Huskers v Sooners coming soon?

Nothing I said in that statement is untrue.

Your knowledge of the facts is showing.

Everything you said in that statement is complete BS, Gary Gibbs and his 45-10 stomping of Tom was still fresh in the minds of the Sooners when the Big XII was formed. I'm pretty sure the Sooners knew they would be back in a matter of time, our rivalry to them was like ours was with CU, it just wasn't as big as what we Husker fans wanted it to be.

Regardless of what your sooner fan friends say (taking that with a grain), it's safe to say that OU/NU was a far more important rivalry that OU/UT. Some interesting stats are laid out here of OU/UT, but quite frankly they stand nothing to OU/NU. For one, OU/NU one game that is arguably-and always in the conversation as-one of the greatest games ever played. The hype that centered the matchup every year was unparalleled because of the high stakes that were always on the line. Sure it lost it's luster when OU fell off, and then Nebraska fell off just in time for OU to get back. Not to mention that when the Big 12 and its intangibles were formed, OU was down and trying to get back. If it's true (I really dont know the facts on this, and everything said here so far has been hearsay) that OU did not want to continue the year in, year out game with NU, it's understandable, beings they were trying to get back.

If you don't understand that there were major issues with the Big XII that caused us to leave other than competitiveness, then you have simply either chosen to ignore them or weren't anywhere around when it happened.

Exactly. Those who think that the move to the Big 10 was all about winning more football games a year are so ignorant to the real world they shouldnt even be allowed to breath. In fact, football competitiveness was probably the very VERY last thing on the list of reasons. And I dont even know why I'm commenting on this right now.

We all know exactly why we left the Big XII, the same reason the student section was crapped on, the same reason the fan base was even more split during it's upheaval during the Solich/Callahan/ and now Bo years using Golf events and statements that were meant to entice the split. We get it, poor Tom was bullied at the Big XII inception and didn't get his way as a Div1 coach ( that liked to play AD as well in picking Solich)

All we really had to do is play competent football and nothing the Big XII did would matter, sort of like beating Miami in Miami. Jerry Jones land was the obvious venue, why are we not concerned with Indy all of a sudden? Didn't seem to matter when we played the inaugural Big XII Championship game I attended in 96 in a dome in dowtown St. Louis

And the statement in bold is so ludicrous and such a fact-skipping list accusations that I just rubbed a hole in my head.

Here's everyone's friendly reminder to keep the posts here about the topic, not the person.

Also, here's a link to two articles which speak about the formation of the Big XII, and why Nebraska eventually left. It's good reading.

LINK

Exactly! So when one says " OU is Chicken chits and scared of Nebraska" maybe the entire South division could say the same about Nebraska not wanting to play " them every year in a Championship Game ( which benifits the entire conference)

The SWC expatriates wanted entrance requirements that were stiffer than those mandated by the NCAA. Nebraska, sustained through the years by more lenient standards, objected.

Suddenly, the process of forming the Big 12 became a clash of priorities and a dispute over how priorities shape integrity.

Cornhuskers fans howled about UT arrogance. UT supporters saw Nebraska's reluctance as a cynical, self-serving way to keep the Cornhuskers on top.

"Nebraska and Texas were jockeying for position," said Bill Byrne, the A&M AD who then held that position at Nebraska. "Nebraska was the 800-pound gorilla in the Big Eight. Texas was the 800-pound gorilla in the Southwest Conference."

In December of 1995, 10 months before the first Big 12 football game, the league's school presidents agreed to allow each Big 12 school to admit two male and two female partial qualifiers each season. Still, Nebraska officials wanted to delay implementation. League presidents voted 11-1 to put the rules into immediate effect.

That was the second major defeat for Nebraska.

The Cornhuskers had dominated Big Eight football — they won back-to-back national titles in that league's final two seasons — and they opposed the idea of a title game, fearing one upset could ruin a season.

