First 4 years, a comparison between 4 Husker coaches

You know, most folks have been attacking Bo's road game losses this season and last season. How come there is no comparison with the 4 coaches when it comes to those records? How come Callahan records aren't in this debate as well?

Because the comparisons don't matter. This is a "discussion" pieces, aka "reaction column". Dirk even said in the article, I'm paraphrasing: 'you can't compare today to 40 years ago in the world of college football'. But yet, Dirk goes on to do just that.

Disclaimer: This was brought up in one of the comments after the article, not by me.

Well for s--ts n giggles, here is a breakdown of the Devaney, Osborne, Solich, Pelini and Callahan's away records for the first 5 years at Nebraska, cept for Callahan who only has 4 years. I did not include Con Championship games or bowl games.

BD 15 - 3

TO 14 - 6 - 2

FS 13 - 10

BC 7 - 13

BP 13 - 8

I don't usually giggle when I s**t, but thank you for the experience :lol: If we're reading the numbers the same way, we not only have a good coach by "today's" standards, but also is "similar" to the greats of the program...

edit: now would be a perfect time for the guy sittin' on the pot with his boxers blowing in the breeze.

the numbers game makes me laugh as well.. because it is so stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, I guess it makes sense to those that only care about that stuff. A good coach is not defined by his record alone.

They didn't include Cally for a reason.. he was never a husker coach, not like those that were used. I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

The 3 used ARE Nebraska football, and are what you want your newest coach to aspire to be.

You know, most folks have been attacking Bo's road game losses this season and last season. How come there is no comparison with the 4 coaches when it comes to those records? How come Callahan records aren't in this debate as well?

Because the comparisons don't matter. This is a "discussion" pieces, aka "reaction column". Dirk even said in the article, I'm paraphrasing: 'you can't compare today to 40 years ago in the world of college football'. But yet, Dirk goes on to do just that.

Disclaimer: This was brought up in one of the comments after the article, not by me.

Well for s--ts n giggles, here is a breakdown of the Devaney, Osborne, Solich, Pelini and Callahan's away records for the first 5 years at Nebraska, cept for Callahan who only has 4 years. I did not include Con Championship games or bowl games.

BD 15 - 3

TO 14 - 6 - 2

FS 13 - 10

BC 7 - 13

BP 13 - 8

So we are looking at BP with one less road game, basically on point with TO? Would be very interesting to see where they'd be if you throw OT losses out for Bo as TO has two ties. Next, would it be fair to say that our two conferences were more rounded than the old Big 8?

the numbers game makes me laugh as well.. because it is so stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, I guess it makes sense to those that only care about that stuff. A good coach is not defined by his record alone.

They didn't include Cally for a reason.. he was never a husker coach, not like those that were used. I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

The 3 used ARE Nebraska football, and are what you want your newest coach to aspire to be.

I want the coach of my team to "aspire" to the following:

Undefeated seasons, every season

Division/Conference/National Championships, every season

Graduate every single player. Scholarship and Walk-on, every year.

FYI, Devaney nor Osborne accomplished this. Nor Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, "Bear" Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer, Bill Snyder, Rockne, Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes. NO ONE has ever came close to accomplishing this!!!!

Yet, our coach Bo Pelini (along with any coach worth a paycheck) aspires to this level.

To "disqualify" Bill Callahan, or any other Husker coach (because they didn't "aspire") is dangerously stupid...

• Fire 1

lo country, sure you can go off of numbers and stats, but the stats don't show how how the program was, when that coach took control. Devaney, he simply built the platform for NU. Osborne was handed a great team, with great talent with coaches and players. He continued the success, with his own ups and downs, until Solich took over.

Sorry, I have to disagree with statement. In 73 TO went 9-2-1 with a young class. (Humm was a JR.), again in 74, he was 9-3 and it wasn't until 75 with Ferragamo that he went 10-2, dropping his bowl game and falling to 9th in the polls. I am not saying that in Nebraska lore, these weren't good teams. I just don't think they were great teams. Pelini conversely, was handed a lot of talent. Had Cos never been hired, and Clownahan got a defensive genius, this would be a different story.

lo country, sure you can go off of numbers and stats, but the stats don't show how how the program was, when that coach took control. Devaney, he simply built the platform for NU. Osborne was handed a great team, with great talent with coaches and players. He continued the success, with his own ups and downs, until Solich took over.

