Republicans and "the rape thing"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/john-koster-the-rape-thing_n_2051752.html

John Koster, a Republican congressional candidate in Washington state, said Sunday that "the rape thing" is not a good enough reason for a woman to have an abortion,the Associated Press reported.

Asked at a campaign fundraiser whether he supports abortion rights in some situations, Koster replied that he only supports abortion in cases where a woman's life is in danger.

"Incest is so rare, I mean, it's so rare," he said. "But the rape thing-- you know, I know a woman who was raped and kept the child, gave it up for adoption, and she doesn't regret it."

Man, these guys just don't learn... It really makes me wonder about them, honestly. They must have serious issues with women to continue to degrade them in this fashion.

This has, of course, been in the news for weeks with various Republican candidates making heinous and outrageous claims in the press about rape, abortion, etc. It hasn't hit HuskerBoard yet because, I presume, the position is indefensible, and no discussion really needs to be had on the subject. Much like MSNBC being full of fringe wackjobs, we don't discuss it - it's a given.

It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes.

One man's opinion: The question of abortion is a question of whether or not you believe life/humanity/a person/a baby/whatever-other-noun-can-be-inserted-here begins at conception.

If it doesn't begin at conception, abortion is morally acceptable in some or most cases. If it does begin at conception, then it entails killing a life/human/a person/a baby/whatever-other-noun-can-be-inserted-here.

So if you believe life begins at conception, the above story you posted can be just as easily flipped around on someone who's pro choice. Consider the following hypothetical:

Woman who is (insert age you find to be adequate of being responsible for her own actions) has relations with her loving, consenting partner. Woman gets pregnant. Woman doesn't want baby. Woman has abortion. The pro choice advocates say, "That life wasn't a life yet (for whatever reason), and it's her body."

That hypothetical is equally appalling for the pro life advocate that believes that life begins at conception. It's the murder of an innocent.

But the pro choice advocate will say, "You're not playing fair, mate. The hypothetical you proposed is nowhere near the same as the rape/incest reality."

If life begins at conception, then an innocent life is killed in both cases. If you don't believe life begins at conception, anything goes.

This has, of course, been in the news for weeks with various Republican candidates making heinous and outrageous claims in the press about rape, abortion, etc. It hasn't hit HuskerBoard yet because, I presume, the position is indefensible, and no discussion really needs to be had on the subject. Much like MSNBC being full of fringe wackjobs, we don't discuss it - it's a given.

Yea, I had ignored it for a while, and finally with this last guy, I just thought "do they never learn?"

Yea, I had ignored it for a while, and finally with this last guy, I just thought "do they never learn?"

Learn what? To keep their real opinions quiet? Anyone voting for those 3 zealots, might as well be voting for members of the Taliban, all they are is a different side to the same coin.

There are some real whackados out there amongst us. IMO, if you do not have the common decency of allowing a victim of rape or incest to decide to have an abortion if they wish, then you are one of those many whackados. I believe killing a life is wrong but, sometimes on rare occasions such as these, it can help to correct a greater wrong. Happens to also be my rationale for not having a problem with capital punishment. JMO.