Notre Dame to the ACC

QMany

What a dumb move, they still won't be eligible for an ACC title, or automatic BCS bid correct?

Does anyone have an auto bid with the new playoff system? I thought bowls are contracting on their own like they used to. It was announced that the Irish had a verbal deal with the Orange Bowl to play when we had a BCS season and would likely play the ACC champs since they already were tied in. But the ACC had a case of Hey what about us? so the deal was on hold.

It looks like the ACC wanted candy too and got it in the form of a big deal with us. the problem is that we could win an Orange bowl berth and then we're playing an ACC team who we likely already played. Great.

This, coming from the school that still sees being an independent as something to hold on to, doesn't shock me.

And while there are no automatic bids for the playoff, there are for the big-name bowls, where the haves and have-nots still have their caste system.

--

What bothers me about all of this is that the B1G let a prime opportunity slip through its fingers in not trying to get Florida State to join up to the B1G. For all the talk Delaney has done about 'meaningful expansion' and wanting to attract a more southern fanbase and TV audience, you couldn't have had a better candidate than FSU. Good academics, AAU school, Florida TV markets, Florida recruiting, and FSU would likely be making more than their SEC neighbors (much of the impetus for their discontent).

I don't see anything out of this deal that alleviates their own concerns of being out-spent by all 14 SEC schools and that places like Mississippi State have better facilities than they do.

Well, I guess we wondered why Florida State stayed, and we got our answer.

The 'little more news' will probably revolve around something to do with Notre Dame's current NBC Sports deal.

I believed the reason FSU stayed was ESPN not giving any extra dollars to a larger Big12. Why would ESPN want to diminish its investment in the ACC? I had imagined this coming up again if NBC or Fox would come into the bidding, could still. After all FSU could sue over the exit fee.

Aside from that ND's schedule looks a little different. The ACC gains some stability for now. I am suprised by this, but not a big deal.

The 'little more news' will probably revolve around something to do with Notre Dame's current NBC Sports deal.

I believed the reason FSU stayed was ESPN not giving any extra dollars to a larger Big12. Why would ESPN want to diminish its investment in the ACC? I had imagined this coming up again if NBC or Fox would come into the bidding, could still. After all FSU could sue over the exit fee.

Aside from that ND's schedule looks a little different. The ACC gains some stability for now. I am suprised by this, but not a big deal.

Thanks for reminding me that now we're under the thumb of the WWL. Say, isn't this grounds for the ACC to renegotiate the K?

The Big XII contract, even after the ACC/ESPN deal, pays out more per school IIRC. But honestly, the only reason FSU would have moved was for football--everything else would have suffered, and all FSU is looking for is a way to combat the SEC teams that, to a school, outspend FSU and have (or will soon have) better facilities.

Short of joining the SEC (will never happen while Florida retains membership), their best option was to join the Big Ten. Better contract now, and it's being renegotiated in 2014. The future B1G money and a capable TV network that doesn't just see their programming as an 'obligation' (like how ESPN treats B1G and ACC broadcasts as compared to SEC broadcasts) would do wonders for all of FSU's programs, and actually allow it to compete successfully against the SEC schools.

And yes, the disparity in income between the SEC schools and FSU isn't bad now, but it will show itself over the course of the next decade or two. That's when FSU fans will realize they made a mistake staying put--when they're constantly losing dogfights for recruiting talent against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt instead of 'Bama and LSU.