Screens are an endangered species in our playbook

Also while we're on the topic, anyone catch the end of the big Alabama-LSU game? Notice the play that put Bama up on the final drive? Yep, you guessed it, a screen pass to the RB

Swing pass. a basic checkdown. Against a suddenly passive LSU defense that was in no position to defend.

Again. Screens are overrated the way the game is played today. So are draws. Running 10 screens a game will not win us an NC, and they would not have the effect on defenses that so many think they would.

Again. Screens are overrated the way the game is played today. So are draws. Running 10 screens a game will not win us an NC, and they would not have the effect on defenses that so many think they would.

Not sure what you're basing assertions like this on, when you can flip on a ton of Top 25 teams any given weekend and see screen passes being used effectively, especially WR screens. Hell, watch some NFL this afternoon and count 'em too. Like I said, Stoops and Oklahoma uses them all the time, and usually get a minimum of 5 to 8 yards on one. We don't have many runs that yield that kind of yardage, yesterday most runs were going for 0 to 3 yards on average if you don't count the two long Taylor runs on the zone read. WR screens force DBs to play off of WRs, which keeps WRs from getting jammed and thereby getting them a first step.

Also, the game-winning pass in the alabama game to TJ Yeldon was indeed a screen pass. Here's the highlight

--go to the end of the video for the play. Notice the two offensive linemen who release early and get ahead of the back for the screen.

Dont bring facts into this. That kind of behavior is unnecassary. As far as that goes, you meant the 2 lineman that never touched anyone? That's my point. That play is rather moot to this discussion. It was a glorified swing rout against a prevent D.

The fact that the lineman didn't have to block anybody doesn't change the fact that it was designed screen. Like you said, LSU was dropped deep to prevent a long pass, so the usual defenders to block weren't there.

Anyway not to get into a ticky-tack argument about the Bama play, my point is that there are a lot of ways that screens would be a great weapon for us to quickly get the ball to our best players on offense without putting too much pressure on Martinez to make pinpoint throws into coverage. It's a frequently used tool in spread offenses, so I'm very surprised to see Beck using it so little. Even the "glorified swing pass" that you call the screen in the Bama game I would welcome Beck using more often with Abdullah

Dont bring facts into this. That kind of behavior is unnecassary. As far as that goes, you meant the 2 lineman that never touched anyone? That's my point. That play is rather moot to this discussion. It was a glorified swing rout against a prevent D.

The fact that the lineman didn't have to block anybody doesn't change the fact that it was designed screen. Like you said, LSU was dropped deep to prevent a long pass, so the usual defenders to block weren't there.

Anyway not to get into a ticky-tack argument about the Bama play, my point is that there are a lot of ways that screens would be a great weapon for us to quickly get the ball to our best players on offense without putting too much pressure on Martinez to make pinpoint throws into coverage. It's a frequently used tool in spread offenses, so I'm very surprised to see Beck using it so little. Even the "glorified swing pass" that you call the screen in the Bama game I would welcome Beck using more often with Abdullah

We actually have used the swing to Abdullah. Our first TD was a swing to Ameer. It is a ticky tack argument at best and can be viewed both ways. I feel theyre just overrated in today's game, mainly because whenever we struggle, a lot of people think more screens and draws would've won the game for us. It's a repetitive perception that just drives me insane.

Another thing is we have too many weapons on offense. It's a good problem to have. No matter what we do offensively, there's always going to be multiple aspects that are not fully utilized.

I also want to add that screens are a timing play that require a lot of repetition to be well executed. Kind of like the option. If youre not going to spend the time required working on it, it will be ineffective. It's obvious this is the case with us, hence, I feel it's why theyre not atop of our book. I think our offense is plent effective without'em.

Equating screens and draws is a little much--I would agree with you that RB draw plays, particularly out of the shotgun, have become pretty useless in college and pro football. On the other hand, screens have become more evolved and elaborate. Nobody is claiming that screen plays alone are going to "win the game for us", or turn us from this team into Bama or Oregon, but it's a potent weapon to use with the awesome talent we have at WR this year. If our receivers were still Niles Paul and Brandon McKinnie, then yes probably low-upside play. But you're telling me that getting the ball to Jamal Turner, Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, or Ameer Abdullah in the open field doesn't have the very good potential of a big play? Nobody is saying let's just turn this offense into running game and screen passes, but how many times have we seen Beck call passing play with multiple downfield receivers with the pass rush bearing down on Martinez? This is where WR screens would be a much easier pass for Martinez to make without taking the time in which the pass rush could get to him, and then you have the defense trying to deal with our most athletic players in space. I would take that matchup over Martinez going through progressions out of the pocket.

What is your point?

Point is Martinez often makes questionable decisions. Use the WR screen game more often to give him an easy, high-percentage pass while at the same time getting the ball to our most athletic players and make the opposing pass rush think twice about how fast they rush the QB on future plays.

Screens are overrated. So are draws. It's a different game. The combination of speed and evolved schemes of defenses just dont allow for these things to be consistently effective. Whenever our offense struggles, all we here is "more screens and draws derpa derpa". No. Case in point. Each team ran a screen today. Each one was nearly a pick 6? Why? Becuase defenses read them. When the oline is letting the entire dline go, they no somethings up. Gholston and Compton both hold up and nearly come up with turnovers. There's your screen pass.

You must not have seen what Bama did to beat LSU