Sorry, I have to disagree with statement. In 73 TO went 9-2-1 with a young class. (Humm was a JR.), again in 74, he was 9-3 and it wasn't until 75 with Ferragamo that he went 10-2, dropping his bowl game and falling to 9th in the polls. I am not saying that in Nebraska lore, these weren't good teams. I just don't think they were great teams. Pelini conversely, was handed a lot of talent. Had Cos never been hired, and Clownahan got a defensive genius, this would be a different story.

Star-wise, sure Clownahan brought in talent in that aspect, but Cally knowing Lemming helped inflat recruiting rankings. Not too many of those players on the defensive side of the ball proved they were worth their weight in sh#t before Bo.

FYI, Devaney nor Osborne accomplished this. Nor Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, "Bear" Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer, Bill Snyder, Rockne, Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes. NO ONE has ever came close to accomplishing this!!!!

Yet, our coach Bo Pelini (along with any coach worth a paycheck) aspires to this level.

To "disqualify" Bill Callahan, or any other Husker coach (because they didn't "aspire") is dangerously stupid...

No it isn't, Cally was nothing you want in a college coach. Yes, any coach worth his weight will aspire to that level.. thanks you made my point. You don't have a mentor that has a college career like cally did. That is why you don't include him in this type of comparison.

No it isn't, Cally was nothing you want in a college coach. Yes, any coach worth his weight will aspire to that level.. thanks you made my point. You don't have a mentor that has a college career like cally did. That is why you don't include him in this type of comparison.

No point in continuing this.....

Have a good Saturday :)

(p.s.: I'm sure Cally and Cosgrove "wanted" to lose those games and mess up the program. From the sounds of it they really enjoyed your death threats)

Star-wise, sure Clownahan brought in talent in that aspect, but Cally knowing Lemming helped inflat recruiting rankings. Not too many of those players on the defensive side of the ball proved they were worth their weight in sh#t before Bo.

My point. Imagine if Bo had been retained as D coordinator. Bowman, Bradley, Ruud, Shanle, Carriker and Suh. It was a crime to allow this kind a talent to slack on a field.

My point. Imagine if Bo had been retained as D coordinator. Bowman, Bradley, Ruud, Shanle, Carriker and Suh. It was a crime to allow this kind a talent to slack on a field.

Same could be said for WRs like Chris Brooks and the Marlon Lucky's of the world. To this point, Id take AA any day of the week over ML.

It's amazing how that myth lives on forever, I'm just too lazy to look it up "again" but Clownahan's offensive stats were massively padded with endless garbage pts/yds where we racked up big stats while playing the opponent's waterboys (while down 3 or more TDs). Even a casual glance at his schedule & scores showed good to decent defenses stopping Clownahan's offense stone cold.

He could tear apart SunBelt teams though. That's for sure.

• Fire 1

Same could be said for WRs like Chris Brooks and the Marlon Lucky's of the world. To this point, Id take AA any day of the week over ML.

I would too. The guy had hands of glue but was marginal at best running the ball.

BD 15 - 3

TO 14 - 6 - 2

FS 13 - 10

BC 7 - 13

BP 13 - 8

So we are looking at BP with one less road game, basically on point with TO? Would be very interesting to see where they'd be if you throw OT losses out for Bo as TO has two ties. Next, would it be fair to say that our two conferences were more rounded than the old Big 8?

I was gonna say Bo is more closer to Frank, as of now. If we win the next 3 road games, then i would say he is closer to Tom after his first five seasons.

One thing i realized, with the exception of Devaney, every coach had difficult loses (or ties) on away games.

No point in continuing this.....

Have a good Saturday :)

(p.s.: I'm sure Cally and Cosgrove "wanted" to lose those games and mess up the program. From the sounds of it they really enjoyed your death threats)

lol, what a chicken sh!t post.