Something I heard on 1620 this week...

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents.

:facepalm:

Taylor's Ohio State, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri wins, off the top of my head, were against "nobody" opponents?

Yes, facepalm. If you actually believe Taylor is the one winning our games, you are delusional my friend.

If you actually believe Taylor is the one losing our games, you are delusional my friend.

I don't think anyone thinks TM is the one losing our games! But he is a BIG part of the problem. Being critical of one aspect doesn't mean we blame everything on that one aspect. There is a lot wrong with this team. It's not just one thing. And for you to believe that someone thinks it's only TM losing the games is ridiculous. Quit being so eager to defend and show your blind loyalty. I'm sick of sanctimonious Husker fans who reject any criticism of Bo, TM or any other weakness on the team.

Try reading what he wrote. He said TM is why we lose big games. He's wrong, as are his "facts." Might wanna read before spouting off.

Taylor is not the problem. Taylor is the guy... you stand behind your quarterback. You give your players unneeded confidence issues when you bench them at the first sniffle sneeze or cough. Tommie wouldn't want to be benched if he earned the starting job and he had a hiccup in a game either.

Taylor always has the hiccups in the big games

I don't blame Tommie Armstrong if he wants to transfer. This coaching staff has babied Taylor since he started his first game here and nothing is going to change until he graduates. Hell, Taylor could throw 6 picks in a game and there would be no sign of giving someone else a chance.

Yeah you should read what i wrote, I did not say it's all on taylor, but people seem to put him on some sort of holy pedestal. He is an average quarterback... nothing more nothing less. HE is the "leader of the team". So when he flounders, so does everyone else. If Taylor consistently played like he has, then we would all be happy. I am just sick of him being considered the ONLY choice. We could have WAY better.

Yeah, I'd agree with that Nobody, except Taylor has enjoyed unlimited job security for years. With a lot of mistake-filled performances over that time.

I agree with what they're saying: Taylor has to continue to prove and earn his job. If these kind of struggles continue and his job security continues unlimited, it would not be surprising for a backup QB to leave, although Tommy would only be a redshirt freshman next season. If Taylor is the starting QB next year, I think he should win an (open) competition in spring and fall. If he's good enough, he'll win it.

toten, I think most players go into a program with the attitude of 'I'm going to compete for the position and do my best', not 'Well, this guy is obviously better than me, so I'll just have to sit around for a few years.' Just the nature of competitive athletics, no?

No, he'll win it regardless.

Taylor is not the problem. Taylor is the guy... you stand behind your quarterback. You give your players unneeded confidence issues when you bench them at the first sniffle sneeze or cough. Tommie wouldn't want to be benched if he earned the starting job and he had a hiccup in a game either.

Taylor always has the hiccups in the big games

I don't blame Tommie Armstrong if he wants to transfer. This coaching staff has babied Taylor since he started his first game here and nothing is going to change until he graduates. Hell, Taylor could throw 6 picks in a game and there would be no sign of giving someone else a chance.

Exactly this, I have seen people benched for much less. People stuck in the doghouse that are far and above better then players on the field. Taylor though, on the field no matter how bad he perfroms.

We could have WAY better.

That's the problem - we don't have better. And we haven't gone out and gotten better, which may be what you're hinting at.

Seems our coaching staff went "all-in" on martinez

what were our options? Carnes? Lol. green? He was more interested in girls. Lee? He graduated.

Who on our roster could have come in and lead us to wins against UCLA and OSU?

That's the problem - we don't have better. And we haven't gone out and gotten better, which may be what you're hinting at.

what were our options? Carnes? Lol. green? He was more interested in girls. Lee? He graduated.

That's what I said in my original post. Taylor was good when we really didn't have anybody else. But looking at Armstrong and Stanton on tape, those guys are complete QB's, Period. They aren't RB who though an occasional pass out there. Armstrong can put the ball where he wants it within 50 yards and Stanton has a great football IQ that allows him to break down coverage. Taylor does just fine when he plays the likes of Southern Miss or Idaho State but up against someone who knows what they're doing, the defense jumps everyone of his routes because he does not read the defense under pressure at all.

I think TMart has done a fine job with what he has to work with but if the coaches don't put the best player on the field than we will never progress past where we are now. May the best man win. My gut says TM won't be the best option come next year.

"Taylor Martinez will start at QB in 2013, but if he shows signs of struggle again, and Tommie A doesn't get a shot...Tommie will not be at NU the following year."

Your thoughts?

I don't think it's very likely considering Tommy would be wasting a year of eligibility doing that. Once you redshirt, that decision to transfer becomes much more difficult to make.

If he burns his redshirt this year, then it becomes a real possibility. Until then, it's not something we have any good reason to worry about.

Well, if we actually let our other QBs see the field we might have an idea of what we have. This is what we do know. We have a QB who is average at best.

Well, one thing I think we could do to reinforce the position, while keeping Taylor in there as the veteran starter, is work in 20 Wildcat snaps a game. Keep us steady, get us into good 2nd and 3rd down situations. Rex could really make a living out of doing that, and it lets us work in our other backs simultaneously - Heard or Abdullah in particular.

And if Tommy or Jamal could do it, then put the ball in those guys' hands. It's not a wasted redshirt if Tommy gets 20 snaps a game for the rest of the year.

Well, if we actually let our other QBs see the field we might have an idea of what we have. This is what we do know. We have a QB who is average at best.

We know what we have, and it's not much. That's why people calling for TM to be benched are crazy.