11AM (CT) Presser today

Saunders

@GrantMuessel

Perlman said search for new AD won't be public and he's alway begun. Hired a search consultant, who found new Big 12 and Michigan ADs

@UNLNews

.harvey_perlman: #UNL is an important enough place nationally that we attract very high-caliber candidates. Have already begun nat'l search.

@Matt_Davison

I've been in the room for two retirements from Tom Osborne. Both very sad days for me and #Husker fans everywhere. Incredible human being.

@swmckewonOWH

The search will not be open or public. Perlman has hired a search firm. The search has already begun. Perlman has already done interviews.

@mitchsherman

Next three months are sure to bring out best and worst in Nebraskans as they lobby for their favorites. Faster Perlman moves, the better.

I had a lag spike, but Harvey said something about a Big Ten commissioner.

@HuskerExtraSip

Perlman has invited 12 to 15 advisors to help him in search.

@GrantMuessel

Perlman said he's already interviewed candidates and will likely interview more. Has 12-15 "advisors" including osborne. #huskers

@HuskerExtraSip

Perlman said Osborne will play an important role in helping advise him through the process.

@mitchsherman

Tom Osborne is trending nationally on Twitter.

@Blake_Lawrence

Tom Osborne had the biggest impact on my life as an athlete, student, and business leader. Incredible man. Love you T.O.

Question to Tom about health concerns - says he's healthier today than when he was a member of congress. No health issues.

@lanegrindle

He is one of the best people I have had the privilege to know. He makes you want to be a better person. Sad day. #huskers #tomosborne

@HuskerWrestling

A Big Red thank you to Coach Osborne for all his service to our program and ath dept. Sad to see you go but thankful for all you've done

@Lo_Cook

Devastated to hear the news of Coach Osborne's retirement, but I am very blessed to have had the opportunity to play here while he was here.

@ESPN_BigTen

Osborne thought about retiring this summer, had a few new staffers and "wanted one more grab at the brass ring with football and volleyball"

@swmckewonOWH

Osborne: Thought this summer would be the time to retire. But new hires set it back awhile. #huskers

@Huskers

#Huskers A.D. Coach Osborne on legacy: "That legacy question is a tricky one...I'd rather you guys write that one than me."

@helloerinmarie

"That legacy question is a tough one. I'd rather you guys wrote it." - Tom Osborne

@937JakeSorensen

Osborne says he still will be around after Jan. 1, just not as A.D. #Huskers

@AnnaWeigandt

Osborne left behind an amazing legacy. It was an honor to have him as an AD for the majority of my time here as a student athlete. @Huskers

@gmancuso18

Oh Tom, you are the greatest. Can I give you a hug?

@ESPN_BigTen

Osborne had no timetable when took AD job. "I had a grandfather who was a preacher, and he felt he should move every five years."

@swmckewonOWH

Osborne: Nancy keeps reminding me that the garage has not been cleaned for three years. I can see a whole list of things cropping up.

• Fire 1

@ESPN_BigTen

Osborne thought about retiring this summer, had a few new staffers and "wanted one more grab at the brass ring with football and volleyball"

i get the impression that TO has always been torn with wanting to leave, but being unable to walk away. an amazing man with incredible passion.

Harvey told Tom to give him a few months notice about him retiring before he made it public. Harvey says Tom approached him in August. Harvey says he got the ball rolling on interviews and the search as soon as Tom approached him in August.