Paul Ryan - making friends, influencing people

knapplc

Apparently that senior vote isn't all that important to Paul Ryan...

LINK

Ryan said, “It represents the worst of both worlds. It weakens Medicare for today’s seniors and puts it at risk for the next generation. First, it funnels $716 billion out of Medicare to pay for a new entitlement we didn’t even ask for. Second, it puts 15 unelected bureaucrats in charge of Medicare’s future.”

This group of educated AARP voters weren’t buying it as Ryan’s claims were met with a mixture of silence, groans, cries of no, and boos. Ryan expanded on his 15 bureaucrats lie, and he was met with silence.

Ryan’s remarks were based around two lies that factcheckers have already widely debunked. Ryan’s claim that Obama takes $716 billion away from seniors. PolitiFact rated his statement, “Ryan’s comments are highly misleading. Neither Obama nor his health care law literally cut funding from the Medicare program’s budget. Still, the number has a slight basis in fact… So, yes, Obama’s law did find $716 billion in spending reductions. They were mainly aimed at insurance companies and hospitals, not beneficiaries. The law made significant reductions to Medicare Advantage, a subset of Medicare plans run by private insurers. Medicare Advantage was started under President George W. Bush, and the idea was that competition among the private insurers would reduce costs. But the plans have actually cost the government more than traditional Medicare. The health care law scales back the payments to private insurers.”

Almost since day one, people like Ryan have being doing nothing besides trying to pit people against each other, creating confusion, and lying about policy changes. Insurers and health care providers agreed to the ~$700 billion reduction in payments and subsidies as part of a larger effort to reform health care. I am glad to see it blowing it up in his face because people aren't that dumb, and not everyone shares his belief that it's fine to take government benefits while pulling up the ladder on the people actually paying for them and expecting to retire too some day.

Like Obama and his administration haven't done the same? Pitting the rich vs the poor? The haves with the have nots? Americans vs illegal immigrants. Save the BS comments. It happens on both sides. Plus the AARP is about as biased as the NAACP.

• Fire 2

Like Obama and his administration haven't done the same? Pitting the rich vs the poor? The haves with the have nots? Americans vs illegal immigrants. Save the BS comments. It happens on both sides. Plus the AARP is about as biased as the NAACP.

But aren't those really the issues at hand in America today? If you forget about our wars like we unfortunately seem to have done, and throw foreign policy to the side and focus on us; aren't two of the biggest issues in this country today income disparity the economy and policies have created and discrimination against minorities in many different forms? And anytime the "left" tries to tell people something remotely true they are trying to create class warfare and pitting people against each other.

Well, there has been a line drawn pitting "one side" versus another - the whole "We are the 99%" thing. I don't know if the Obama administration has done that as opposed to it being a common social trend that exists wherever class division does. I would agree that parties/candidates have made good use of this, milking that 99% for what it's worth and trying to leverage it into political action.

Politics is all about pitting people against each other. Rallying the base means little more than trying to get those who agree with you to see themselves as even more fundamentally different than those who don't.

The issue here seems to be more that Paul Ryan is genuinely basing platform ideas on inaccurate information.

Like Obama and his administration haven't done the same? Pitting the rich vs the poor?

Fox News said it, so it must be true.

Didn't you say you agree that both sides are the problem? The only thing is I have yet to see you say one thing negative about the Dems.. I could have missed it though.

You mean the worst do-nothing congress in my lifetime? You mean Nancy Pelosi, who is the most embarrassingly bad congressional leader since... anyone? I could go on and on and on. I have no respect love, or admiration for them. I have never in my life been a Democrat, and I never will.

There's very little Dem bashing around here because those threads are always, "The Dems suck" and then everyone agrees and that's about it.

Like Obama and his administration haven't done the same? Pitting the rich vs the poor?

Fox News said it, so it must be true.

Didn't you say you agree that both sides are the problem? The only thing is I have yet to see you say one thing negative about the Dems.. I could have missed it though.

You mean the worst do-nothing congress in my lifetime? You mean Nancy Pelosi, who is the most embarrassingly bad congressional leader since... anyone? I could go on and on and on. I have no respect love, or admiration for them. I have never in my life been a Democrat, and I never will.

There's very little Dem bashing around here because those threads are always, "The Dems suck" and then everyone agrees and that's about it.

Oh, ok. I just see alot of one side bashing is all.. but I get your point. I don't bother bashing either side, because to me it is so evident how utterly screwed up they all are, it is pointless.

I've thought about this too. If someone just looked at post counts in political threads as an indication of ideological leaning . . . this forum would look pretty left leaning. However, if you look a little closer you'll see that a large number of posts result from certain posters (and replies to those posts) defending the actions of their preferred party.

Basically, a comment like "Paul Ryan didn't lie!" will extend a thread while a comment like "You're right. Biden is an idiot." will kill a thread.

I've thought about this too. If someone just looked at post counts in political threads as an indication of ideological leaning . . . this forum would look pretty left leaning. However, if you look a little closer you'll see that a large number of posts result from certain posters (and replies to those posts) defending the actions of their preferred party.

Basically, a comment like "Paul Ryan didn't lie!" will extend a thread while a comment like "You're right. Biden is an idiot." will kill a thread.

yeah, I haven't spent a lot of time in here but it seemed like those that said they were against both sides spent more time on one side.. Seemed weird to me.

I've followed this entire thread, but wanted to comment on this and other insightful posts you've made in this sub-section. This is the kind of humble and progressive thinking that can actually start to change things within the voter populous. Pointing out what both sides are doing wrong. Talking about specific issues. I greatly applaud that. Even just within a community like this, it can really make a difference.

I wish that Ryan would have brought some of his more libertarian views to the table with this vice presidency bid. He hasn't - he's sold himself out, and although I know this comment is harsh, only the stupidest of registered voters would applaud the guy for anything that he's brought to the table. I mean, he's well polished...almost to a robotic degree. But he's making himself out to be a "Mini-Mitt" in his contradictions even in the short amount of time he's had the spotlight so far.

I am disappoint.