Notre Dame to the ACC

QMany

Same song different verse. Isn't this the same rumor that was floating about them joining the Big XII as well? Be interesting to see what comes of it. Think what you will of Notre Dame, I've never been a fan (actually one of my strong dislikes in college football), but their name still garners attention, and would probably be the one school out there that could ensure some long-term stability in the ACC. Better believe if that's happening, though, that there's likely to be another school coming as well.

Interesting... so official announcement must have come this morning. Here's a link:

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/8369070/notre-dame-sports-football-hockey-acc

The big kicker that makes it different than the Big East arrangement is the 5 games a year in football. Also makes it sound like Notre Dame also gets to participate in the ACC's bowl package as well, although if you're not playing a full ACC schedule, how exactly does that work? If you go 5-0 or 4-1, and have the best perecentage in the conference, do you get to go to the Orange Bowl? Interesting logistics behind it to work out. Give credit to ND, if they have to, at some point in the future, belong to a conference to get a playoff bid, this will make it fairly easy to transition right into the conference.

Even more interesting when yo uread this link from the ACC website:

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/091212aaa.html

Buried at the bottom of that story is that the presidents evidently also voted to increase the exit fees to 3 times the annual operating budget, stating that currently, that would equate to an exit fee of over $50 million. So they're also strengthening the penalty if anyone should want to exit from now on. VERY interesting moves by the ACC.

I see... I didn't read Swarbrick's comments closely enough. It said they get to participate in their non-BCS bowl package. I would assume that means when the playoff hits, they also won't be eligible for the conference's auto-bid to the Orange Bowl as well, considering that's their affiliated bowl. From the short video they had on the ACC website, sounds like there might be a little more news later in the day. Interesting alignment developments, indeed.

What a dumb move, they still won't be eligible for an ACC title, or automatic BCS bid correct?

Does anyone have an auto bid with the new playoff system? I thought bowls are contracting on their own like they used to. It was announced that the Irish had a verbal deal with the Orange Bowl to play when we had a BCS season and would likely play the ACC champs since they already were tied in. But the ACC had a case of Hey what about us? so the deal was on hold.

It looks like the ACC wanted candy too and got it in the form of a big deal with us. the problem is that we could win an Orange bowl berth and then we're playing an ACC team who we likely already played. Great.

5 games??

Are you f'ing kidding me?

You wanted more or less/none?

What are your thoughts on the deal Joe?

I don't like it. It looks too much like conference membership.

ND plays 3 games per year against any one conference, occasionally 4 if we scheduled a new team. During the realignment chatter over the off-season I was adamant that we play a maximum of 4 games. In fact I liked our 3 Big10, 3Pac, Navy, +2 more. So when rumors came that the PAC might cut a deal with NBC or that Texas wanted our Olympic sports, I payed close attention to how many games would be part of the deal. (We joined the Big East for nonfootball sports with zero guaranteed games, but they aren't known for their world class management)

So for me the magic cutoff was 4 games and we're still an independent. that trumps the rest of the talk about stadium size, tv money, recruiting draws, and who statistically sucked slightly less since 1952.