Recruiting Updates

Am I correct here? We'll have eight Freshmen, six Sophomores, no Juniors and three Seniors?

This is how I see the roster breaking down right now. 17 girls, which isn't HUGE, but it's a lot. Travel roster limit is 15 so not everyone is going to get to go to away matches. The NCAA doesn't limit women's volleyball roster sizes, so we could have upwards of 20 girls on the team if we wanted.

Yr. - Pos. - Name

Fr. - S - Kelly Hunter

Fr. - MB - Kira Larson

Fr. - OH - Amber Rolfzen

Fr. - OH - Kadie Rolfzen

Fr. - MB - Melanie Keil

Fr. - S - Justine Wong-Orantes

Fr. - DS - Alexa Ethridge

Fr. - L - Brenna Lyles

So. - L - Zarda, Sheridan

So. - MB - Hall, Cecilia

So. - OH - Ostrander, Alicia

So. - OH - Fien, Kelsey

So. - MB - Haggerty, Meghan

So. - RS - Strange, Alexa

Sr. - RS - Broekhuis, Morgan

Sr. - MB - Thramer, Hayley

Sr. - OH - Kelsey Robinson

Hubl is back for a 5th year. She did not appear in a match as a sophomore and has one year of eligibility remaining.

Paige isn't coming back. Talked to her Saturday night and her college career is over.

I was going by her quotes in the newspaper and the fact she was practicing. Oh well, I guess it makes sense with the last couple late signings.

• 2 months later...

Kenzie Maloney, a 5'8" DS/L from Louisville, Ky....our first commit for the Class of 2015. She was a part of the Assumption team that gave Papio South it's only loss this past season.

4304KenzieMaloney-24.jpg

We definetly have a log jam coming up in the back court with the latest DS/L recruits Cook has been signing.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor on the street is that we get another Tennessee transfer. Welcome Mary Pollmiller (Setter).

She was the 2011 SEC Freshman of the Year and has played virtually every set for her two seasons at Tenn.

John Cook is the Nick Saban of volleyball.

:sarcasm

• Fire 1

I think this is actually going to work out better than if Strange had stayed on the team. Srange definitely had some talent, but wasn't a natural setter and didn't really have the height or blocking for a consistent outside. Getting a proven talent at setter that has two years left is an upgrade, and now we might even be able to run a 6-2 system with both her and Hunter.

I do wonder if the NCAA is going to review the transfer policy at some point in the near future. It does seem out of place with the rest of the major college sports that volleyball players don't have to sit out a year. It is working to our benefit certainly, but wonder if it hurts volleyball recruiting and the sport as a whole.

• 2 months later...

FYI..

Foecke is tearing it up for the Girls Youth National Team. She is the team leader in points so far for USA at the Girls’ U18 World Championship. From some of the comments and limited video I've seen, she will more than likely be the team MVP, and depending on how the team finishes (they are in the Quarterfinals) should be named to the All Tourney team.

wow9.jpg