All their eggs were in this basket

Do you guys think that if we compete and beat Georgia it will wash the stank off the program remaining from the CCG? A bowl win and 11-3 season would sure make it a BETTER offseason.

I hope they pull it together for January. You know, for the kids.

Considering mass majority was that we would go 7-5 this season, I don't know why people are so glum. Yes, it would make a much better offseason, and would be a very good season.

There were some that thought we'd go 7-5, I'm sure. There always is. But It's a bit of a stretch to say it was the opinion of the majority of Nebraska fans. I'm sure most of that sentiment dissipated after we found out what a joke the Big Ten is this year.

Anything less than a conference championship should be widely considered a failure in any season at a program like Nebraska. This is Pelini's 5th year, these are his guys. There's no more excuses.

You think 10 out of Tom Osborne's 15 seasons as head coach were failures?

Do you guys think that if we compete and beat Georgia it will wash the stank off the program remaining from the CCG? A bowl win and 11-3 season would sure make it a BETTER offseason.

Considering mass majority was that we would go 7-5 this season, I don't know why people are so glum. Yes, it would make a much better offseason, and would be a very good season.

There were some that thought we'd go 7-5, I'm sure. There always is. But It's a bit of a stretch to say it was the opinion of the majority of Nebraska fans. I'm sure most of that sentiment dissipated after we found out what a joke the Big Ten is this year.

Anything less than a conference championship should be widely considered a failure in any season at a program like Nebraska. This is Pelini's 5th year, these are his guys. There's no more excuses.

Not only that, but we gave up SEVENTY points. It's not that we lost the conference championship game, it's that we got completely and thoroughly humiliated. It'd be one thing if we had a heartbreaking loss to Wisconsin in OT. 70-31 is another matter entirely.

Tom Osborne won 13 conference titles in 25 years, and yes, those other seasons were considered failures. Any season where we lost to Oklahoma was considered a failure.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this question. I'm sure Osborne coached longer than that, and wasn't it you complaining that we still use him as a base comparison?

But yes, anytime we don't win a conference title, that's a failure.

We should use TO as a base comparison, because what he and Devaney did is what Nebraska football is supposed to be.

It's supposed to be conference and national championships. It's supposed to be 11, 12 win seasons. It's supposed to be wins over top 25, top 15, top 10, top 5 teams. It's supposed to be blowing out lesser opponents by 30, 40, 50 points.

Nebraska football is supposed to be championship football. Not "runner-up football" or bowl losses. Not 9 and 10 win seasons with blowout losses. Not embarassments on national television.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this question. I'm sure Osborne coached longer than that, and wasn't it you complaining that we still use him as a base comparison?

But yes, anytime we don't win a conference title, that's a failure.

Sorry, screwed up my math. He won 13 conference championships in 25 years, leaving 12 where he didn't. So Tom Osborne failed at his job almost half of the time, by our standard of championships or bust.

Why would we keep someone employed who could only accomplish their standard of success one out of two years?

Sorry, screwed up my math. He won 13 conference championships in 25 years, leaving 12 where he didn't. So Tom Osborne failed at his job almost half of the time, by our standard of championships or bust.

Why would we keep someone employed who could only accomplish their standard of success one out of two years?

Because he's Tom f'ing Osborne.

tom-osborne-p1.jpg

Because in his 6th year, Tom Osborne finally beat Oklahoma. 1978. Finally got it done. That bought him more time.

Winning a conference title once every other year is a tremendous success rate. Nobody's mad at Pelini because he hasn't won a conference title every other season. They're upset because he hasn't won one in five years. No different than how Osborne was nearly fired before that breakthrough in 1978.

Because he's Tom f'ing Osborne.

tom-osborne-p1.jpg

People forget he nearly was fired and nearly took the Colorado coaching job

http://m.omaha.com/o...ll=true#display

"I think our fans are better than most fans anywhere," Osborne said. "Very knowledgeable. They watch football closely.

