It didn't matter if you were Bart Starr and saw it the last five years or the rookie, everybody started at Step #1 every year. It was the same with blocking, same with tackling, same with catching, everything. If a better way was found, it was disseminated out to everybody and put into next year's notes.

Many have said that Lombardi's playbook was high school level. However, Lombardi believed that conditioning and execution trumped everything. Does that still stand up? I don't know. However, the same idea that "nobody knows how to do anything until we teach them" is valid.

The game has also changed a hell of a lot since Lombardi was a coach. He was correct in principle, but ask any coach who has been around for a while. The game is MUCH more complex than it used to be.

Monday- install offensive/ defensive game plan/ practice tackling

Tuesday- review offensive/ defensive game plan/ practice tackling

Wednesday

- Run 10 20 yard sprints- followed by a 10 play #1's on #2's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's/ replace with JV guys excelling)

- Run 10 more 20 yard sprints - followed by a 10 play #1's on #2's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's)

Run 10 more 20 yard sprints - followed by a 10 play #1's on #2's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's)

Gas them out, see who is still doing things Right!

Review film of practice- set dept chart based on performance during scrimmage-

Thursday

- Run 10 20 yard sprints- followed by a 10 play #1's on #1's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's/ replace with #2 guys excelling)

- Run 10 more 20 yard sprints - followed by a 10 play #1's on #1's scrimmage, for both the offense and the defense--- evaluate who is still going hard, making the correct reads, sustaining blocks on offense/ flying to the ball and tackling correctly on defense (anyone sucking air/ slacking off/ not understanding the scheme,- go work with the JV's)

review offensive/ defensive game plan

Review tape of practice, adjust dept chart accordingly!

Friday

-Review offensive/ defensive game plan with guys left standing, those who have earned their spot on the depth chart by performing correctly during practice while being gassed. Those are the guys who will come through in a close game in the 4th quarter, the ones dead tired and still giving it their all and doing things right. No spot is safe week to week, ever!

PS. Not impressed with Mike Morrow, he was 3 for 3 against Southern Miss, but seems to run too upright and gets stood up easily, even on those runs and especially at UCLA. Size only does so much if you don't keep your pads low and feet moving... Definitely not the juggernaut he was billed to be.

You should take Knapps position as HB head coach and have us all do typing challenges. Then we will see how well we can excute the game day prayer thread. You seem like you're the guy to improve this board and take us to the MNC.

The game has also changed a hell of a lot since Lombardi was a coach. He was correct in principle, but ask any coach who has been around for a while. The game is MUCH more complex than it used to be.

The game has changed, but the fundamentals and principles remain the same. Blocking and tackling are still blocking and tackling. If you can't do the basics it doesn't matter how good your scheme or design is, it won't work. I do believe our OL play (blocking) was better , but our tackling is still atrocious. We are in decent position on occasion, but so many times fail to finish the play.

The game has changed, but the fundamentals and principles remain the same. Blocking and tackling are still blocking and tackling. If you can't do the basics it doesn't matter how good your scheme or design is, it won't work. I do believe our OL play (blocking) was better , but our tackling is still atrocious. We are in decent position on occasion, but so many times fail to finish the play.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. I'm not sure how well a coach would do today if he had a 20-play offensive playbook and coached only fundamentals. They would be too predictable. If they had talent that was superior to everyone that they were playing, that's a different story.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. I'm not sure how well a coach would do today if he had a 20-play offensive playbook and coached only fundamentals. They would be too predictable. If they had talent that was superior to everyone that they were playing, that's a different story.

That would be interesting to see though wouldn't it? A team with a very limited playbook that executed almost flawlessly. I think you still do see some of this at the high school level have success. Wonder how well it would do as you moved up the levels.