We lack speed

Apathy

On the contrary, we need a defense that is extremely smart, extremely disciplined, and maintains contain on Braxton. Failed to do that.

I disagree with this. I think this is what Bo has been trying to do...take inferior athletes but make them have extreme discipline, be in the right position, play perfection and "execute" as a unit out there. It's not working when you have 19 year olds out there who can't match up against faster, superior athletes and are confused looking to the sidelines. Get me some playmakers and then put in some discipline...you'll be amazed at how that whole "execution" thing looks a lot better. Give me the playmaking ability of a Lavonte David over the "smarts" and "discipline" of an Austin Cassidy and I will take that everytime.

On the contrary, we need a defense that is extremely smart, extremely disciplined, and maintains contain on Braxton. Failed to do that.

With the moves Braxton puts on people, being in the perfect spot isn't going to be enough sometimes. You need the athletes to finish the play.

LoL I'm not sure about this.. The Huskers are a heck of a football team, but outside of guys like Abdullah,Bell and Martinez, the Huskers were not the faster team to the edge. Nebraska ran into a buzzsaw..facing a talented team with an ax to grind at home.

I would give the speed edge at LB and DB to OSU for sure.. That being said, Nebraska is not slow at all. Braxton Miller may be a more refined passer at this stage of his career than Martinez and maybe quicker laterally, but I dont think he's as fast as Martinez straight line..if that makes any sense. #10 at LB for OSU is unlike anyone the Huskers have and that is saying a lot because Nebraska has a pretty good back 7 in comparison to the rest of the league

Didn't OSU's 3rd string RB (#2) pretty much outrace everyone to the edge last night to make the score 56 for OSU?

#34 Hyde is pretty mobile for a bigger RB too.

• Fire 1

+1, +1. Good posts.

I don't think we are an especially slow team. Lavonte, it wasn't just his athleticism. He was instinctive and flowed to the ball. We could use some more of that, but really, when Braxton is dialed in, it's hard to combat that, period, for 60 minutes.

Braxton Miller isn't Superman. OSU only put up 17 points on Michigan State, and they only put up 29 on UAB.

Our defense DOES lack speed. We knew that after the UCLA game, which is why we benched Whaley in favor of Santos/Anderson. The coaches came right out and said that we lacked speed. Don't know why it would be any different after the Ohio State game.

• Fire 5

OSU has recruited well for years, especially at DB and LB, and it is no surprise they were pretty solid back there.

OSU is top dog in a talent-rich state..they're going to have some serious depth year in and year out.

Nebraska has to recruit well out of state to have a chance and they've done that...just ran into a buzz saw.

This isnt the 70s and 80s anymore..the 85 scholarship limit will probably hit teams like Nebraska harder than LSU, USC, Alabama or Florida due to geography...

Michigan can be beaten and Nebraska plays them at home. I don't expect Michigan to be as active as OSU's defense for 2-3 years yet...they're still recovering from the RichRod regime which was a poor fit for Michigan.

Braxton Miller isn't Superman. OSU only put up 17 points on Michigan State, and they only put up 29 on UAB.

Our defense DOES lack speed. We knew that after the UCLA game, which is why we benched Whaley in favor of Santos/Anderson. The coaches came right out and said that we lacked speed. Don't know why it would be any different after the Ohio State game.

Because MSU is built differently than Nebraska up front on defense. OSU couldnt run the ball as effectively and was on the road. MSU is a bi-polar football team, always has been, but they're really stout on the DL and played the contain better than NU did last night

• Fire 1

Whaley isn't particularly slow. I think it's a talent issue more than anything, not a pure speed issue. Even in UCLA he was getting into the backfield pretty quick. Couldn't tackle that day. I think he has redeemed himself some lately. Of course it's hard to follow individual players over whole games, but he did make a good backfield tackle or two last night.

Talent issue, harder to solve. It'll take time, work, etc, etc. We'll see. With recruiting issues coming to a head and all, time more than anything. I don't think anybody was under the delusion that this year's squad was super-talented, though. A lot of unproven guys all over the defense. A lot of personnel changes lately as well.

How did Eric Martin do last night? I know he was a terror to start. But of course the risk with Martin is always discipline and breaking contain. Was that a problem as the game wore on? I feel like our DL, overall, just hasn't been up to par this year or last. At all. The second levels of our defense are really getting dealt a bad hand as a result.

Nebraska has speed. Nebraska has size. What Nebraska lacks is mental toughness, Nebraska lacks guts.

Nebraska goes on the road, gets intimidated and panics. They reach for the reset button, but it's not a video game. There are a few tough players like Burkhead, but most are not.

Unless the guys change their attitudes, this season could easily go to 7-5,-6-6 or even 5-7. That woulld be a real shame, as this group of players had the POTENTIAL to be unbeaten in the regular season...

If Nebraska was not mentally tough, they would have folded against Wisconsin at home last week or against OSU last year. OSU is just a better team than 95% of teams across the country when they're clicking

Nebraska will go 10-2 IMO or 9-3 at worst, so step off the ledge people