Michigan State claims Ohio State doctored game film

Nexus

1:54AM EST September 30. 2012 - EAST LANSING, Mich. – Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi said Ohio State doctored the game film it was required to send to MSU before Saturday's game.

Narduzzi indicated that MSU complained to the Big Ten, but MSU associate athletics director John Lewandowski said MSU athletics director Mark Hollis and Ohio State athletics director Gene Smith settled the issue between them, with no Big Ten involvement.

Narduzzi told the Detroit Free Press that Ohio State cut off pre-snap motions and shifts before plays on film of its four games prior to Saturday's 17-16 OSU win at Spartan Stadium.

Continue Reading

So.....what are the "rules" to this?

What are the programs asked to send over? Every play of every game? Or, can they select what they want to send?

I just looked, all it says is as a courtesy, teams should provide film of games. I'm still looking around, but nothing says its even a requirement.

Just found it

Video of all games played during the current season (regular season and playoff games)

must be exchanged for scouting purposes. Once both teams for a particular game have been

determined, the video must be exchanged as soon as reasonabily possible. All exchanged

video must be complete and provide a “wide-angle” view of all 22 student-athletes. Video

exchanged may only be obtained from the two competing institutions.

This is a good policy. The coaching staff/athletic department already have enough on their plates without having to send in people to scout other games and work out contract deals with ESPN for the rights to the games.

I believe I read somewhere that the tOSU game films were also sent to the MSU staff on 'late' Thr. Only gave Dantonio and his staff one day to review and prepare... I think all the things that was going on lead up to going public and making it known that this must not go on for the rest of the conference! There should be a stated timeframe (ie. 72 hrs. before game time, etc.) vs. 'reasonable timeframe' that game film should be exchanged between competing Universities.

FWIW, reported to the media:

"We had tape cut off all week, where they changed the tape, I'm not going to lie to you," Narduzzi said outside the MSU locker room. "They send you tape and they've got it all cut off, and you don't get to see shifts or motions or anything else."

Big Ten teams are required to provide game film to each other before they play, with footage shot by their respective video staffs. Narduzzi said MSU contacted Ohio State's non-league opponents and got film from them.

"A few other teams we talked to that they played, and we compared what they were looking at on tape to what we were looking at," he said. "We're like 'We don't see any of that. We see it on their tape but not on our tape.' So that's something I'm sure the Big Ten office will hopefully take care of."

The response from Urban Meyer was that he knew nothing about the matter... When he asked his video staff they also responded they knew nothing of the matter... Hmmmmmm.....

Does anyone know when tOSU will send their 'un-doctored' game films to the Husker staff this week? Hopefully B/4 Thr. night !!!

This is a good policy. The coaching staff/athletic department already have enough on their plates without having to send in people to scout other games and work out contract deals with ESPN for the rights to the games.

I believe I read somewhere that the tOSU game films were also sent to the MSU staff on 'late' Thr. Only gave Dantonio and his staff one day to review and prepare... I think all the things that was going on lead up to going public and making it known that this must not go on for the rest of the conference! There should be a stated timeframe (ie. 72 hrs. before game time, etc.) vs. 'reasonable timeframe' that game film should be exchanged between competing Universities.

FWIW, reported to the media:

"We had tape cut off all week, where they changed the tape, I'm not going to lie to you," Narduzzi said outside the MSU locker room. "They send you tape and they've got it all cut off, and you don't get to see shifts or motions or anything else."

Big Ten teams are required to provide game film to each other before they play, with footage shot by their respective video staffs. Narduzzi said MSU contacted Ohio State's non-league opponents and got film from them.

"A few other teams we talked to that they played, and we compared what they were looking at on tape to what we were looking at," he said. "We're like 'We don't see any of that. We see it on their tape but not on our tape.' So that's something I'm sure the Big Ten office will hopefully take care of."

The response from Urban Meyer was that he knew nothing about the matter... When he asked his video staff they also responded they knew nothing of the matter... Hmmmmmm.....

Does anyone know when tOSU will send their 'un-doctored' game films to the Husker staff this week? Hopefully B/4 Thr. night !!!

Someone has to know something. Someone cut out pre-snap footage. If it wasnt cutout, then someone was hitting the stop/record buttons on the camera. It just doesnt magically do that on it's own.

As far as the rule of "complete" footage goes, leave it to Urban to re-translate that into the plays only and not what's going on pre-snap. Sounds like crap to me.