So with partial qualifiers and not wanting a Championship game who sounds scared? Not OU

Regardless of what your sooner fan friends say (taking that with a grain), it's safe to say that OU/NU was a far more important rivalry that OU/UT. Some interesting stats are laid out here of OU/UT, but quite frankly they stand nothing to OU/NU. For one, OU/NU one game that is arguably-and always in the conversation as-one of the greatest games ever played. The hype that centered the matchup every year was unparalleled because of the high stakes that were always on the line. Sure it lost it's luster when OU fell off, and then Nebraska fell off just in time for OU to get back. Not to mention that when the Big 12 and its intangibles were formed, OU was down and trying to get back. If it's true (I really dont know the facts on this, and everything said here so far has been hearsay) that OU did not want to continue the year in, year out game with NU, it's understandable, beings they were trying to get back.

If you don't understand that there were major issues with the Big XII that caused us to leave other than competitiveness, then you have simply either chosen to ignore them or weren't anywhere around when it happened.

Exactly. Those who think that the move to the Big 10 was all about winning more football games a year are so ignorant to the real world they shouldnt even be allowed to breath. In fact, football competitiveness was probably the very VERY last thing on the list of reasons. And I dont even know why I'm commenting on this right now.

We all know exactly why we left the Big XII, the same reason the student section was crapped on, the same reason the fan base was even more split during it's upheaval during the Solich/Callahan/ and now Bo years using Golf events and statements that were meant to entice the split. We get it, poor Tom was bullied at the Big XII inception and didn't get his way as a Div1 coach ( that liked to play AD as well in picking Solich)

All we really had to do is play competent football and nothing the Big XII did would matter, sort of like beating Miami in Miami. Jerry Jones land was the obvious venue, why are we not concerned with Indy all of a sudden? Didn't seem to matter when we played the inaugural Big XII Championship game I attended in 96 in a dome in dowtown St. Louis

And the statement in bold is so ludicrous and such a fact-skipping list accusations that I just rubbed a hole in my head.

surprise, surprise, at least I didn't bring up the Lincoln Police Departments views of our meddling in their business, probably because it has nothing to do with people saying OU is scared of Nebraska

And I can assure you no facts were skipped, there's plenty more where those came from

How is it that everyone seems to have forgotten that colorado, missouri and the entire big12 south had their bags packed and were halfway out the door when this went down? We had no choice but to jump. There is no information other than that that is or was relevant.

Seriously? This is a serious question. Are you a K State fan? I know you keep saying you are a Nebraska fan but I have a hard time believing it or what you are saying.

On the topic, I really don't care to renew a rivalry with OU. It would be ok to play them, but I won't lose any sleep if we don't. I would like to change it up and see more of like Stanford, Oregan, ND, or Florida St. with many others, but my point is we are in a new conference and have new teams for a rivalry to take place. I still would like to see one tough Non-con that could go either way W-L.

They chickened out because we wanted to keep the game every year but they didn't want to have to play us and Texas every year. At the time (mid 90s) we were the most dominant program in the country and they stunk. Texas wasn't a dominant program either so they stuck with Texas and ran away from playing us every year.

If that makes you feel better, sort of the way we ran away from the Big XII to a weak conference because we were chicken and were dominated by both participants in said Red River Shootout. Makes more sense to me now.

Really??? It is a FACT that we wanted to play them every year and they said "no". AND, it is a FACT that we were absolutely dominating them at the time and Texas wasn't that good.

AND, at the time when we decided to jump ship, the Big 10 was much better than they are this year. These two situations are completely different.

And yes really, the "Red River shootout" is 10 fold the rivalry that Nebraska vs the Sooners ever was, like I said, Nebraska claimed that rivalry much more than any Sooner fan will, it just wasn't that big of a deal to them. We beat them in the Game of the century, We ended bud Wilkinsons domination in one game after that...........we all know the deal.

lol, that is a joke. I lived next to a sooner fan and it WAS the real deal to them. This was back in the 70's and 80's...

I just find it laughable that some schmuck suggests that we left the Big 12 because we were afraid of the teams in the southern division. If that were true, why on earth would we do that when we were developing a stranglehold on the North and likely to be the favorite to go to the title game each year? Furthermore, why would we be wanting to play them now if we were trying to get away from them before? One can feel their IQ dropping after reading the twisted logic in this thread. Thanks.....I'm dumber for reading this.

With how hard and expensive it is to schedule non-conf cupcakes, why not create an annual rivalry game -- certainly TV would love it, you get another early season recruiting opportunity, if you lose, it's early and it is against a premiere opponent.

And, with the way the play-offs are shaping up, I don't think that loss would be crippling for either program.