"But I do also remember back in 1968, the second of two 6-4 seasons, we lost our last game to Oklahoma 47-0.

"There was a petition in Omaha to get rid of Bob (Devaney). That wasn't taken too seriously. But there was a serious effort to have Bob shake up his staff. At the time, I was 32 and had three kids. I was kind of interested in what happened.

"Most people would have liked to have seen Bob get rid of some coaches. But get rid of Bob? Not so much. He'd won some championships. He was the one who turned it around."

Then there were the 1976 to '78 years. Back then, there were no call-in shows, but the voices from coffee shops, and regents, spoke loudly enough. Some folks thought that the guy named Osborne was a coordinator only, not a head coach.

"The year we played in the Bluebonnet Bowl (1976), there was a reception put on by the regents," Osborne said. "One regent pulled me aside and said it was fortunate I had won the bowl game because if I hadn't I was going to be fired.

"Whether that was true or not, I don't know. Bob would not have been in favor of that."

Because in his 6th year, Tom Osborne finally beat Oklahoma. 1978. Finally got it done. That bought him more time.

Winning a conference title once every other year is a tremendous success rate. Nobody's mad at Pelini because he hasn't won a conference title every other season. They're upset because he hasn't won one in five years. No different than how Osborne was nearly fired before that breakthrough in 1978.

This is what I mean. It took Tom a lot of time to get over the hump that was keeping him from "success" in the fans eyes. It's taking Bo time too. He may be able to get there, he may not.

One thing I will say, though, is that Tom never, ever talked with his teams about winning and losing. Never came up. That's because he didn't particularly care much about wins and losses, he cared about educating, leading, serving, and loving the boys that he brought in and helping them to become men on the way out. The winning took care of itself because of his commitment to these other pillars.

The one thing Osborne never talked about is winning. The only thing we seem to talk about is winning.

This is what I mean. It took Tom a lot of time to get over the hump that was keeping him from "success" in the fans eyes. It's taking Bo time too. He may be able to get there, he may not.

One thing I will say, though, is that Tom never, ever talked with his teams about winning and losing. Never came up. That's because he didn't particularly care much about wins and losses, he cared about educating, leading, serving, and loving the boys that he brought in and helping them to become men on the way out. The winning took care of itself because of his commitment to these other pillars.

The one thing Osborne never talked about is winning. The only thing we seem to talk about is winning.

I think there are plenty of people who appreciate what Bo has done in terms of the players grades and discipline off the field. I'm one of them.

But you've been claiming that the fans and media are being unfair to Bo, that they're measuring him differently than they measured Osborne. They're not. Osborne was on the hot seat (which I'm not even sure Bo is really on), and Osborne's teams were never blown out in the same manner that Bo's teams have been. That 47-0 loss that Devaney suffered was brutal, but that was before we had won any national championships, before we were a national brand - standards changed after that.

That, and like you said, we just gave up 70 points to Wisconsin. And Pelini isn't a huge reason why we won 2 national titles, like Osborne was at that time.

honestly, the way i see it, who cares? Its a bowl game. Do you know what you get if you win? a piece of metal with some writing on it. The kids still get to go to Orlando and have a good time with the nice weather and fun trip. By the time Jan 1st rolls around the kids won't be thinking about the CCG, they are going to try to erase that game as quick as they can. And for all we know they could come out ready to prove that we aren't as bad as we played and i think they will play hard. We won't win, but we will compete imo. This is a different situation that the Udub game at the holiday bowl. These kids will be hearing sh#t for the next 4 weeks about how bad they played and rumors of coaches fired and all sorts of adversity, but that will make them only want to practice and plan harder to prove everyone wrong. I know players on this team, they won't give up. It sucks massive D that we can't show up in a big game and win a CCG for once, especially after we all felt this was our best chance and we finally got over the hump. Oh well, sh#t happens, life goes on. GBR

I'm confused as to which team you watch.

That defense gave up last night.

I think you have to show up to be able to quit.