Bo's recruiting style

There's a thread in the football forum named, "Bo gets it, finally." Some recruiting things came up in it. Anyway, I mentioned how Bo needs to be much more aggressive with recruiting and how there are times when there's a recruit on a trip here and really wants to commit, but Bo won't push for and take the commit and instead will tell him to go home and think about it, and make sure Nebraska is something he really wants.

So, of course, it gets called BS on. Now I follow recruiting, but I'm not in the know as much as a few of you, so I take alot of my info from what you guys post. I'm positive I've heard this is something Bo does from you members who have some direct insight into our recruiting, am I correct in saying it????? Please, someone who knows help, or else maybe I am just crazy.

I would really like to know as well. I just want to see some hard proof before I retract my bs opinion. I'm not calling you crazy by any means. I just dont understand why this would happen, and dont really understand it. I want to see articles/interview where this is stated before I go on my own rant. :D

Edit: I should also add that I dont doubt that this may have happened in an individual instance or two an word got out about it. But if that is the case, it still shoudnt be seen as a generalization of the staff's recruiting practices, because youre statement, intentional or not, imply that this is happening all the time, and yet for someone like myself who listens to all the sports talk shows and sports nightlys watches the big red wrap ups and considers myself to be very well informed on the program, this is the first Ive ever heard of it.

Also, excellent move bringing this up in recruiting where it can be noticed, and maybe some light can be shed on it. :thumbs

I'm not in the know as much as some of the bigger figures around the recruiting section (Aspeed, PaulCrewe), but recruiting is really all I use the site for and have used the site for the past two years. From what I've noticed...

Yep. That's exactly what happens. That's why we rarely ever see anyone commit on a visit. The coaches send the players home, tell them they need to talk it over with their parents first and make sure that its truly what they want. From my understanding, it's done for the purpose of reducing the number of decommitments- making sure the kids are solid before we are willing to take their word for it. However, I think we could be doing a lot more as far as pushing the issue goes when they're here. Enough getting burned.

I don't think it's about being nice. It's about making sure the kid is certain and, probably more than anything, that the kid gets a chance to talk it over with his family. It's the right thing to do, and it also (as mentioned above) should reduce the incidence of decommits. It also should help sell any parent that's worth a darn.

From everything I have read, Bo makes wining the parents almost as much a priority as wining the kid. Comments you hear all the time is they feel if they can get a kid on campus with his parents, then they feel really good about keeping the kid. I would also go along with the theory they do not want a kid to commit under a hard sell, and back out a week or whatever later after they may have backed off on another kid in the same position.

Hey, may be looking like I may be wrong. Anyone else? >CN Red, you may be right. I could admit it. I'd like to see more though. It's just hard to believe, but I will also say that I understand the mindset in doing, but it's also following the "nice guys finish last" type of deal.

Exactly. The latest issue that had the Recruiting section in an uproar was with Jojo Kemp. Nothing is official, and you can interpret as you wish. However, Jojo supposedly looked at Ron Brown as he was walking off the field after Wisconsin and said, "Let's do this again next year." They told him to go home and be sure.